An old kit recovered for a special cause,.....1/72nd Italeri Hercules C.1P, 25th Anniversary, RAF Lyneham, early 90`s.

Hiya Folks,

While tidying up I came across this model which had been built in the early 1990`s while serving in the Army,....it had seen better says, it`s wings had been warped by exposure to direct sunshine over the years, it had missing propeller blades and was generally tired,..... but I didn`t want to reduce it to produce as the Herk has a special place in my heart,.... and I remember seeing this 25th Anniversary Herk out on the pan at Lyneham. So,.... I decided to spruce it up a bit, try to repair it and straighten the wings and then present it to my local Parachute Regiment Association,..... at our next meeting tonight!  

40302036630_f72bed21d0_k.jpgDSCF3344_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41389449964_fc4d94cc27_k.jpgDSCF3347 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41389449124_253575af04_k.jpgDSCF3349_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

I intend to replace it with a new build model quite soon!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 71

Very nice Tony.

I've just managed to get hold of a set of these markings. I just need a Hercules to put them on.

I'll bet your local Association will be justifiably proud to have your model in their collection.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody,..... well everybody wanted to have a play with it when I got it there so now the door is broken and I think some propeller blades were left hanging off too after everybody wanted to see if they turned,.....  but the surviving hulk is being displayed behind the bar!! A good night was had by all,.... good blokes!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Brilliant bit of recovery work and a great back-story as well - hope it went down well. 

I'm intrigued by the second image - is the nose peeling away from the fuselage or it it just an optical delusion?

Haha,.... well I hope that it wasn`t peeling off! It will be an optical illusion, maybe aided by the disruptive camouflage!

Cheers

Tony

• Haha 1

Very nice Hercules indeed. I had the old Airfix kit years ago.

Brings back memories of a very happy summer camp at RAF Fairford in 1970. Full of Herks and a Concorde prototype. Got quite a few hours in the back of several of these wonderful aircraft. They were Dark Earth and Tan in those days 🤔 

48 years on and I see them regularly from my house dropping Marines over Studland Bay!

Thanks for sharing!

Terry

• Like 1

Hello Tonyot,

Looks new to me. Impressive, with excellent decal sheet.

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1