Any sign of aftermarket FJ-3 decals in 1/72?

RidgeRunner

18 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I might have this style on another Superscale sheet

Martin,

I checked all of my Superscale sheets as well as the catalog I have that shows every Superscale sheet from 72-001 to 72-600, and I don't see any sheets that have the slanted CHINA LAKE lettering- sorry! I guess you will have to find the font and fire up your printer! My offer still stands for the other decals if you or anybody else can use them! IIRC Starfighter or Yellow Wings have announced 1/72 Atlantic and Pacific station names in white and black, but that's been forever, it seems. (C'mon, Kursad,  @CaracalModelsyou know you have to do these at some point- the Austin and San Antonio guys alone will most likely buy enough to get you that new Mercedes!)

Mike

Thanks to John M Elliott's superlative The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide Vol.3, (which wasn't in the garage after all but hidden in plain sight!), I've summarised the two main FJ-3D/FJ-3D2 'controller' colour schemes. As ever, variations were noted (for instance the wing bands were specified to be 3 feet wide but obviously made narrower on smaller aircraft), but these should hopefully give a good starting point:

FJ-3D2

FJ-3D2aa

Happy modelling!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 23 September 2018 at 2:21 PM, Sabrejet said:

Though I do note that the Caracal website says 72076 is FJ-2 also...? ("CD 72076: FJ-2/3 Fury Multiple USN & USMC options for FJ-2/3 Fury early jet fighters. Designed for the Sword kits"). Is there more to come in 72076? 

I hope so as there is no China Lake option there :(.

Martin

This is all there is in CD72076 and there is no "FJ-2 part". The Sword kits seemed to include markings for whatever few attractive FJ-2 markings exist. Feel free to make suggestions if you believe otherwise. 

I am still open to including one or two FJ-2 options as a bonus in CD72083 (the second FJ-3 sheet), but don't hold your breath for anything too obscure. I will release two FJ-3 sheets in this scale and move on - I have a lot of other subjects that I committed to delivering this year. Hopefully at least some of the options on the sheets will be appealing to you, and you will keep supporting my work in this scale.

Edited by CaracalModels

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Fj-3 VF-73 from pinterest. These would be my holy grail of Fury markings. 

Mighty purty, Dennis! Wonder where and when the photo was taken, as I think I see a Sea Fury with a yellow spinner 'way back on the LH side!

Mike

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe its a restored museum bird in California/Arizona ? The Sea Fury is a warbird.

Wow! Not airworthy? Wonder if that beautifully restored FJ4 is still flying? IIRC, it had a landing gear/hydraulic  failure of some sort years back, but was repaired.

Mike

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

This is all there is in CD72076 and there is no "FJ-2 part". The Sword kits seemed to include markings for whatever few attractive FJ-2 markings exist. Feel free to make suggestions if you believe otherwise. 

I am still open to including one or two FJ-2 options as a bonus in CD72083 (the second FJ-3 sheet), but don't hold your breath for anything too obscure. I will release two FJ-3 sheets in this scale and move on - I have a lot of other subjects that I committed to delivering this year. Hopefully at least some of the options on the sheets will be appealing to you, and you will keep supporting my work in this scale.

Hi CM, you told me a while back that you are including a China Lake exMple. Is that still the case?

thanks, Martin

Don't bank on a China Lake FJ: the promised FJ-2s on 72076 didn't happen. Tis a shame because there are a LOT of schemes yet to be done. For a start all those Columbus/New York/Willow Grove/St Louis Reserve FJ-2s - in both NMF and gull grey over white. Fingers crossed someone will do those, plus a raft of -3/3M/3D etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Don't bank on a China Lake FJ: the promised FJ-2s on 72076 didn't happen. Tis a shame because there are a LOT of schemes yet to be done. For a start all those Columbus/New York/Willow Grove/St Louis Reserve FJ-2s - in both NMF and gull grey over white. Fingers crossed someone will do those, plus a raft of -3/3M/3D etc.

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree, SJ. :(..... Let's pin hopes on other producers.

Martin

@RidgeRunner

Martin,

Is the China Lake lettering on the 3rd FJ the type you need?

Mike

P.S. Just got the 1/72 Special Hobby FH-1- very, very nice! Glad I took detail pics of the one at the Museum of Naval Aviation, mainly undercart, wheel bays, and intakes/tailpipes!