1/72nd Airfix Mitchell Mk.II, No. 3 PRU (India), RAF, India 1943-44...PRU Blue.

Hiya Folks,

After previously building an ex Dutch Mitchell of 5/3 PRU in India wearing the earlier Dark Bosun Blue scheme,... here is another representing one of the later RAF serialled aircraft used by the unit,... these had been impounded by the USAAF before finally being re allocated to the RAF in India. These later Mitchell`s were fitted with a clear cupola in the dorsal position in place of the turret  unlike the earlier aircraft which had the position plated over and they also wore a PRU Blue finish, as seen on this model. As usual, the model was brush painted,.... there is as WIP is here for anybody interested in the cupola and camera positions;

Here are both models together;

41389441914_78aab5a447_k.jpgDSCF3360_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And here is the new model;

41389444984_4090921282_k.jpgDSCF3355_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41389443314_03fe6e340f_k.jpgDSCF3357_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

28236276738_757b2fae82_k.jpgDSCF3354_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41389442554_4ddd973220_k.jpgDSCF3358_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42063505712_8ec00ed19e_k.jpgDSCF3350_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41389447784_72f1c35fc4_k.jpgDSCF3351_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41389446304_c69f7ffe28_k.jpgDSCF3353_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 1

Splendid, as usual, Tony.

I recently took delivery of an Airfix B-25C/D and the DK Decals sheet so I'll be referring to your build when I get round to making it. I doubt it'll turn out as good as your one though.

• Like 1

Congratulations Tony , another fantastic looking build , I wish I could match your output in both quality and quantity.

Andrew

• Like 1

Yep, just plain and simple awesome.

What a fine pair you have there! (Ahem-hem)

Does anyone else find it a little odd that Mitchells were used as PRU aircraft? I mean they aren't particularly fast, long ranged or high flying compared with other beasties in their class. I guess in the CBI you made do with what you had.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for your very kind remarks,....I am just glad that you like it/them!!

17 hours ago, Beard said:

I recently took delivery of an Airfix B-25C/D and the DK Decals sheet so I'll be referring to your build when I get round to making it. I doubt it'll turn out as good as your one though.

I`m sure that it will look great,... don`t put yourself down! As long as you enjoy it, that s all that matters! 

2 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

Does anyone else find it a little odd that Mitchells were used as PRU aircraft? I mean they aren't particularly fast, long ranged or high flying compared with other beasties in their class. I guess in the CBI you made do with what you had.

When the only option was the Blenheim, then I suppose that the Mitchell was ultra modern! For the long ranges involved,.... flying from India as far as Rangoon and beyond, the recently arrived Mitchell`s were manna from heaven to the RAF,..... WITH 2,000 Gal of extra fuel in the bomb bay and the turrets stripped out,.... flying at 30,000 feet it was about the only aircraft capable of doing the job,.... although there were losses.

2 hours ago, airbus320 said:

Are there any aircraft types that don’t look good in PRU blue!?!

A man after my own heart lol!!

3 hours ago, Neil.C said:

Looks lovely in blue!

As above,.... yes it does look rather nice!

11 hours ago, occa said:

Wow I hadn't expected it but the Mitchell looks best in PRU blue.

As above!

Cheers everybody,

Tony

• Like 2

ToT,

Another great Mitchell? Ho, hum. Seriously, she's a beaut! You got the unpainted leading edge of the flaps, too, my friend- I AM impressed! So, have you gotten to the bottom of that case of Airfix Mitchells, yet? I don't see how you can be  so prolific, yet so good- at the same time! You da man!

Mike

• Like 1

Very nice B-25!  The new Airfix kit is becoming prevalent on this forum, and the excellent builds are inspiration to acquire one (not that my efforts would necessarily be that good).

Your PRU plane is a beautiful replica.

:goodjob:

• Like 1