1/24 Bomb racks and bombs for a spitfire Mk Vb.

Antb

Hi chaps 

Does anyone know whether anyone makes 1/24 scale bomb racks and bombs suitable for a MkV spitfire at all please? 

I've looked online but can't find anything anywhere. 

Might be a long shot but would be great if there is. 

Cheers 

Ant 

Hello @Antb ... I did some checking and surprised there is little A/m for 1/24 Spitfires. I was thinking though you might be able to use the bomb from an Airfix 1/24 Tiffy ? I know Tiffy’s flew either Rocket loaded or Bomb loaded. They didnt mix loads. Im thinking you could place an add in the wanted section for a spare that someone didnt use or need. You just need to scratch build the bomb rack ?  

Dennis

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Antb ... I did some checking and surprised there is little A/m for 1/24 Spitfires. I was thinking though you might be able to use the bomb from an Airfix 1/24 Tiffy ? I know Tiffy’s flew either Rocket loaded or Bomb loaded. They didnt mix loads. Im thinking you could place an add in the wanted section for a spare that someone didnt use or need. You just need to scratch build the bomb rack ?  

Dennis

Hi Dennis, 

thanks for the input. Tiffie you say? Sold one a few weeks ago wish I had known as would have had it away 🤬. Joking aside it's a good idea posting in the wanted section so will do that. Thank you very much. 

Theres hardly anything in the aftermarket world is there. Strange really as you'd think there would be masses of stuff around. 

Ive never scratch built anything before in my modelling "career" so far but there has to be a first time doesn't there. I'm sure there are loads of references out there and I'm willing to give it a bash. 

Thank you very much indeed I'm most grateful for your advice. 

Cheers 

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What i do is try to use another as a master ? If you have a 1/48 or 1/32 spitfire bombrack you could just measure it and scae it up. Photo references are the next best way to go. 

I don't have either unfortunately. The stash consists of 2 at present. Running out of storage sadly. Need to get it all sorted. 

Thanks again Dennis 

42 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Glad to help. 

Hi Dennis 

Quick question. Sorry if this seems rather daft. 

But would 1/48 1000lb bombs scale up enough to 1/24 as a representation of the 250lb bombs carried by a spitfire? 

I've come across these here and it's got me wondering: 

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/products/ultracast-1-48-1000-lb-mc-mk-i-wwii-british-general-purpose-bombs-u48002

I'd be grateful for your thoughts if you don't mind? 

Hello @Antb ... my apologies for taking forever. I had to find the Dimensions of the bombs. Then do the math. Short answer for your question no. The 1000 lb bomb is to long and fat. I think a 500lb would be closer to your needs.

The overall dimensions of the real bombs.

250 lb - 55.5” long x 10” diameter.

500 lb - 57.8” long x 12.9” diameter

1000 lb - 72.5” long x 17.75” dia.

My best advice is go with the 500 lb bomb its very close in size. I checked your link, they do make them and they're in stock. I hope this helps. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Antb ... my apologies for taking forever. I had to find the Dimensions of the bombs. Then do the math. Short answer for your question no. The 1000 lb bomb is to long and fat. I think a 500lb would be closer to your needs.

The overall dimensions of the real bombs.

250 lb - 55.5” long x 10” diameter.

500 lb - 57.8” long x 12.9” diameter

1000 lb - 72.5” long x 17.75” dia.

My best advice is go with the 500 lb bomb its very close in size. I checked your link, they do make them and they're in stock. I hope this helps. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis 

No need to apologise whatsoever. I'm just really grateful for your help and advice. 

That's brilliant I shall get the 500lbers ordered. 

Thanks so much again. 

• Like 1

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but just looking at those dimensions, a 1/48 500lb bomb is going to be far too small to represent a 1/24 250lb bomb.

As you can see from the dimensions, the 250 was not much smaller in length or diameter than the 500 lb, but the the 250 tapers towards the back like a teardrop, and the fins/tube at back is longer. The 500 and 1000 lb bombs had more parallel sides for most of their length, giving them a more barrel-like appearance. Tail was smaller in proportion too.

1 hour ago, ben_m said:

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but just looking at those dimensions, a 1/48 500lb bomb is going to be far too small to represent a 1/24 250lb bomb.

As you can see from the dimensions, the 250 was not much smaller in length or diameter than the 500 lb, but the the 250 tapers towards the back like a teardrop, and the fins/tube at back is longer. The 500 and 1000 lb bombs had more parallel sides for most of their length, giving them a more barrel-like appearance. Tail was smaller in proportion too.

Hi Ben

Thanks for the comments. 

Short of scratch building the bombs this really is my only option. I'm happy with a representation of the bombs on the aircraft not necessarily 100% accuracy. So they don't have to be perfect or exact. 

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and I'm not wanting to ignore your comments as I am most grateful for you taking the time to reply. 

Cheers 

56 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

I won't be using the bombs or racks for my 1/24th Typhoon - they're yours if you want them. 

Tom

That would be fantastic thank you. I'm sending a message. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks like tom saved the day 👍

He has indeed. 😁