Airfix 1/72 F-86 Sabre - The repairs are almost done - It's a happy ending!

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Up until your statement, I hadn't notice the light 'fopaux'.

I was going to suggest writing a hint in big letters on the kit instructions but they most probably went into the bin when you opened the box!

Stuart

That would probably help Stuart! Out of interest, I checked my stash of other 1/72 Sabres, and it seems Hasegawa and Special Hobby also miss out those lights on their D and K respectively, but Fujimi do have a very faint representation under the nose. You live and learn.

55 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Just caught up on this - I never realised Sabres were so complex (or that New Airfix had got so many details wrong). Nice work and kudos on the multiple shades of silver and red/orange!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. After my Avon Sabre, which was a massive amount of kit bashing, I wanted something OOB so chose the Airfix one. It is a very nice kit, but others on here were able to highlight a few errors, and once I know something is wrong I just have to fix it! 

38 minutes ago, Biggu said:

http://lemdecal.com/F-86 Sabre RCAF Europe 72nd scale.html

A little inspiration for your NEXT Sabre build....... this is a great thread, I'm late to the party but enjoyed this a lot.....

Thanks Biggu. Those decals certainly look good for some CAF options, which is something I plan to do at some point. The great thing about the F-86 is that so many Airforces operated them in so many different schemes.

Work on those lights is going OK, but it's Friday, and I just may need to go to the pub later!

Terry

• Like 3

Nice work so far, I'll be using your thread as refs when I get to my Airfix F-86s :clap2:

Or maybe I just should go back and pull out my Fujimi Sabres and get rid of the Airfix versions :hmmm::hmmm:

Considering that this Airfix Sabre mould is from 2010 I 'spose we're lucky it's got only a "few" shape/detail errors. 👍

Unlike the Airfix Skyhawk kit released two years later which is just AWFUL with most everything wrong, (maybe a bloke from Aurora got a job at Airfix :laugh: ).

Then we've got the rag wing Hurricane where Airfix missed the metal panels on the wings, the new F-4K with missing vents . . . . . . . :think::think:

I love Airfix but these errors are . . . trying :shrug:

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, FAAMAN said:

I agree yet, you forgot to mention the not so good quality of plastic Airfix is using for the various parts (well, except the clear ones).

I recently bought the Jet Provost and again, I found wrapped wings.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:01 PM, FAAMAN said:

Nice work so far, I'll be using your thread as refs when I get to my Airfix F-86s :clap2:

Or maybe I just should go back and pull out my Fujimi Sabres and get rid of the Airfix versions :hmmm::hmmm:

Considering that this Airfix Sabre mould is from 2010 I 'spose we're lucky it's got only a "few" shape/detail errors. 👍

Unlike the Airfix Skyhawk kit released two years later which is just AWFUL with most everything wrong, (maybe a bloke from Aurora got a job at Airfix :laugh: ).

Then we've got the rag wing Hurricane where Airfix missed the metal panels on the wings, the new F-4K with missing vents . . . . . . . :think::think:

Thanks. Well there are definitely some errors in the kit, but mostly correctable IMHO, and I would build another, although my next Sabre's will be Fujimi, Hasegawa and Special Hobby, just for a change! Despite the wing error on the Hurricane I actually found that a very nice build. 

Some further progress from the last few days, drilling out those lights. First marking the position:

20181102_120945

Then drilling out. Note my trusty "Sabre light shallow hole shaping tool"

20181102_12142120181102_12164320181102_174250

Lastly after a re-coat of Alclad in the local area:

20181104_151524

I plan to run some very bright chrome Alclad into the hole, or maybe airbrush that in using my home made mask:

20181102_123810

After that some drops of Clearfix to represent the glass.

Here's a quick look at the wing tanks which have taken several nice coats of Alclad:

20181104_151652

Very happy with this. Need to do a long overdue update on the Sedbergh next, so some pictures of that later this evening.

Nearly there!

Terry

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Biggu said:

Terry, grab those decals sooner than later, as Dave sometimes doesn't print them on a regular basis, and when he has them advertised, it is well worth jumping on them asap..... to avoid missing out....

Jeff

http://lemdecal.com  

Hi Jeff, thanks will do!

Terry

Today's plan is another light coat of Alclad Klear Kote to seal everything, and get ready for a quick bit of further masking off for the wheel wells, to spray green, then black anti glare panel, then decals. I also need to sort the canopy, which will be in the slid open position. U/C is all ready, and that will go on finally along with the wing tanks.

Whilst I was getting this ones stablemates ready for Telford, a small "incident" took place which involved the inadvertent release of the MK7 Nuclear weapon (see the F-86H below). My heart skipped a beat, as it flew off the plyon heading for the hard wooden floor .................. to my great relief, there was no big white flash, but both the tail stabilisers did snap off, and one has never been seen since 😱

20180501_124834

So some quick remedial work was needed to build two new tail planes. More Alclad needed shortly! 

