Airfix Classics Launched

Leamy

I see Airfix has launched an Airfix Classic range of pre CAD kits.  Included at the moment are some 1/76 soldiers, some armour and some ships.  They will be out August/ September time.  No planes yet, but looks like a good start, and not too expensive.

• Like 3

It's a nice idea and possibly long overdue. However, modern youngsters are no longer obsessed by WWI and WWII so I don't know how much it will help to bring young people and their pocket money into the customer base. I will be buying a few though! 

Regards,

Adrian

PS perhaps they could brand the classic range by bringing back the red stripe bag? ;)

• Like 1

be interesting to see if the 1/76 figures are being done in the original polythene, or in the styrene that the last issues of some of the 1/32nd figures were done in, as this made easy to clean up the seam lines and they take paint well.

Wonder if they'll re-pop some of the old tool 1/48th kits they have new tool of as 'Classics' as well ;) 

• Like 3

Long time requested and just goes to show that ‘perhaps’ some manufacturers do read and listen to forums like this. I’m glad that Airfix has chosen to use old style Roy Cross artwork and clearly label these kits as “Vintage Classics” - there’s no excuses now is there? Priced correctly, I hope these kits sell well and provide additional funds to allow more research and development for new tooled kits.

Hopefully a few aircraft will make an appearance soon, however I think that these kits share a common theme of minimal or no decals, so perhaps they can hit the market a little quicker than other subjects that may need additional artwork time. 

Cheers... Dave

• Like 5

Interesting. It does seem maybe they have listened. By using the original artwork you cant mistake these for new tool kits, and let be honest the original art work is excellent. 

There is nothing there for me, but I will be watching to see what else pops up.

Julien

• Like 1

This strikes me as a strange move. They announced that part of the Hornby turn-around strategy was to reduce the range drastically, and now they are going to release old stuff to bring the range back to the previous size. It may well be exactly what they need, but the way they've presented it might give the impression of rudderless leadership.

From a modeller's perspective a wider range and a clear distnction between classic and new tool is of course welcome.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

be interesting to see if the 1/76 figures are being done in the original polythene, or in the styrene that the last issues of some of the 1/32nd figures were done in, as this made easy to clean up the seam lines and they take paint well.

Wonder if they'll re-pop some of the old tool 1/48th kits they have new tool of as 'Classics' as well ;) 

It would be good to get the figures in polystyrene instead of polythene, always loved the Royal Horse Artillery set as a kid but could never get it to stay assembled!

• Like 2

Yes. I certainly welcome this move. I have long questioned the justification for listing old tool kits at new tool prices. Now we know exactly what is in the box. There will of course doubtless be lots of whining and whinging about releasing "crap old kits" but, nobody is forced to buy them! I will most certainly snap up the AFV kits listed! I hope this venture succeeds and, gives Airfix a much needed cash boost at a time it needs it. Certainly look forward to seeing some aircraft kits featuring in the Classics range

PSSST - Airfix  - how about ;

Sopwith Pup

B N Islander

Short Skyvan

F2H-1 Banshee

F4D-1 Skyray

F-84G Thunderstreak

F-80C Shooting Star

F-86D Sabre

Saturn 1B/Saturn V

Vostok 1

HMS Iron Duke

HMS Repulse

HMS Prince of Wales

Allan

• Like 9

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/airfix-vintage-classics.html

Good stuff. I really like this idea. Of course I'll be rather annoyed if the Endeavour makes an appearance after the only version I could get my hands on was a first- or second-edition boxing for an amount I regretted almost immediately!

Also, I hope the DH Comet racer is one of the first aircraft kits in the Vintage Classics range! Get rid of it from the mainstream line!

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 3

Great move by Airfix.  From reading their announcement they clearly intend to make these older kits easily identifiable, like a distinct brand or range so as not to confuse buyers as to what they are getting.  Looks like instructions will be updated at least for current colors so I suspect the decals, although basic would be of decent quality.  Overall I think this is a smart move!  I am waiting for the 1/48 aircraft to show up in this line.

