Airfix 1/72 F-86 Sabre - The repairs are almost done - It's a happy ending!

You also don't have a Matchbox F-86A in your stash Terry :angel: just thought I'd tell you :think:

Thanks for the answers gents, I'll get my scale drawings out from the "somewhere in the garage reference library", I think it's filed under "over there . . . somewhere . . " :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FAAMAN said:

You also don't have a Matchbox F-86A in your stash Terry :angel: just thought I'd tell you :think:

Ah yes, the Matchbox Sabre, maybe I should look out for one ........... also an Academy ? 😁

Terry

Terry, the only thing on the Matchbox kit resembling an F-86 is the box top artwork.  The plastic is so basic and sometimes fictional, that sometimes it’s better to carve your own.  Starting with an existing kit is a leap ahead.  I started with a HobbyCraft Sabre6 and made out alright.  A Pavla canopy and a modded Airfix kit(Kiwi Resin wing) might be a way to go too.

cheers, Tony

• Thanks 1

Jeeze Tony, the Matchbox '86A is one of my childhood faves, must've built 8 or 9 for mates and meself (I had 2). Is it really that bad??

Oops, off topic again, apologies Terry :winkgrin:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, FAAMAN said:

Jeeze Tony, the Matchbox '86A is one of my childhood faves, must've built 8 or 9 for mates and meself (I had 2). Is it really that bad??

Oops, off topic again, apologies Terry :winkgrin:

No worries! I love the variety. I thought the same after I had actually seen one of Tony's excellent examples completed from the Matchbox kit ......... well some parts of the Matchbox kit! 😁

• Haha 1

Today's update:

Re-positioned wing fences are in place and work done to relocate the wing tank pylons. Forgot to take a pic above the wing to show the fences, sorry!

This shows re-positioned (inboard) holes for the pylons to the corrected position.

20180516_204229

20180516_203620

I very carefully made sure that the pylons were left and right handed as per instructions but what I find most curious is the slight outward curve at the front of each. I checked my second Airfix kit of this and sure enough they are bent the same. It must be deliberate because the tanks themselves also have a slight inward bend in the part where the pylon is housed. See third pic below. This also means (and I have double checked) that Airfix instructions show the pylons the wrong way round as when you look at the tanks, the bend is away from the outboard support strut hole but the pylons bend towards the strut. Solution is simple, switch the pylons but the main question is does anyone have any views/information on the fact that the plylons are bent like this on their forward edge?

20180516_20362820180516_20363720180516_203834

Thanks

Terry

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Today's update:

Re-positioned wing fences are in place and work done to relocate the wing tank pylons. Forgot to take a pic above the wing to show the fences, sorry!

This shows re-positioned (inboard) holes for the pylons to the corrected position.

20180516_204229

20180516_203620

I very carefully made sure that the pylons were left and right handed as per instructions but what I find most curious is the slight outward curve at the front of each. I checked my second Airfix kit of this and sure enough they are bent the same. It must be deliberate because the tanks themselves also have a slight inward bend in the part where the pylon is housed. See third pic below. This also means (and I have double checked) that Airfix instructions show the pylons the wrong way round as when you look at the tanks, the bend is away from the outboard support strut hole but the pylons bend towards the strut. Solution is simple, switch the pylons but the main question is does anyone have any views/information on the fact that the plylons are bent like this on their forward edge?

20180516_20362820180516_20363720180516_203834

Thanks

Terry

That’s the main reason why I used some aftermarket resin tanks, or the Heller ones are useable too.

cheers, Tony

• Like 3

On 5/17/2018 at 4:47 AM, Tony Edmundson said:

That’s the main reason why I used some aftermarket resin tanks, or the Heller ones are useable too.

Yes, thanks Tony. Will have to consider what to do about that.

Still undecided on the colour scheme also.

Terry

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted any progress, as little has been made mostly due to a few DIY projects needing to be done, and also a minor distraction in the form of this little bird.

