Airfix 1/72 F-86 Sabre - The repairs are almost done - It's a happy ending!

Now that's a nice looking Sabre, well done well worth all your work 😎😎

Just a question, the Mk.7 "special" store, where did it come from? I've a 1/72 A4D-1 Skyhawk just dying to carry one, painted blue of course as I wouldn't want an "accident" 😉

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FAAMAN said:

Now that's a nice looking Sabre, well done well worth all your work 😎😎

Just a question, the Mk.7 "special" store, where did it come from? I've a 1/72 A4D-1 Skyhawk just dying to carry one, painted blue of course as I wouldn't want an "accident" 😉

Thanks. The MK.7 on the H is a Freightdog models resin item, but you can also get an injection moulded version from A-Model, complete with handling trolly. It would look massive on an A4D-1!

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Terry 👍

The Mk.7 "special" store is the reason why an A4D-1 (or any other A-4) looks the way it does, originally designed as a carrier borne one way nuke bomber 😎

35676394421_8e33353836_b.jpgA-4B 305AC Bu.No.144900 VA-34 USS Saratoga Mk.7 sml. by Neil, on Flickr

35419848550_a74b9c64b1_z.jpgA4D-1 10XE Mk.7 nuc by Neil, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 09/11/2018 at 10:11, FAAMAN said:

, originally designed as a carrier borne one way nuke bomber 😎

Good grief.... 

The times we lived through! 

Brilliant result on the Sabre, Terry.

She looks stunning.

A fine example!

I'll look forward to the Vikings show.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2018 at 10:16 AM, Hamden said:

Great result Terry well worth ALL your efforts (together with the T21)!

Roger

Thanks Roger. Yes, they both took a lot more effort than I expected!

On 11/10/2018 at 11:43 PM, rob Lyttle said:

Brilliant result on the Sabre, Terry.

She looks stunning.

A fine example!

I'll look forward to the Vikings show.

Thanks Rob. See you at the Vikings show early next year! 

On 11/11/2018 at 1:40 PM, TheBaron said:

Cracking piece of metal magic Terry - I've no doubt it looks even more powerful in the flesh. 

Bravo!

Thanks Tony. I'm finally getting to grips with Alclad. Have had a re-stock at Telford! Only arrived back this evening so will get some proper RFI pictures done soon.

Terry

• Like 1

A major setback tonight folks, probably as a result of using Alclad Klear Kote (first time for me) and not using my usual Johnson's Klear, to seal the finish. I was applying a very light wash of paines grey oil paint. I have done this before successfully on the F-86H but only difference was I used Klear acrylic seal before the enamel wash. The wing clean off went OK, but the fuselage seemed to react badly with the thinners ............. result is some of the Alclad has been wiped away. The fuselage is looking pretty ruined. Very p****d off about this as you might imagine. Have stopped all work to reflect on whether things are recoverable. 😞

Better news on the Sedbergh, as the temporary windshields came off fine and two new ones of correct size and shape are ready ............ tomorrow for that I think.

Such can be the ups and downs of our hobby. The end of week visit to the local pub may happen a day early this week!

Terry

• Sad 5

On 11/15/2018 at 11:57 PM, rob Lyttle said:

Darn, Terry. Right on the finish line.

Sorry to hear that!

Have a look in the cold light of a new day.

I sure hope you can pull her back

Thanks Rob. I stayed calm and let time pass ............... it worked, I'm calmer, but the Sabre is less than ideal at current, but my longer term plan is to restore the damage

On 11/16/2018 at 12:04 AM, perdu said:

I'm sure you will sort it Terry, us modellers always do after all

:)

Not to be trite that is a sod mate, finger's crossed

It's a beautiful model

Thanks Bill, it was a beautiful model perhaps, and my aim is to make it so again

On 11/16/2018 at 7:48 AM, Courageous said:

Bad news Terry but I'm sure you'll pull it back to your usual quality. Chin up...pint down. :drink:

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. The pint(s) went down very easily last Thursday evening I can assure you!

Now, to quote those famous words often spoken before a horrific event is about to be disclosed, "Those of a squeamish nature should look away now" ........................ the damage is revealed:

20181116_12075220181116_12070020181116_120802

As you can see the damage is considerable, but only on this side of the front, and also on the port wing upper area, just that one panel:

20181116_120809

All is good on the other side of the fuselage:

20181116_120920

So, there is a plan forming......................

The U/C and port remaining drop tank will all be carefully removed.

The decals on the damaged areas will also be removed.

The areas adjacent to the damaged areas will get an extra dusting of acrylic gloss. This will be necessary in order to prevent any decal pull off when masking for the areas to be repaired.

The damaged panels will be masked off and Alclad re-applied. Masking will be done using post-it notes - a tip passed on by @Martian Hale some while ago when doing some minor repairs on the Avon Sabre.

Johnson's Klear applied over damaged areas

Decals that had to be removed replaced from another set.

Re-fix everything and breath again!

