Airfix Classics Launched

Leamy

39 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Does Airfix still hold a license to produce the kits, I wonder?

Probably not, but given no-one else is producing Wallace & Gromit kits & the age of the property, would it be that cost prohibitive? Might even spur new interest in our inventive cheese fancier & his clever canine friend to Aardman's benefitĀ šŸ¤©

On 6/11/2018 at 11:32 AM, Lord Riot said:

Any chance they'll re-release the Dominie, Jetstream and Beagle Basset?

Ā 

While they're at it, a 1/72 Andover/748 would be rather nice too!

Ā 

This is the problem with Airfix's back (aircraft) catalogue. Once you strip out the kits which are popular enough to have been replaced by modern toolings, what's left? With respect, it's a load of obscure 1960s and 1970s trainer and utility aircraft that in most cases haven't graced our skies for 30+ years. Don't get me wrong, I love this subject matter, but I doubt a Beagle Basset would fly off the shelves in the IWM shop!

Ā 

Ā 

7 hours ago, RussellE said:

Would be nice to see the Wallace and Gromit kits released again. Rare as hens teeth and fetching wild prices on ebay!

And an certain blue policebox would also be nice to ser again...

Cheers / AndrƩ

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Killingholme said:

Ā I doubt a Beagle Basset would fly off the shelves in the IWM shop!

Ā 

Ā 

Letā€™s see how they distribute these.I agree with the above. But if I was Airfix, Iā€™d sell the Classics mostly through my web shop and strong selling hobby shop partners, not my in my mass market outlets.. Keeping the ranges distinct is part of the rationale for doing them in the first place. The web shop provides aĀ way forĀ Airfix to make money rather than eBay sellers. And I donā€™t believe the Classics are going to entice nostalgic non modellers back into the hobby... they didnā€™t when they were just in the regular range, after all. No, theyā€™re tapping into the CBK Sig/Matchbox Group Build vibe, so theyā€™ll sell to people like us who MISS the Beagle Bassett or Beaver, and are prepared to deal with an older kit, especially if they donā€™t have to pay an eBay premium to get it in the first place. For example, the 1/32 Jaguar 420 wouldnā€™t sell tens of thousands, but if you could buy a new one for Ā£15.99 from Airfix instead of Ā£180 on eBay, then there are a LOT of car modellers and nostalgic ā€œAirfix Modellersā€ who would...

best,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Andre B said:

And an certain blue policebox would also be nice to ser again...

Cheers / AndrƩ

Airfix likely never even had possession of these molds when the licensing deal was current. These kits were likely designed, molds cut, and the production done 100% overseas. The molds are probably rusting in some Chinese warehouse today....

Ā 

As far as the 'Classics' go, well, trying to bank on nostalgia is all you can do when there's no money. It kept Revell/Monogram afloat. For a while. But it reeks of 'Here's Malibu Stacy, now with a new hat!!!!' Most of the kits are readily available, and going for less than they're going to ask for these new boxes.Ā 

17 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

Airfix likely never even had possession of these molds when the licensing deal was current. These kits were likely designed, molds cut, and the production done 100% overseas. The molds are probably rusting in some Chinese warehouse today....

Ā 

As far as the 'Classics' go, well, trying to bank on nostalgia is all you can do when there's no money. It kept Revell/Monogram afloat. For a while. But it reeks of 'Here's Malibu Stacy, now with a new hat!!!!' Most of the kits are readily available, and going for less than they're going to ask for these new boxes.Ā 

there's no harm in asking though-what's the worst that can happen? We get a "no" and move on šŸ˜Š But we might just get lucky sometimes šŸ˜

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Ā 

This is the problem with Airfix's back (aircraft) catalogue. Once you strip out the kits which are popular enough to have been replaced by modern toolings, what's left? With respect, it's a load of obscure 1960s and 1970s trainer and utility aircraft that in most cases haven't graced our skies for 30+ years. Don't get me wrong, I love this subject matter, but I doubt a Beagle Basset would fly off the shelves in the IWM shop!