I was given an Eduard dual combo 1/144 MIG-21 SMT some time ago and decided to convert one of them to a UM using Retrowings conversion set. I'll post a separate WIP for this, but thought you should be aware I am easily distracted!

20180420_221056

Meanwhile back to the F-86............

Wing pylon holes have been relocated inboard as below.....

20180607_165114

And wing fences have also been moved to a more correct position. The old ones were actually removed completely and new slots cut with new plastic card fences added. All good now ...........

20180607_165131

My next job tonight was to have been some airbrushing which I like to batch up, so will do all internals in the cockpit and also wheel wells, but given the mistakes I made on the Avon Sabre, I wanted the collective opinion here of correct internal colours.

Airfix quote gull grey for the cockpit interior which I think is fine(?), but on the wheel wells they are claiming Interior green for the wells themselves, but silver or aluminium, for the inside of the doors.

My curious mind leads me to ask why the inside of the doors would be different to the inside of the wheel wells themselves.

Given that I will most likely do an RAF Camouflaged aircraft  or possibly an RCAF Camouflaged one (but not decided yet), does anyone have information or facts as to what the colours should be and indeed whether they differ between RAF and RCAF? I guess similar questions for the cockpit also?

I'm just keen to get everything closed up so want the interior painting done soonest.

Any views welcome.

Terry

• Like 6

One thing that seems to be overlooked about the Airfix wings are the ailerons. I am sure the chord of these on the kit are too wide!! I rescribed mine to make them a bit narrower. But I don't recall by how much and based them on drawings. However they need looking in to.

Re the camo, I think the RAF camouflaged theirs before the RCAF. Patterns were identical except for the level of the PRU blue at the nose end. For the RAF ones the demarcation from the green/grey / pru was level with the bottom edge of the gun bay hatch. On RCAF ones it was a bit lower. Rear end was much the same. I found this by studying lots of pics. There probably are/ were variations. Re the wheel bays possibly the US green colour and silver or all silver not sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Terry,

Very good corrections on this kit ! I really enjoy and learn !

I would do a 112th Sqdn one, camouflaged with sharkteeth !! How could it look better ??

Still I have the decals and the kit to do a 1/48 one... Someday...

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Not being an expert but I believe that if you're doing an RAF/ RCAF Mk 4  Sabre or an F86E(M), the cockpit should still be black. IIRC, the grey cockpits came in with the Canadair Mk5/ F-86F-30. Wheel wells were interior green and inner doors were NMF/ silver lacquer. Airbrakes were finished slightly different.

Stuart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Not being an expert but I believe that if you're doing an RAF/ RCAF Mk 4  Sabre or an F86E(M), the cockpit should still be black. IIRC, the grey cockpits came in with the Canadair Mk5/ F-86F-30. Wheel wells were interior green and inner doors were NMF/ silver lacquer. Airbrakes were finished slightly different.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I was half considering black.

2 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

Speedbrake insides were green and speedbrakes wells were green, as well.

Tony

Cheers Tony, I was hoping you would advise!

I love this forum!

Terry

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

One thing that seems to be overlooked about the Airfix wings are the ailerons. I am sure the chord of these on the kit are too wide!! I rescribed mine to make them a bit narrower. But I don't recall by how much and based them on drawings. However they need looking in to.

Re the camo, I think the RAF camouflaged theirs before the RCAF. Patterns were identical except for the level of the PRU blue at the nose end. For the RAF ones the demarcation from the green/grey / pru was level with the bottom edge of the gun bay hatch. On RCAF ones it was a bit lower. Rear end was much the same. I found this by studying lots of pics. There probably are/ were variations. Re the wheel bays possibly the US green colour and silver or all silver not sure.

Thanks Paul. I looked at some plans and reference photos, and I think you have a point ....... 🤔 I'll look at that next.

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Terry,

Very good corrections on this kit ! I really enjoy and learn !

I would do a 112th Sqdn one, camouflaged with sharkteeth !! How could it look better ??

Still I have the decals and the kit to do a 1/48 one... Someday...

