Any sign of aftermarket FJ-3 decals in 1/72?

RidgeRunner

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

A very good question, SJ. :)

Last reply I got from him via email said he was working on the artwork as we speak. I will let you all know if I hear something before any of you do.

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am curious. There are clearly many, many lovers of the FJ-2/3 series and my reading of the sentiment in most - if not all - posts here had led me to think that once released we would see many builds and a plethora of aftermarket items. None of this has happened. Why is that? For my part I am awaiting the Caracal release due this month. Am I alone?

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I am curious. There are clearly many, many lovers of the FJ-2/3 series and my reading of the sentiment in most - if not all - posts here had led me to think that once released we would see many builds and a plethora of aftermarket items. None of this has happened. Why is that? For my part I am awaiting the Caracal release due this month. Am I alone?

Martin 

I wouldn't hold your breath - I'm also waiting for 1/144 Caracal B-52H decals, which are shown on their website as 'NEW' (rather than, "Coming Soon"), but still aren't available on my usual go-to site (which begins with 'H').

I have built one (FJ-2 - loved it) but agree that not much else has been seen in the way of builds. I suspect we are all waiting for a raft of a/m stuff which may never appear. I did toy with the idea of making an FJ-3D/D2 and painting it, awaiting decal release/s, but decided against it. I shall buy some more Sword FJ's but suspect I'll do the usual and scratchbuild and commission my own decals.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Agreed, SJ. Very soon I'll be embarking on my FJ-3D and making up the markings myself as I'm not sure I can wait much longer! The white and black lettering and numbering will be easy. I have white stencilling, courtesy of some Microscale F-4 sets (I think you guided me to?) and the some star and bar sheets from Xtradecals. My challenge is going to be to draw out the China Lake lettering for the tail. Almost certainly it'll never be as detailed as your FJ-2 but I will use your build as a guiding light ;).

Don't hold your breath as I want to get the decks cleared and I have four builds half done and two in the pipe......

all the best, Martin

Martin,

I seem to recall Superscale/Microscale did a sheet 'way back that had USN station names in white, and I think China lake was one of them...probably as hard to get as the fabled rocking horse poo, though! I email Caracal every other month or so to try to get the FJ sheet moved up in the queue, but so far, no joy! Warbird decals did a 1/72 OV-10 sheet that had white China Lake lettering, but that would be kinda expensive for just two decals- the sheet was WBS172141. Starfighter decals has white China Lake lettering on their F4D decal sheet, number 72-156. Best I could do- sorry, my friend! (I thought I was the only modeler who goes crazy over a scheme nobody has decals for!)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added more information

Hi Mike,

thanks mate ate for the research. However, the China Lake Furys had black lettering. If nothing comes soon I will have to pull together decals sheets of white letting and numerals - NAVY, etc - and then draw the rest.  :(

M

Both: I know the China Lake FJs that Mike's referring to: they had white China Lake lettering on the vertical, sometimes 'straight' text, sometimes angled. I think all were FJ-4/4B though. FJ-3D/D2s had black lettering as you say.

Unfortunately I want to model one of the VU-birds so the CL decals won't do for me.

However thanks in any case for the heads-up!

Edited by Sabrejet

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Mike,

thanks mate ate for the research. However, the China Lake Furys had black lettering. If nothing comes soon I will have to pull together decals sheets of white letting and numerals - NAVY, etc - and then draw the rest.  :(

M

my mistake! How about Superscale 72-478 Naval Air Stations, all in black?  China Lake is one of the choices; I have this decal  sheet and if you PM me your mailing address, I will be happy to cut them off  of my sheet and send them to you, as I have no use for them. One pair is a scale 12" high and the other pair is 6" high. Let me know and they're yours!

Mike

31 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

You're a star Mike. On the fury they were sloping along the angle of the fin. Is this how they are? 

Martin

No, they are printed in a single straight line- CHINA LAKE. Do you still want them?

Mike

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Could do this one by the sound of it:

xx

Ooh, that's a pretty one! BTW, is the top of the external tank non-spec or glossy sea blue? Is the orange dayglo or international orange, and do I see n orange a band on the upper wing near the root?

Mike

Engine grey (IIRC) drop tank, fuse: yellow tail (not sure why it appears to be dayglo orange, but it's not): red bands on the wings. Standard-ish drone controller markings. I'll check the correct colours and get back. 

EDIT: tail is indeed dayglo orange but I'm sure I've seen yellow verticals too!

Edited by Sabrejet

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

No, they are printed in a single straight line- CHINA LAKE. Do you still want them?

Mike

That's a generous offer, Mike, but I need them in a slant. Thank you. When I can get to a scanner I will post a pic id.

EDIT: image

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

25 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

EDIT: tail is indeed dayglo orange but I'm sure I've seen yellow verticals too!

Hi SJ, 

Some certainly had yellow fins with orange/red rudders. 

Martin

• Like 1

The correct FS are stated in the Monogram Vol.3 but mine's in the garage, so here is a better shot of an FJ-4 in similar colours but with better lighting:

NOTE that the fuselage colour is definitely engine gray, as I've seen the drone/missile control colours described as dark blue, which it definitely is NOT! Let's hope Caracal get the colours correct if they do this scheme...

4 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Could do this one by the sound of it:

xx

Mmmm... I've not seen that one before. I prefer the slanted lettering though. Having said that I think 

I will be doing a Pacific zmissiles Center machine.

Martin

20 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I need them in a slant

I see what you mean- I might have this style on another Superscale sheet, as they did several decal sheets  with aircraft from China Lake. I will go thru my sets and see if I have these- will let you know.

Mike

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

NOTE that the fuselage colour is definitely engine gray

That's what I was thinking- weren't all of the drone controller/utility  aircraft like the AD's, TBM's, S2F's and JD-1/1D's painted in seaplane/engine grey, with yellow and red  flying/control surfaces and bands? I know I have a couple of color slides of a JD-1D my dad took at Itazuke AB in '54-55 that  was painted in that scheme. @Tailspin Turtle would know all about these schemes, I'm betting!

Mike

Like these puppies?

http://www.vpnavy.net/vu3_aircraft.html

Now here's an Invader with your name all over it, Martin!

http://napoleon130.tripod.com/id417.html

Edited by 72modeler
added two links

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

That's what I was thinking- weren't all of the drone controller/utility  aircraft like the AD's, TBM's, S2F's and JD-1/1D's painted in seaplane/engine grey, with yellow and red  flying/control surfaces and bands? I know I have a couple of color slides of a JD-1D my dad took at Itazuke AB in '54-55 that  was painted in that scheme. @Tailspin Turtle would know all about these schemes, I'm betting!

Mike

Like these puppies?

http://www.vpnavy.net/vu3_aircraft.html

Now here's an Invader with your name all over it, Martin!

http://napoleon130.tripod.com/id417.html

Very nice, Mike. I love those VU squadrons. 

Martin

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

In the immediate post war time frame, GSB was used on the fuselage.  Around the time that the operational aircraft went to light gull gray over white, the drone and utility aircraft went over to the engine/seaplane gray fuselage.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1