USAAC P-40B, 79th PS, 20th PG, Hamilton Field, California 1940

Greetings!

New tool Airfix kit of the Curtiss P40B Warhawk completed in the U.S. Army Air Corp colour scheme for the 79th Pursuit Squadron, 20th Pursuit Group at Hamilton Field, California in 1940.  Airfix has done a great job with this kit and it comes together very easily straight from the box.  I did not use the kit decals and went with the excellent Starfighter Decals 1/72 Pre-War USAAC P-40B set #72-134.

Many thanks for having a look, questions and comments always welcome!

Bill

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

100.jpg

• Like 22

Bill,

That's a very, very nice P-40B! Great build and finish. This is not meant to be a criticism of your excellent model, as you didn't make the mistake, but I think the Starfighter decal sheet got the rudder stripes wrong; the red and white bars should be equal in width- look at the photo and profile you posted of the real thing and I think you will see what I mean. It looks like the kit decals have the white bands noticeably wider than the red. Can't believe they missed such an obvious error making the sheet.

Mike

Sharp eye Mike!  The Starfighter decal does have the correct equal red and white rudder bands.  I had a mishap with one side of the rudder decal and ended up painting the rudder white and then applying red and blue decal stripes.  The problem was my fault, the decals are very high quality.  Unfortunately, I did not have the correct size red decal stripe and ended up with what you see in the photos.  So now I have a spare Starfighter decal for just one side of the rudder!

Billl

That's a beauty!

I do love the Warhawk in basic olive drab livery - can't quite explain why, but it just looks right.

Fine job.  The aftermarket decals really set it off.

:clap: