Neptunes, can someone enlighten me please.....

mackem01

Big differences:

1) clear nose replaces forward 20mm.gun turret.

2) canopy profile raised and bulged.

3) ventral radome location moved aft.

4) MAD boom replaces the rear 20mm gun turret

5) jet engines added under wings outboard of.nacelles

Some of these P2V-7 features were added to P2V-5’s as production progressed but the -5 never featured the revised RA dome location nor the reprofiled canopy. The dorsal turret featured on both but was later removed from -7’s.

• Like 1

P2V-5s were built with a twin-20mm cannon installation in the nose and tail positions, had a low-profile cockpit roof line that followed the line of the fuselage crown, small circular observation blisters below and behind the dorsal turret position and large wingtip tanks.  

The -7 introduced a clear-view nose, with a small trapezoidal window on either side, and deleted the guns and their turret.  The cockpit canopy was blown, the transparency being hinged at the sides and opening along the centre line, giving a bulged profile.  The ventral radome was moved forward around 3 feet, the weapons bay being lengthened forwards by thar much.  The wingtip tanks were considerably slimmed down and a pair of J-47 gas turbines installed roughly half way from main engine nacelle to wingtip.  The rear fuselage observation windows were enlarged and made square.  A number of antenna fairings appeared on the lower rear fuselage sides and the tail turret and guns were replaced by a MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detector) boom.

Just to add to the fun some operators, for example the RAF, had many of their -5s modified to varying degrees.  The RAF aircraft had the nose and tail turrets removed and replaced with the later “clear view” nose and MAD boom respectively but retained all of their other earlier features and did not acquire the J-47 installation.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

If you are talking about specific differences, the  P2V-5 is a bit of a minefield, as the others have said started out with fore and aft turrets, and advanced into a model with a Mad Stinger and clear nose similar to the P2V-7, most external differences between the -5 and the -7 are the cockpit is raised, the under fuselage radome was moved forward on the -7, the wingtip tanks were made slimmer and more streamlined. 

• Like 1

The Neptune family vas been a favorite of mine for a long time, with it’s exiting career and so many very fifferent types.. It was begging to be modelled. As a 3D modeller I’ve built several types of it and done quite a few scenes’ with it. Also it’s competitor, Martin Mercator has had my attention since I discovered it some time back, with an even more exiting but shorter life, it too has inspired me with it’s sleek and elegant lines..

I’ll post some shots of them, some day later ..

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Big differences:

1) clear nose replaces forward 20mm.gun turret.

Early P2V-7's were built with the turret nose. 

Also, to add some Dutch flavor: some Dutch examples were fiitted with ex-P2V-3 gun noses. A few of these birds even had air-to-air kills..!

Indonesia itself had already gained independance, but the Dutch still held a colony at New Guinea which the Indonesians wanted as well. To prevent Indonesian infiltration by sea and paratroopers, after a stopgap flight of Dakotas the Dutch Koninklijke Marine (Royal Navy) bought the Neptune. As more firepower was needed, the P2V-7B mod was commisioned to Lockheed. 

This may have been an exclusively Dutch modification. The gun noses came from surplus USN P2V-3s, but I know of no other users of the P2V-7B variant. The Dutch Neptunes were fitted with the gun nose on Lockheeds assembly line. Incidentally, only four guns were fitted instead of the six usualy carried by the P2V-3.

These modified Neptunes were called Nepfighters by the Dutch - in addition to the obvious Neptune reference, "nep" having an meaning in Dutch as "bogus, fake".

On 17 may 1962, #207/B (B-tailcode for Biak, the base of operations in New Guinea) shot down an Indonesian C-47 which ditched on the water with no casualties.

Another Nepfighter exchanged gunfire with an Indonesian B-25, scoring some hits before the Mitchel disappeared in clouds.

Further radar contacts were made during the conflct with Indonesian patratroopers-dropping C-130s, but these proved too fast for the Dutch aircraft.

Other operations including strafing boats.

(Incidentally, the Indonesian C-130 crews picked up and trained for their mounts at the Lockheed facilities at the same time the Dutch took delivery of and trained with the Neptunes. Separation between these two groups was strictly enforced.)

Later on, after withdrawing to the Netherlands, all these birds were converted back to standard SP-2H configuration with the standard glass nose by Lockheed for use as ASW planes in European NATO ops.

Source: "Op de grens van zee en lucht - dertig jaar Neptune bij de Koninklijke Marine (1982, red. F.C. van Oosten, ISBN 90 228 1868 3)

Cheers,

Andre

Very long shot here - does anyone have copies of Air Pictorial from August & September of 1972! There's a couple of articles in there and if anyone could scan them to me

I'd be really grateful.

6 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Very long shot here - does anyone have copies of Air Pictorial from August & September of 1972! There's a couple of articles in there and if anyone could scan them to me

I'd be really grateful.

£2.50 free pp well known auction site....its not me 

Many thanks junglierating, got those two on order. I have also ordered the Tigger models kit for a long term conversion project after I clear some of the backlog on the bench!

To that end does anyone know where I can find any good pics of the cockpit and bomb bay of an AP2-V5???

Leads on some 48th or 72nd plans would be good too......any ideas?

Edited by mackem01
additional request.

• 2 weeks later...

As part of my ongoing bits / info gathering for this project I require a snippet of info that I can't seen to find out for myself and I was wondering if the

hive mind could help. The dorsal turret on R.A.F. Neptunes - what type is it and is it done in 48th scale? Also does anyone do a belly radome similar to

the one fitted to Neptunes??

Any and all answers very much appreciated.....

Hello Mackem,

the turret is a Martin "high hat".  The Monogram  B-17 has a one, if you're working in 1/48 scale. Having done a RAF Neptune conversion with the Hasegawa kit, I can also add that the nose wheel well is different on the dash 5. The length decreases with the forward Radome movement on the dash 7. There is a good conversion article in one of the Airfix annuals, the one with the then new Airfix Sabre Dog on the cover.  

Just to add complexity, some of the dash 5 model acquired the dash 7 tip tanks and aerial fit. the Squadron Neptune in action book has useful pictures.

TW

On 6/8/2018 at 8:52 AM, Tony Whittingham said:

There is a good conversion article in one of the Airfix annuals, the one with the then new Airfix Sabre Dog on the cover.  

Just to add complexity, some of the dash 5 model acquired the dash 7 tip tanks and aerial fit. the Squadron Neptune in action book has useful pictures.

TW

I think you may be confused a bit here.  I have Airfix Annual 5 with the then new F-86D on the cover.  The table of contents does not show any conversion articles for the P2V.  There is a conversion article for making a Lancaster Mk VI by Bryan Philpott though.  Maybe it was in an Airfix Magazine with the F-86D on the cover and not the Annual?

Later,

Dave

You’re right. I did not have my references to hand. The book in question is “Making Model Aircraft”, by Bryan Philpott. My apologies for the misdirection. :(

The conversion is on page 103-110

TW

Edited by Tony Whittingham
Added page numbers.