Just writing all that down felt like further calming therapy.

I don't plan to rush this. There will be an RFI on the Sedbergh soon, and work has already re-commenced on the Vosper MTB. It is likely that a new aircraft build will also be started anytime soon.

These things are sent to try us, but I don't give up easily!

Thanks for your support so far.

Terry

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Winning mate already

Just think, seriously, about how often the real aeroplane ;looks like that when parked and forgotten

You just found a perfect way to capture that effect and it really will end up looking fabulous again soon

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a plan to me, Terry 🏆

A remarkable bit of heavy weathering for sure.... But I know it's NOT the finish you were looking for !!

When you said "remove the decals from the...." I thought I was going to read something I've been in need of.

Do you know if there is a way to release a set transfer and reposition or reapply it in the right position??

Any way, good luck with the makeover--- We're all rooting for you!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Just think, seriously, about how often the real aeroplane ;looks like that when parked and forgotten

Thanks Bill. You are right, I think I have accidentally found a way of replicating that look!

I'll park that idea for a project intended that way from the start. I think it would work very well ..............🤔

11 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Do you know if there is a way to release a set transfer and reposition or reapply it in the right position??

Thanks Rob. I've removed decals before using the Micro Sol/Set products, but can't remember which one worked! Will have to experiment. One thing I have noticed though about Micro Sol (the red one) which is it can leave a faint white "bleaching" effect on certain colours. It happened a little on this one, on the red conspicuity markings on the wings, and also on a 1/72 Spitfire I built a couple of years ago. Care needed with that I think.

The makeover will take a while as I've de-prioritised it in order to get the Sedbergh's windshields replaced, along with some serious progress on the Vosper.

Terry

• Like 1

As you said, you must have different layers between acrilics and enamels , otherwise thinners can effect the colour previously sprayed.

You're brave to carry put that working plan as it involves some difficult passages!

I'll have my fingers crossed!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2018 at 3:58 PM, perdu said:

I had precisely the same reaction! I looked at the first photo and thought "I should just go ahead and take up crocheting...there's no way I could reproduce such brilliant weathering in a hundred years!" (Er...that was before I saw the thumbprint, in the next photo....)

But seriously...you'll bounce back without any issues, after a deep breath and a cup of your libation of choice! Your work is brilliant.:footy:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, massimo said:

As you said, you must have different layers between acrilics and enamels , otherwise thinners can effect the colour previously sprayed.

You're brave to carry put that working plan as it involves some difficult passages!

I'll have my fingers crossed!!!!

Thanks Massimo. I don't plan to rush anything. I think there must have been some Alclad panels that had not been covered with some sort of Klear Kote, as I have started the clean up very carefully, and some panels clean off easily, whereas others do not. I decided to only address the damaged areas, so we'll see how it goes. I'm only working for small amounts of time each day, just to be sure, and that of course leaves other time for other builds.

2 hours ago, thorfinn said:

I had precisely the same reaction! I looked at the first photo and thought "I should just go ahead and take up crocheting...there's no way I could reproduce such brilliant weathering in a hundred years!" (Er...that was before I saw the thumbprint, in the next photo....)

But seriously...you'll bounce back without any issues, after a deep breath and a cup of your libation of choice! Your work is brilliant.:footy:

LOL. Thank you for the compliment. I must admit some of the panels do look very convincingly weathered, but that thumbprint is a clue! 

Terry

• Like 2

5 hours ago, massimo said:

Hi Massimo,

Even if you do place different layers of enamel and acrylics sometimes things like what happened to Terry could emerge, even after a considerable period of time.

I have recently decided to finish a spitfire that I had started a very long time ago, on which I had applied different layers of acrylics and enamel (primer-colour-gloss varnish). When I opened the box and turned to see the lower surfaces the varnish had "cracked", fortunately leaving the decals intact. Now, I'm forced to removed all the layers and respray it, if of course I can still safely remove and reuse the kit's decals.

Cheers

Shalako

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'm thinking, the more layers the more opportunities for a bad reaction. And we're playing around with some fancy carriers and solvents. 

@Shalako, if ever there was a good reason to get a new sheet of some after market decals--- this is IT...!

That's true Rob!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

Glad to hear that you've not given up on this girl Terry. Looking forward to seeing her fixed..

Stuart

Definitely do not intend giving up on this one Stuart. Just need some calmer "normal" modelling time before I tackle partly stripping her off ................ and I'm not talking about my wife 😜

3 hours ago, Shalako said:

That's true Rob!

Thats very true @rob Lyttle !

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ghastly luck my friend but your fortitude in adversity is admirable Terry. :nodding::clap:

On 11/21/2018 at 1:25 PM, Terry1954 said:

Just need some calmer "normal" modelling time before I tackle partly stripping her off ................ and I'm not talking about my wife 😜

Probably wise, there's allus some blighter who'd pitch in with 

Dorset_Knob_biscuits.jpg

jokes.

Thankfully no-one round here would stoop that low.

• Haha 2