Ā 

Ā 

You may be right but, Airfix did indicate in their recent blog that some of the aircraft kits would see limited production only. This may be one of them? Or, it may not even feature in the range at all. Personally, I never could understand all the the fuss over the afore mentioned Basset!šŸ˜€. We may of course both be wrong!!

I know you are only speculating though but, I rather like the rather obscureĀ  60s and 70s trainers and utility aircraft!! Throw in an Islander, Beaver and Skyvan or two and I'm in for it! Cessna Bird Dog and 0-2 Skymaster would be nice!šŸ˜€

Ā 

Allan

22 hours ago, Asmodai said:

Most of the kits are readily available, and going for less than they're going to ask for these new boxes.Ā 

I'd like to know where you shop. I'm interested in some of the figures and 1/600 ships. You don't see figure sets at Ā£5 and ships usually start at Ā£20 (price Ā£16 for vintage Classic boxing) so if you can get them for less you're very lucky.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ratch said:

I'd like to know where you shop. I'm interested in some of the figures and 1/600 ships. You don't see figure sets at Ā£5 and ships usually start at Ā£20 (price Ā£16 for vintage Classic boxing) so if you can get them for less you're very lucky.

You certainly wonā€™t find Rommel for a price near current official, or Mauretania, or The Classic Cars. Older boxings of Amazon, Hood, Bismarck and Belfast as examples used to be available at a max of around 12 ā‚¬ not that long ago, my most recent Belfast cost less than 7ā‚¬. Current S. 4 price would be upwards of 15 quid.

Now would be a good time to release the Airfix Footballers!

Ā 

That's a 'Classic' set for sure - theĀ players would certainly appear very ancient to a lot of people these days. For all sorts of reasons..Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Ratch said:

In broad agreement here. Out of the first batch, only the AFVs interest me but, some of these will be available at prices less thanĀ a current series one kit. I don't find that unreasonable. TheĀ  "double" kits like the PAK 40 and support vehicle, 88mm gun & tractor and, 40mm Bofors gun (a very decent kit actually!) are priced between series one and series 2. Not unreasonable in my view.

Ultimately, if anybody feels the prices are unreasonable then they are under no compulsion to buy. Even though the R & D and tooling costs will have been long recouped, there will still be costs in production. I daresay Airfix has already considered its pricing strategy for these kits very carefully. I am personally hoping to see the following added to the AFV range;

Scammell tank transporter

RAF Recovery Set

German reconnaissance set

RAF Emergency set

Centurion tank

Chieftain tank

Matilda tank

Type 97 Chi-Ha

Ā 

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

In broad agreement here. Out of the first batch, only the AFVs interest me but, some of these will be available at prices less thanĀ a current series one kit. I don't find that unreasonable. TheĀ  "double" kits like the PAK 40 and support vehicle, 88mm gun & tractor and, 40mm Bofors gun (a very decent kit actually!) are priced between series one and series 2. Not unreasonable in my view.

Ultimately, if anybody feels the prices are unreasonable then they are under no compulsion to buy. Even though the R & D and tooling costs will have been long recouped, there will still be costs in production. I daresay Airfix has already considered its pricing strategy for these kits very carefully. I am personally hoping to see the following added to the AFV range;

Scammell tank transporter

RAF Recovery Set

German reconnaissance set

RAF Emergency set

Centurion tank

Chieftain tank

Matilda tank

Type 97 Chi-Ha

Ā 

Allan

You missing the Lee/Grant and the Buffalo there

Ā 

Edited by Charlie Hugo

On 6/10/2018 at 11:50 AM, PhoenixII said:

You stop buying Airfix, P&L takes a 0.00002 hit, in real terms that's ONE cup of Coffee less at the next board meeting!

Don't underestimate the effect on boardroom decisions caused by having to dunk plain digestive biscuits in tea, rather than chocolate hob-nobs.... :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Hugo said:

You missing the Lee/Grant and the Buffalo there

Ā 

šŸ˜„Ā And the DUKW and, LCT with Sherman as well!

