Polikarpov I-5, summer 1941, ICM 1/72

Hi,

Third of Soviet not very popular oddities - after Di-6 Sh and R-10 the Polikarpov I-5. This is predcessor of I-15 family (and later I-16). First Polikarpov fighter. In time of WWII oitbreak she was obsolete, use as advanced trainer mostly - and as a ... dummy target for Luftwaffe. This "white 6" likely was in use still in mid-1941. Following photo of this machine I added to model  spoky wheels made from PE part by Part and rubber  O-ring 10 mm diameter

41166393815_7f5dd640af_b.jpg

41166389525_3301e60740_b.jpg

27196355077_b38a2170b8_b.jpg

41166397045_f589ab0e24_b.jpg

27196361577_56e7b62502_b.jpg

41166400215_eb360948bf_b.jpg

27196364877_afc78e3047_b.jpg

41166402085_7d115c614a_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 36

Super! You're really getting stuck into the oddball Soviet stuff at the moment. She really looks a treat, particularly with all that delicate rigging and those amazing spoked wheels. Those double wire arrangements are a bit of a nightmare to get right. (I recently finished a Revel/ICM I-153 as a rigging experiment and had all sorts of 'fun' with the double wires so am rather in awe of your work here.)

It certainly has a bit of a US biplane fighter vibe to it, I can see why the Spanish Nationalists would call the later I-15 'Boeings'... I believe I-5s did actually see more proactive use in WW2, with some being pressed into emergency service as light attack aircraft in 1942 in the Crimea at least. More please!

• Like 1

Gents, many thanks! I appreciate. Those spoked wheels are simply to do with PE Part set... I reccommend :) I did them on Shavrov Sh 2 and Potez 25 TOE...

Regards

J-W

Hi Jerzy, 

Fantastic finished model, especially with the rigging and spoked wheels.

Can I ask how the ICM kit was to construct? (I have the early I-5) Also, what brand of paints did you use? I need to get some for my Polikarpovs!

Regards,

David

• Like 1

David, thanks

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Can I ask how the ICM kit was to construct? (I have the early I-5) Also, what brand of paints did you use? I need to get some for my Polikarpovs!

Construction of fuselage was a bit tricky. The pilot seat you have to bound from flat elemen, some parts are suppoused to be glued on sides of fuselage some to lower wing soe to fit all together requires some thinning.

I used Humbrol 117 and 65, but I assumed that before 1941 machine could be re-painted after replacing canvas. The early I-5 is likely from mid-30s, those times  dark green is a darker, 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JWM said:

David, thanks

Construction of fuselage was a bit tricky. The pilot seat you have to bound from flat elemen, some parts are suppoused to be glued on sides of fuselage some to lower wing soe to fit all together requires some thinning.

I used Humbrol 117 and 65, but I assumed that before 1941 machine could be re-painted after replacing canvas. The early I-5 is likely from mid-30s, those times  dark green is a darker, 

Regards

J-W

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for the information – that will be a big help when I get to do mine.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

On 5/13/2018 at 1:03 AM, Gazontipede said:

It certainly has a bit of a US biplane fighter vibe to it, I can see why the Spanish Nationalists would call the later I-15 'Boeings'...

Not exactly - these were I-16s that were called Boeings (because of the P-26).

The I-15 was named (and supposed to be a licenced variant of ) Curtiss.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

Many thanks Gents for your commnets. 

Next will be something from Spanish Civil War... ;)

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM

Very nice I-5, J-W! I look forward to your SCW model! Regarding the I-5's use during the GPW, it was used as a fighter-bomber in the Crimea in 1942, as Gazontipede stated, and also in the winter of 1941/42 around Moscow. At that time, the Soviets were basically using everything they had that was flyable.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Learstang said:

At that time, the Soviets were basically using everything they had that was flyable.

I am afraid hat against Me 109 it was not too strong...

Jason, thanks for comment

J-W

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:44, JWM said:

I am afraid hat against Me 109 it was not too strong...

Jason, thanks for comment

J-W

You're welcome, J-W! Luckily the I-5 never had to go head to head against the Bf 109. The I-15bis and I-153 weren't quite so lucky.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Yours collection and selection of models is realy impressive! And have to ad that I have soft spot for early Soviet aviation, so thank you for this beauty! 

P.S. First Polikarpovs fighter was I-1 from 1923. 

• Like 2