Any sign of aftermarket FJ-3 decals in 1/72?

RidgeRunner

Hi chaps,

I know Caracal have announced an intention but nothing yet. Any insiders know anything? My focus is on an FJ-3D.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

57 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Nope. I do wish that Caracal would either not post, "coming in many months" notices on their site, or get off their butts and release the beepin things!!

Agreed, SJ. Very soon I'll be embarking on my FJ-3D and making up the markings myself as I'm not sure I can wait much longer! The white and black lettering and numbering will be easy. I have white stencilling, courtesy of some Microscale F-4 sets (I think you guided me to?) and the some star and bar sheets from Xtradecals. My challenge is going to be to draw out the China Lake lettering for the tail. Almost certainly it'll never be as detailed as your FJ-2 but I will use your build as a guiding light ;).

Don't hold your breath as I want to get the decks cleared and I have four builds half done and two in the pipe......

all the best, Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Butt is fine surely?

I was hoping for something we hadn't seen before: isn't VF-154 a bit too familiar: done before in 1/48 by Esci IIRC. Fingers crossed the rest will be new to decal form.

In the interest of constructive criticism. 👍

23 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Oh dear, so no wonderful utility squadrons in all that colour. :( :( 

I'd really hope there are some in amongst that lot: the VU- FJ-3s wore some of the best-looking schemes, along with similar schemes on China Lake and Point Mugu machines.

Let's wait and see...

21 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

This being a proper British website, I thought terms like "butt" were off limits 🙂 

It is being worked on, ye of little faith. The first sheet will have both GSB and gray examples of FJ-3's.

furypromo1.jpg

I have great faith; it's patience that I'm lacking! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I'd really hope there are some in amongst that lot: the VU- FJ-3s wore some of the best-looking schemes, along with similar schemes on China Lake and Point Mugu machines.

Let's wait and see...

Absolutely, and I am planning on one of the latter, with or without the help of the decal providers. I agree, they were the best schemes, including the dayglo and White machines later in their careers. When you Google FJ-3 models you certainly see the leaning towards these with model makers so there is certainly a market for them! If Caracal aren't going that way who else out there is prepared to pick up this batn and run with it?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

3 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

I have great faith; it's patience that I'm lacking! 

Agreed. This is a no brainer and knowing the kits were coming the prep work could have been done pre-release. No excuses! 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Interesting thread this. Luckily not my area of interest per se but the membership seems to be getting somewhat aggressive, even dictatorial. CaracalModels must be looking forward in anticipation to the multi sheet orders heading his way. Just as well there's nothing else to occupy his time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chris57 said:

Interesting thread this. Luckily not my area of interest per se but the membership seems to be getting somewhat aggressive, even dictatorial. CaracalModels must be looking forward in anticipation to the multi sheet orders heading his way. Just as well there's nothing else to occupy his time.

A bit over-sensitive I think: I'm certainly not being anywhere near dictatorial, but I do feel like I'm verging on the frustrated.

A browse through the history of FJ- Fury models reveals a number of near-misses (Matchbox FJ-4/4B for shape); many more far misses (the aforementioned ESCI F-86/FJ-2/FJ-3 mashup being a very pertinent example); and also a number of occasions where interesting colour schemes have been overlooked in favour of really very drab and uninteresting colours (Matchbox FJ-4/4B again for example, but some of the FJ-1 kits are guilty of this).

RidgeRunner's comment regarding a Google of the subject is very pertinent: when you look at RC Fury models, you most often see folks doing the Reserve or drone director schemes (for the reasons I stated), and one would assume that's where the market would be. 

Finally, in a number of cases, kits and/or aftermarket have depicted the same schemes over and over: when you look at the FJ-3/3M alone, you'll find many, many colour schemes that have never been done before - and in most cases they are VERY interesting/colourful schemes!

So I wish Caracal the best of luck; and in fact my frustration is not directed toward them, because at least they are doing something (even if it takes a bit of time). However when one looks at the number of times you get aftermarket stuff released at the same time as the kit it's based on, you do start to wonder what's going on with this series of great FJ kits...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, chris57 said:

I never wish to offend, Chris. Like SJ, I am frustrated at the lack of interest from the decals producers for the subject. As SJ says, at least Caracal are doing something. I concur with SJ's entire last message. 

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaracalModels said:

This discussion is all moot, since the two sheets will have two different drone controllers, one from China Lake and the other from VU-3. But yes, it has become a tough crowd out here. 

Kursad,

If you posted the above, don't take offense- the FJ-2's and FJ-3's have been awaited for so long by so many modelers, that when the Sword kits were announced and finally released, the faithful Fury Fanatics were hoping that the aftermarket would release detail sets  and decal sheets to cover a variety of schemes and markings. (As you can plainly see, the Fury and Sabre have a huge fan base around the world ) I can only imagine how hard it is to please everybody's "favorite airplane" wish and still make a profit in a very difficult and small market, but think you have done well and have gone where many decal makers have not. Maybe a sheet with codes, modex numbers, Bureau numbers, and station names for the reserve units in black and white and using the appropriate fonts might be a good idea? Other than specific squadron insignia and spears/flashes, I think many modelers could make do with a sheet like this and making stencils for flashes/spears would be well within the ability of many of us. (I'm still patiently waiting for you to grace us with the WW2 FAA codes we discussed at the Austin and San Antonio contests!) Can't wait to get the C-119 and DH-104 sheets!

Mike

No place else like Texas!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

This discussion is all moot, since the two sheets will have two different drone controllers, one from China Lake and the other from VU-3. But yes, it has become a tough crowd out here. 

Then you’ve got my support entirely :)

Edited by RidgeRunner

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Maybe a sheet with codes, modex numbers, Bureau numbers, and station names for the reserve units in black and white and using the appropriate fonts might be a good idea?

An excellent idea, Mike. A sheet, or set of sheets that gives the modeller many options would be something that no other decal producer does.

Martin

16 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

You've made an old man very happy! That'll do!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting patiently (not) ;)

Seriously, I hope they’ll be along soon. Are there any other aftermarket bits out there? If not you should be using your FJ-2 build as a basis for the design of such bits, SJ ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

12 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Not sure I've ever seen yellow trim on a VF-61 FJ before: and all the photos I have of '215' show it with white trim only....

Oops - I think you’re right.

The trim should be white for the second squadron when the airplanes were blue, except when some airplanes in the squadron were gray/white during the exterior color changeover: see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2009/12/changing-from-blue-to-graywhite.html. Unfortunately, the decal maker appears to have relied on the FJ-3 color profile here, which is probably incorrect: http://www.wings-aviation.ch/21-USNavy/NorthAmerican-FJ/VF-61-1.png

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
Add links