Ā 

Allan

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IanC said:

Ā 

That's a 'Classic' set for sure - theĀ players would certainly appear very ancient to a lot of people these days. For all sorts of reasons..Ā 

Yeah? They could reissue them as the special 1966 edition - a piece of history as ancient as England's World Cup win!!:winkgrin::rofl2:

Ā 

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Always thought they should have done an Italian Job set of three Mini's and that Spirit Of Free Enterprise ship.

Ā 

Paul Harrison

Ā 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GreenDragon said:

Always thought they should have done an Italian Job set of three Mini's and that Spirit Of Free Enterprise ship.

Ā 

Paul Harrison

Ā 

Or maybe a diorama set of the bus hanging over the cliff!šŸ˜€

Ā 

Allan

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Surely there's a problem with the Basset anyway, as part of the Kitstarter blurb was that if we ordered enough they would produce a batch and the kit would never be reissued? Also , the success of the Basset in the Kitstarter stakes will have taken a chunk out of the potential market.

Ā 

I can be tempted by a Matador (by my reckoning, Ā£5.99 is cheaper than all 27 examples currently available on eBay, once you add postage) but I'm really hoping for some of the modern cars range. Even if the some of the modern cars are now nearly as old as the vintage cars were when those kits first appeared. As long as they aren't packaged with four 10p paint pots and a cheap brush and priced at Ā£15.99.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tripod said:

Surely there's a problem with the Basset anyway, as part of the Kitstarter blurb was that if we ordered enough they would produce a batch and the kit would never be reissued? Also , the success of the Basset in the Kitstarter stakes will have taken a chunk out of the potential market.

Ā 

I can be tempted by a Matador (by my reckoning, Ā£5.99 is cheaper than all 27 examples currently available on eBay, once you add postage) but I'm really hoping for some of the modern cars range. Even if the some of the modern cars are now nearly as old as the vintage cars were when those kits first appeared. As long as they aren't packaged with four 10p paint pots and a cheap brush and priced at Ā£15.99.

That's a valid point about postage. One of the reasons I rarely use ebay for casual kit purchases. Your "cheaper" kits usually end up anything but that once you factor in postage - especially if you are ordering multiple kits/types and cannot get them all from one seller. At least by purchasing direct from AirfixĀ  (free postage for orders over Ā£30 or, your local shop (if you have one) that additional cost will not be an issue.

Allan

Maybe Airfix should push out Flightdeck in the classics box. Crap game in reality, but I bet enough of us would be silly enough to buy it again. (I would)

Ā 

Got me thinking. Besides the kit moulds, do Airfix/Hornby still have all the moulds, gubbins and rights for their games, such as Flightdeck, Fighter Command etc?

Ā 

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 2

Only if General Mills bought them off the receivers, 37 years ago - which I doubt they did. But they could do a Flight Deck with the new tool Phantom; some people seem to think itā€™s just fit for that purpose...

• Haha 2

On 6/15/2018 at 12:59 PM, IanC said:

Ā 

Ā 

1/32 ones or the later 'England Stars' ones?

A few years ago, I was talking to an Airfix rep and asked him about reissuing the SRN-1 Hovercraft kit. He said they might consider it to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Hovercraft's first flight which was in 1959, so that would be next year. I wonder?šŸ™„Ā 

• Like 3

On 6/15/2018 at 12:59 PM, IanC said:

Ā 

Alas, that set was a disaster for Airfix with very few sales. They failed to realise that football fans are not generally modellers and vice versa.

Also making kits to represent specific people whose fame lasts for a very short time is not a good idea as they soon get forgotten.Ā 

26 minutes ago, AMB said:

Alas, that set was a disaster for Airfix with very few sales. They failed to realise that football fans are not generally modellers and vice versa.

Also making kits to represent specific people whose fame lasts for a very short time is not a good idea as they soon get forgotten.Ā 

Ā 

I was going to follow up with that - to be filed along with Olympic merchandise in the 'it seemed like a good idea at the time' drawer