Reaper Drone

Hello.

I'd like to add this to the group build:

180513 Box

There are pretty nice RAF decals in the box but I have also got some Caracal ones which have more stencils and so on:

180513 Contents

There are two kits in the box and it looks very nice quality.

Alan

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Evening.

Thanks for comments.

Size-wise, Robert, here is the Reaper dry-fitted beside a (still not finished!) 1/72 F-15:

180604 Size comparison

I've cleaned up most of the bits and pieces as you can see. The air intake and exhaust at the upper rear of the reaper are in right and left halves which don't fit too perfectly to the upper half of the fuselage. I've assembled them to the upper fuselage, concentrating on that fit. In doing that I've forgotten about a splitter plate in the intake which isn't in the kit. Doh! That would have been a lot easier to do with the intake in two halves. There's also a NACA  intake on the top just behind the intake which needs a bit of love. I saw a completed one at Hinckley a couple of weeks ago by Geoff of A580 Modellers. He'd got over the splitter-plate problem with an FOD guard which is apparently a rubber mat sort of affair shoved into the intake. I might yet resort to that!

More later,

Alan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Size-wise, Robert, here is the Reaper dry-fitted beside a (still not finished!) 1/72 F-15

Thanks, HUGE compared to what I'd imagined - and with that wing, a relativly slow flyer.

Good to see progress, despite the problems with the kit

Hello.

I'm glad there are two kits in the box as I couldn't figure out how to get the intakes to look neat having assembled. So, I've started again.

I've put blanking plates into the intake and outlets:

180610 front blanking

180610 back blanking

and some extra tabs,

180610 tabs

These should help a bit. With the front blanking plate in it is easy enough to add the splitter-plate and the tabs should make the fit to the upper fuselage better. 

Thanks for looking,

Alan

• Like 1

That's definitely the worst bit of the kit, Alan, the rest is pretty straightforward. I put a blank in the middle to prevent the see through look after joining the two halves together, and made the splitter from microstrip which covered most of the intake join, the rest took a tiny blob of milliput faired in with a damp brush. Inside was painted black for depth.

For the one you've built up already, the intake and exhaust blanks in the photos on this page appear to fill the whole inlet/outlet and shouldn't be too hard to mould from a blob of milliput shoved in the hole.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for looking, Dave. I've got the splitter plate in and am pretty happy with it:

180623 splitter

The NACA scoop is OK. Needs a few more blobs of Mr.Surfacer to smooth it out.

Might actually finish this one!

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Curses! I really want to get this done on time and find.....I don't have the right paint!

Looking in that model-room I couldn't have conceived that there could be any shade of grey that I don't have! I've got a day off this week and had hoped to get well ahead then. New paint ordered on-line...

We'll see,

Alan 

• 6 months later...