US F-16s in Europe

bar side

Trying to work out when the USAF first deployed F-16s to Europe.  I have read that Spangdahlem got theirs in 1987, but not sure if there were any previous deployments.

thanks in anticipation

Hahn 50th TFW F-16A/B from 1982 (tailcode HR), converted to C/D models 85-86. Torrejon Spain (tailcode TJ) 401 TFW got F-16A/B in 1983 and C/D in 1987, eventually moving to Aviano Italy in early 90's. Ramstein (tailcode RS) 86th TFW replaced their F-4's for F-16C/D's in 1985. The 52nd TFW at Spangdahlem  (tailcode SP) F-16 C/D's in 1985 initially replacing F-4E's and supplementing the F-4G wild weasel in the SEAD role as a mixed hunter/killer teams - the vipers would eventually replace the F-4G's in the mid 90's. The 527th TFTAS (tailcode WR) took on the aggressor role with ex Hahn F-16's at RAF Woodbridge after the previous F-5E unit disbanded and reformed moving from RAF Alconbury to Bentwaters/Woodbridge around 1988 these retained the standard grey scheme unlike the current Nellis/Elison  aggressor vipers, the unit disbanded in the early 1990's as the A-10 units at the same base also were disbanded. Last USAFE viper wing 31 TFW with its the AV tailcodes F-16 C/D's from 1994 taking over from the previous 401st TFW.   

• Like 2

Thank you for those updates.  Most useful & informative.  I have an F-16A/C kit (Academy 1/48) and plan to get decals to represent a European early 80s jet.  Hahn (HR) looks a tricky code to get but SP codes are about.  WR is tempting though.

55 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Blackbird Models.

I looked there as I got a Speedhunter sheet from them not so long back, but they don't have that F-16 sheet in stock at the moment.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:15 PM, philbrad said:

Hahn 50th TFW F-16A/B from 1982 (tailcode HR), converted to C/D models 85-86. Torrejon Spain (tailcode TJ) 401 TFW got F-16A/B in 1983 and C/D in 1987, eventually moving to Aviano Italy in early 90's. Ramstein (tailcode RS) 86th TFW replaced their F-4's for F-16C/D's in 1985. The 52nd TFW at Spangdahlem  (tailcode SP) F-16 C/D's in 1985 initially replacing F-4E's and supplementing the F-4G wild weasel in the SEAD role as a mixed hunter/killer teams - the vipers would eventually replace the F-4G's in the mid 90's. The 527th TFTAS (tailcode WR) took on the aggressor role with ex Hahn F-16's at RAF Woodbridge after the previous F-5E unit disbanded and reformed moving from RAF Alconbury to Bentwaters/Woodbridge around 1988 these retained the standard grey scheme unlike the current Nellis/Elison  aggressor vipers, the unit disbanded in the early 1990's as the A-10 units at the same base also were disbanded. Last USAFE viper wing 31 TFW with its the AV tailcodes F-16 C/D's from 1994 taking over from the previous 401st TFW.   

If ever a question was more fully and comprehensively answered I've yet to see it! Some great information there purely as an observer of the original question. Some knowledgeable people for sure on this forum.

Why thank you, and thinking back it will be 36 year since I first saw an HR tailcoded F-16A at the Mildenhall Air Fete 82. Always been a fan of the F-16 in all variants but especially have a soft spot for them at their prime with USAFE in the 80's and 90's. 

BAR SIDE get us some shots of your model upwhen you can. Always got time for an F-16 project :)

Edited by philbrad

Well @philbrad that got me thinking.  Looks like I missed Air Fete 82, but was there 80, 81 & 83.  This is the F-16 page on the calendar.  I remember getting a t-shirt with the F-16 prototype on it that I wouldn’t take off.  Wonder where this hobby got started for me? 😉

LwtC5Kv_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

That's the exact photo I was thinking of the original Hahn F-16A's. In fact I seem to remember building one of those 313 TFS aircraft in the photo from the old Airfix 1/72nd scale. If I recall Hasegawa did a good variant of the Hahn 50 TFW boss bird with its RED/WHITE/BLUE tail stripe and gorgeous Falcon motif on the tail. I remember those calendars well. So miss the annual trek to 'the 'hall' at the end of May. 

Yes, feel lucky to have seen Lightnings doing vertical take offs, Vulcan displays when they weren’t preserving engines & airframe, starfighter displays from mad Dutchmen, and Blackbirds and TR1 flights.  Do miss the Hall shows, despite now working everyday under the flight path.  See lots of KC-135s, Rivet Joints, Ospreys and Hercs, plus the odd Reaper from the Heath and Tonka from Marham, not to mention Wattisham Apaches.  So not all bad!