Aer Lingus F-27 Friendship in 1/144

Fokker F-27 Friendship EI-AKD

Aer Lingus, 1960s

2405393B

1/144 Eastern Express kit converted to F-27 Series 100 with Classic-Airlines decals

F-27 06

I bought this little kit from 26 Decals for £16 (ironically without decals!) (I later discovered that Hannants are selling it for £49.99 with decals – that’s quite an expensive decal sheet). Classic-Airlines.com already had decals designed for the Doyusha kit for £8 – which were adapted by Nick Webb to fit the Eastern Express kit, so I bought an Aer Lingus set.

The Eastern Express kit has the long nose of the later version and needed modifying back to a Series 100 which Aer Lingus operated. The markings here are the second iteration on the F-27, the first being the green fuselage top and white cheat line variety used on the original issue Airfix F-27 in 1/72 scale.

I had intended a ‘quick build’ of this one, but it never turns out that way, does it? Even though this is a new, modern kit, the fit of everything everywhere needed much fettling and large amounts of Milliput – you know the story I’m sure. But as usual I got there in the end and I’m quite pleased with the result:

F-27 05

F-27 04

F-27 03

F-27 02

Chris

(By the way, yes, I had noticed the Irish flag colours are the wrong way round on the Starboard side!)

Edited by CT Modeller
  • Like 47

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Beautifull job,love to see one of their Viscounts next to her...

I have a Viscount and Boeing 720 on the stocks....don't ask me how long before they're done though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a super little F27 Chris. I like the aerial detail and the exhaust stains, very nicely done!

This is one of those liveries which just seems to look right.

I think this is the first Eastern Express kit that I've seen finished. Must start mine soon, Air Anglia I think.

Cheers,

Ian

5 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

are the wrong way round

Great job , really like that. Something about the look of the Fokker Friendship that the HPR Dart Herald ever got near to. Decs are good too, not sure about Hannants £32 hike for them though.

Wouldn't worry about the flag. We converted an A300 from Pax to cargo at Filton. It was going to a Turkish Crate carrier Apollo  The painters started on it. I looked at the Turkish flag on the fin. That's the wrong way round ,no it isn't, 'tis, isn't. Crescent should be nearer to the Hoist, that isn't. Look at the other side ,Crescent is nearer the Fly End and facing the wrong way. Oh Yeah. Then excuse they dreamed up was ....On a real flag...One way is correct, go to the other side and its the other way 'round !

Oh yes I Just noticed the titles on the other side too. OLLOPA !

• Like 1

I have a huge soft spot for F-27s, lots flying out from Kingsford Smith headed west, Ansett, TAA, East West, ahhh, the memories 😎

Great work on this little beastie, beautifully finished 😍😎

11 hours ago, Turbofan said:

What a super little F27 Chris. I like the aerial detail and the exhaust stains, very nicely done!

This is one of those liveries which just seems to look right.

I think this is the first Eastern Express kit that I've seen finished. Must start mine soon, Air Anglia I think.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian - be prepared for a lot of work! It looks nice on the sprue but nothing fits - and I mean nothing.

Looks great, such a classic scheme. Reshaping the nose has worked perfectly.

I too have one is the stash (the 26 edition with Air Uk decals), I shall approach it with trepidation now. 😨

Cheers

John

22 minutes ago, CT Modeller said:

Hi Ian - be prepared for a lot of work! It looks nice on the sprue but nothing fits - and I mean nothing.

Sounds similar to their A318, I'm glad I got mine from Ray at 26 and didn't spend £49.99 on one from Hannants then!!

The EE kit is also said to be something like 1/147 scale too.

Maybe I should keep my Doyusha kit.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

I learn

5 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

.......... I'm glad I got mine from Ray at 26 and didn't spend £49.99 on one

I learned about Ray's kits too late, when I checked everything had sold out. :S

Thanks Ian, it's not my favourite aircraft, I was referring to that lovely F-27.  The B720's did fly in to my local airport (Elmdon) when I used to go plane-spotting, so I've ordered one, before even they have gone.

Apologies for the thread drift Chris; normal service can now resume. Thanks.

Mike

No problem Mike - always happy to hear aeroplane stories. By the way, if you oder a Roden B720B you'll be OK, but if you want the 720 without the turbofans I would recommend a set of resin replacement engines from Welsh Models as the kit engines are noticeably too big.

Beautiful model, Chris. You have every right to be pleased with the result particularly given the issues with the kit. I can (just) remember seeing the real aircraft at Renfrew shortly before Glasgow Airport migrated to Abbotsinch. 

10 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

I have to agree as I've been battling with one myself.

Taking my hat off to you as you've certainly made a silk purse out of a sow's ear there. Cracking job all round !

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

mike

That is a beautiful F-27!

Though it's not my preferred scale (I have done a few Airfix 1/72 builds) I love your multi-toned finish - especially the nacelles.

You're inspiring me to have another crack at an Airfix F-27 except I have to wait patiently for a re-issue (if it should ever come).

Anyway, I really admire what you've done.  Superb!