• Like 1

This strikes me as a strange move. They announced that part of the Hornby turn-around strategy was to reduce the range drastically, and now they are going to release old stuff to bring the range back to the previous size. It may well be exactly what they need, but the way they've presented it might give the impression of rudderless leadership.

From a modeller's perspective a wider range and a clear distnction between classic and new tool is of course welcome

No research or tooling costs just those of production and distribution yet selling at full retail, strikes me that the phrase "laughing all way to bank" would be appropriate. If they've done their market research correctly and produce kits that are really wanted by we addicts then all is good, just so long as they keep clear of any of the aircraft they produced before the mid 60's.

I'd like to see the Beaver, Islander, Skyvan, Jetstream and A7 Corsair return if that's not too greedy.

Perhaps the 'non appearance' of a particular classic kit could be taken as an indication that there's a new tool in development..........

• Like 2

I agree that its odd.  A key issue was (they claimed) reducing the NUMBER of products on sale now they have reversed that!!  Maybe the inventory system that seemed to cause so many problems is now working or will they be on-line only??    I like the classic ships coming back!

• Like 1

Think the Jet Provost T.5/Strikemaster and Kaman Seasprite could easily be added to the list as well.

Hmm.  Have now looked at the link.  Choice of subjects seems dictated by perceived subject recognition than the quality of the moulds.  They range from the actually quite decent if a little dated (HMS Belfast, Bofors gun) through the average but now superseded (Panzer IV) through to the utterly horrible which should never see the light of day again (Panther, Bismarck).   Hope this is not an exercise in plausible deniability ie Hornby still get the dosh from sales but attempt to avoid tainting the Airfix brand by saying "of course this is all old pre-Hornby stuff".

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how this range does. Previously the clamour for some the older moulds in these retro series (for which ever company) hasn't matched sales.  Is this another range that will quietly disappear in 12 months time without a murmour?

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

There will be plenty who will build the likes of the Panther for nostalgia or just because they want to, regardless of accuracy etc. The SDKfz7 is on my wants list just because I always wanted one as a kid, but never got round to getting one. Similarly, the 6 and 26 pounders were ones I never got and fit into my artillery collection. (same for the Matador, although I did build that one years ago - the lorry in that kit will be welcome by converters). I bought the Bofors on it's last release, and it's still a very nice kit, as it the Opel and PAK40.

The ships seem well chosen as 'names' as well.

Interesting they give you the date of the mould on the website

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

As part of the chorus banging on about doing just this for a long time I'm quite glad to see them again. I intend to get at least a couple to see how much I can do to them compared to OOB. If you want to do a small scale knocked out Panther then Airfix give you that straight out of the box. :) Hard plastic for the figures would be excellent, then they can be cut up and reassembled easily. Don't forget the Astronauts!!!!

• Like 2

I think it's a great move.  I would love to build again those I built as a kid but knowing what I know now and applying my current (if basic) skills...

I'm in for an Ark Royal...

• Like 1

I hope they get the plastic right for the AFV tracks. These were always the weak link (pun intended..)

They need to be pliable and glueable - maybe like Dragon DS tracks.

I might have a go at the Churchill for old times sake - that defeated me a few times. I remember it had a million roadwheels and suspension springs!

• Like 2

I think as a rule, anyone contemplating building one of these can only do so with a tube of humbrol poly cement, no liquid poly. If you are going to relive yesteryear, then bring the pain in full!  😜😨

For what it’s worth, I’m really looking forward to these. Now, where did I put that tube of poly cement?!

Edited by March
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Sounds daft, but if they brought the Skyvan back out, I would buy 4-5... even though I'm not a fan of owning more than 2 of one kit, the Skyvan is one I would actually build 2-3 of and maybe keep a couple.

It's one aircraft I want in 1/72nd scale that's easy to get hold of from the Airfix range, that and the Islander. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BristolBlue said:

I agree that its odd.  A key issue was (they claimed) reducing the NUMBER of products on sale now they have reversed that!!  Maybe the inventory system that seemed to cause so many problems is now working or will they be on-line only??    I like the classic ships coming back!

I think the reason for shrinking the product lines had more to with a finding that less than half of the products were responsible for 90% of Hornby's profits. The reduction was to eliminate the unprofitable or marginally profitable items.

• Like 1