Sincerely.

CC

You are too kind sir! I will of course consider your suggestion of RAF 112 Sqdn with sharkteeth!

Thanks folks

Terry

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Courageous said:

I thought that was the case Tony. Can you confirm the main door internal colour; NMF or a silver lacquer?

Stuart

Currently, miles from my references, but I believe NMF for gear doors.

Tony

• Thanks 2

I think I did my RAF Sabre cockpit black, and all wheel wells and door interiors silver. 

If you're still considering colour schemes, how about 92 Sqn? Lovely bright checks. But you'd need to paint the underside silver for a UK-based one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I think I did my RAF Sabre cockpit black, and all wheel wells and door interiors silver. 

If you're still considering colour schemes, how about 92 Sqn? Lovely bright checks. But you'd need to paint the underside silver for a UK-based one.

Yes it looks as if an early MK4 would be a black cockpit, but even then I would use dark grey as tio me its a better scale effect.

I'm open to any suggestions on finish at the moment, so 92 sqn will go on the shortlist with CC's 112 sqn!

I've been working on the ejector seat at the moment. After market resin's are usually good and my favoured choice but every now and then I like to try and do my own. 15 additional small parts added to the kit seat so far, probably one or two more to go then there are straps to add too 😂. I'll post some pictures of that later on.

• Like 1

I wish I had the skill and patience to add 15 small parts to a 1/72 ejector seat! 😂 

These 93 sqn markings are nice too if you want to do an RAF Germany based one. This one is preserved at Cosford museum.

IMG36411528490043.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

This one is preserved at Cosford museum.

Very nice. I've never been to Cosford but its definitely on my must do list. I'll probably do it this year when I go up to Telford, and make an even longer weekend of it.

Terry

• Like 1

Tonight I spent some time on the cockpit. Using some excellent reference material from Squadron Signal In Action and Walkarounds. I decided aftermarket resin can sit this one out, it was after all originally supposed to be a relaxing OOB build after the Avon Sabre. This is what I am aspiring to build ....

20180608_211931

I'd made a start on the seat some weeks back. You may recall this:

20180406_220226

So tonight I decided to add more detail to get closer to the real thing. Some side hols for the lap straps (I think?)

20180608_174701

20180608_174652

Then some slaters and thin card to try and add detail and depth. The big side panels will be trimmed a bit.

Good old Milliput for a seat cushion and holes for seat back bolts and other detail.

20180608_181924

Shaped sides now

20180608_21200020180608_212014

20180608_21202720180608_21203620180608_212322

I need to let this dry off overnight before I start fiddling with straps and harnesses.

The next area was behind the cockpit seat. The Airfix detail is a bit vague and random. This is what it should look like, albeit a drawing only:

20180608_212334

And this is what you get:

20180608_212356

I may use this to build detail on and alter a bit. I'll try that first and see where it gets me, Made a brief start. The slaters will need trimming and more detail added. Just trying to get a better looking effect, rather than absolute authentic detail really.

20180608_213955

Lost more to do on that, and also I am still undecided on whether cockpit is open or closed down. If the seat and other detail come out OK, I'll go for open, but that will mean more detail underneath that sliding canopy mechanism as well.

This thread seems to be getting popular with suggestions of colour schemes coming in, and @Scott Hemsley has even suggested my next Airfix Sabre should be a conversion to a 6-3 slatted wing Mk6 !

Bring on the requests, ideas and comments!

Thanks

Terry 

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

I wish I had the skill and patience to add 15 small parts to a 1/72 ejector seat! 😂 

These 93 sqn markings are nice too if you want to do an RAF Germany based one. This one is preserved at Cosford museum.

IMG36411528490043.jpg

Just one problem when on 93 sqn this aircraft sported leading edge slats not the hard 6-3 wing which was fitted after it left RAF service.

XB812

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Terry, as a matter of interest, what AM seat are you using?

45 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

...and now hangs from the roof, at least it was Nov 2017.

Stuart

• Like 2