When I opened the new Airfix Phantom FG1 I was  blown away by the various options for the finished model. I know the kit has problems with missing vents etc but this is countered by the variety of poses available. I generally build my aircraft 'wheels up' but I fancied a change. I wanted lowered flaps and slats etc but didn't really want to pose it launching so the obvious solution was a landing aircraft. I also wanted the hook down so this necessitated a carrier landing. Finally I wanted something a bit different to the RN aircraft provided by Airfix. A quick browse of Hannants website resulted in some decals and PJ Production aircrew (I still don't understand why Airfix omitted these). Fours months of work later and a steep learning curve with my new airbrush resulted in this:

27211989587_0a3fa7c5fb_c.jpgPhantom 1 by Brian Mather, on Flickr

28209508458_b01c562ca5_c.jpgPhantom 2 by Brian Mather, on Flickr

28209503538_26d01534b3_c.jpgPhantom 3 by Brian Mather, on Flickr

28209508108_025a4a4d74_c.jpgPhantom 4 by Brian Mather, on Flickr

She is far from perfect and I am not sure about the historical accuracy of an A&AEE Phantom landing on HMS Ark Royal but I am sure you will allow a little modeller's licence!

Edited by brianthemodeller
Spelling corections
  • Like 28

That's a really nice looking Phantom that would stand out in any collection. I agree with your comment regarding Airfix's non existent aircrew given the display configuration options.

• Thanks 1

Great looking kit, it is on my list of Phantoms to build.

Did you modify the nose?

Freightdog have a resin replacement.

What paints did you use for the Red & Blue?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jetgrob said:

Great looking kit, it is on my list of Phantoms to build.

Did you modify the nose?

Freightdog have a resin replacement.

What paints did you use for the Red & Blue?

The kit is basically out of the box - the only additions were the crew figures and the decals.

The paints are Vallejo Model Air and, from memory, are just called ‘red’ and ‘blue’! The red was applied over a white primer (Halfords) and the blue over grey primer (also Halfords) to darken the colour slightly.