Douglas F4D-1 Skyray - VF-13 - Tamiya 1/72

Finally managed to get some photos done to show that I am still here! This is the Tamiya 1/72 kit of the Skyray which is a very fine kit and available for not much money. No fit issues to speak as you might expect from this manufacturer. The model represents the later "boat-tail" rear end (which was retrofitted) so check references if building an earlier version.

The one mod I did was to fit a refuelling probe to the port fuel tank which was made up from some plastic tubing and a Master brass nozzle. Launcher rails were from the spares box.The colourful decals for VF-13 were from an old Microscale sheet with rs2man coming to the rescue when the wing stripes on one side tore off when a bit of masking tape accidentally came into contact. As always seems to be the case, the decals on those old Microscale sheets never seems to match photographic evidence when you can find it and having selected a machine to build not on the sheet I then had to cobble together the rest of the decals from various sources. The BuNos and smaller numbers were home printed, the italic "AK" on the tails were from the Xtradecal Skyhawk sheet and various other Microscale sheets were raided for the upper wing codes.

What was interesting was that every Skyray in VF-13 seemed to have a unique set of markings with BuNos in different places, Stars and Bars at different orientations in the wings, different sizes of tail codes, different colour walkways and so on. Am fairly happy that I have got most of the idiosyncrasies right on this particular machine as there is a nice pic of it being winched onto USS Shangri-La. Quite pleased with this one and another addition to my USN collection - hope you like!!

28211783858_16ddc36cb5_o.jpgF4D3 

28211784028_49a06e3a62_o.jpgF4D1 

28211783608_e1d8a477d0_o.jpgF4D7 

41364930934_5b4ab1f477_o.jpgF4D4 

28211783318_edfe189566_o.jpgF4D9 

Pat

28211783738_f0914b469b_o.jpgF4D5 

41364930414_44f379f6b4_o.jpgF4D8 

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 37

I always quite liked the look of this plane - and coveted the Tamiya kit too - although I never actually acquired one.

Excellent build!

The panel wash is particularly well done - any hints or tips?

:goodjob:

• Like 1

A very nice rendition of the Skyray Pat.  Great panel line highlighting and an attractive scheme.  If only modern jets were as colourful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kapam said:

The panel wash is particularly well done - any hints or tips?

Thanks for the comments guys. Wash was just Flory Models Dark Dirt wiped off with damp kitchen roll. The crispness of the kit moulding helped a lot I suspect.

Pat

The Skyray is a particularly attractive little fighter, IMO, and this must be one of the best renditions I can recall seeing. The discrete weathering is spot on for 'breaking up' the otherwise monotonous grey livery – she just looks right.

Fab modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2