Hawker Typhoon Cannon barrels

Knight_Flyer

Had a look around and a bit confused. Anyone know for sure if the cannon barrels were painted with both upper and lower surface colours or just upper surface colour? Instructions say both upper and lower and photos seem to show upper only and other photos couldn't really tell... due to weathering hiding the paint finish or poor quality of pic. It's for a Mk Ib should it be dependent on which version.

despite all the differences, the only Typhoons really used were all Mk.Ib's  (ie cannon armed)

the answer is,  well, pick a specific subject, and work from that,  but here's a load of colour pics

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787%40N07&q=typhoon

39 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

and photos seem to show upper only

which seems to be the case from the few colour shots

@Chris Thomas would be able to give a better answer I hope, and this should notify him.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The ones i've done have been top colour only.  I tried to do bottom colour on one but it just looked....wrong....

just my opinion of course! 😄

And @Troy Smith some great pics in that link. Love the one of the "open day" in denmark! 👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Definitely some good colour shots in that link and didn't come up on my google search.

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

The ones i've done have been top colour only.  I tried to do bottom colour on one but it just looked....wrong....

That thought occurred to me too hence I was wondering if in actuality it was wrong :D

The factory finish was starboard outer cannon barrel completely Dark Green, the other three were Ocean Grey.  It seems that the forward section of the fairings were interchangeable as I have seen photos showing the front half not matching the rear, but that was not the norm.

CT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

starboard outer cannon barrel completely Dark Green, the other three were Ocean Grey

Which makes the photo at the bottom of of the Flickr page @Troy Smith linked to back to front, the prop rotation appears to confirm that too. Perhaps @Etiennedup could fix that though if its a historical error it may be better left as is?

Steve.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Which makes the photo at the bottom of of the Flickr page @Troy Smith linked to back to front, the prop rotation appears to confirm that too. Perhaps @Etiennedup could fix that though if its a historical error it may be better left as is?

Steve.

Good catch, Steve. This is the proper orientation.

40331159540_90c150eac3_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for picking that up Steve......did the necessary on flickr.

Incidentally , according to the original caption it was SA-L.

Cheers,

Etienne.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2