20181105_113815

More soon.

Terry

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

After that potentially hazardous mishap with the F-86H, back to the Sabre 4.

You will recall that the wheel wells remained in Alclad black primer............ All very nice, but the wrong colour.

20181105_145532

So yet more masking to be done:

20181105_150923

And then some light coats of Interior green, courtesy of Mission Models. Have a few of their to try out. It went on quite well but I deliberately made it light so that some black showed through in the depths, for shadow effect.

20181105_165436

I'll probably lightly dry brush this later on, with a slightly lighter green.

So more drying time, and back to the Sedbergh!

Terry

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Looking great, nearly 'sticker' time.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. Yep, tomorrow I start "stickering"! It's going to be a long task as Airfix seem to provide some comprehensive set of stencil data.

18 minutes ago, FAAMAN said:

Glad your "Broken Arrow" incident fizzed, inadvertent firing can be a problem :laugh: and your 86H is ok.

Coming along nicely with this build :clap2:

Thanks. Yes, a close shave! 

Terry

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Cracking Blog Terry - I've just read it through and cracking end(ish) resultB)

I hadn't realised what a beautiful looking aircraft this is

Rob

Thanks Rob. Yes there is something appealing about the Sabres lines. This is my third build, and I have six more in the stash (1/72), plus a 1/48 D, a 1/48 FJ3 and a 1/48 FJ4, so plenty to do still!

Terry

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Yes there is something appealing about the Sabres lines. 

Isn't there?!?

It looks right.

Have you ever compared with a 747? Similarities are striking in many respects.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

pfft, you can't call six Sabres a stash:rofl:

Stuart

Ah yes, I seem to recall you have a whole cupboard full of them floor to ceiling. That should keep you busy in your old age!

So here is where we are today:

Wheel Wells now green and OK

20181106_153227

Under nose lights nice and tidy. Just need some clear in them for glass

20181106_153442

Resting in the resting place last night

20181106_00284520181106_002832

Anti glare panel done, and rear cockpit detail added. This last bit was scratch built and represents the runners on which the canopy and mechanism slides

20181106_15305920181106_153151

Couple of close ups of the cockpit. You have to get really close to see the detail. The cockpit took a lot of effort to scratch build. Another time I will probably use after market resin stuff, but it was fun.

20181106_15311620181106_153132

Note to self on that last picture - need to ensure the rear framing of the front windshield gets painted!

This next item is a scratch built "canopy liner" which goes inside the rear of the canopy and forms the support on which it can slide. The two following pictures show how it goes I hope?

20181106_15324420181106_15334820181106_153415

Well, in Stuart's words, I really do need to get "stickering" now!

One last shot of the F-86H's rogue nuclear store, now fully repaired, and made safe

20181106_153009

Maybe next time you see her she will be done .................

Terry

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Ah yes, I seem to recall you have a whole cupboard full of them floor to ceiling. That should keep you busy in your old age!

My stash is exactly for that and hopefully retirement will happen in just under 3 years. :thumbsup:

Everything is looking good except that beacon in the rear canopy might need a little colour (if you haven't already glued the lot together :whistle:)

Stickers, stickers are almost endgame unless you get into that weathering melarky.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Everything is looking good except that beacon in the rear canopy might need a little colour (if you haven't already glued the lot together :whistle:)

Thanks for that Stuart, you saved the day there.

I had actually glued and forgotten to colour the beacon, so a timely reminder! So I  carefully took it apart from the canopy, added a blob of white, then when dry, a blob of Tamiya clear orange. Job done. That would have really annoyed me if I'd completed without doing that.

20181106_202856

So a busy day tomorrow with decals.

Terry

• Like 3

Looks stunning Terry looking forward to seeing it with its markings in place.

Can't make Telford this year so hope to see this and the Sedbergh at Poole next April?

Roger

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Loving that NM finish and good save (well done Stuart)

Rob

Thanks Rob. Yes, am a bit pleased with that finish, and indeed excellent spot by Stuart!

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looks stunning Terry looking forward to seeing it with its markings in place.

Can't make Telford this year so hope to see this and the Sedbergh at Poole next April?

Roger

Thanks Roger. Yes they will definitely both be at the Poole show next April along with a lot of my other stuff, and whatever else I manage to finish before then!

Terry

• Like 1

Final chapter in this build now, also ready for Telford. The last few days have been hectic. Seen with it's much smaller companion on the workbench

20181107_105830

Lights all fixed now

20181108_095145

Decal work commences.

20181107_180057

Airfix give you 69 stencils to apply, which took a very long time. Here are some of them in progress.

20181108_17341820181108_17343420181108_173459

And finally tonight finished at last. RFI will come after the weekend.

20181109_00122820181109_001321

Thanks for looking

Terry

• Like 6