+++++ Phantom FG1 +++++ Finished

Canopy on, masked and painted. There was a seam which I filled with Krystal Kleer. I've also used Krystal Kleer to glaze the small triangular middle windows as Matchbox never provided anything. 

resized_b419930d-d6eb-4a67-893e-db2610ef

Once I get a bit of time there is a marathon transfer fixing session to come, courtesy of the lovely Airfix stencils kindle provided by Brian. Though that's a few days away. It's not perfect but it looks like a Phantom. 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

This has been sitting in front of me as I have worked away on other things. I've decided as I was laying down layers of white on the Scimitar, that I could probably work away on the Phantom between coats. I've finished painting the centre line tank, missiles and pylons. The wing tanks are part of the way along. As mentioned before Brianthemodeller kindly gave me the stencils from the Airfix kit and I have been plucking up the courage to start using them. It's quite intimidating as there are about a zillion of them. So I grit my teeth and started. So far I've done the underside of the fuselage and some round the tail end but it is slow work. I've done some upperworks bur on the wings the small black stencils are hard to see against the EDSG finish so I may omit a number of the small ones. Obviously they do show up on the white undersides. And do break up the monotony of the finish. 

resized_1f6f81af-cb6d-4423-b22e-c17a6745

• Like 5

8 hours ago, 825 said:

As mentioned before Brianthemodeller kindly gave me the stencils from the Airfix kit and I have been plucking up the courage to start using them. It's quite intimidating as there are about a zillion of them.

Thats why I gave them to you and didn’t put them on mine!! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A real trip down memory lane and, as others have said, a strange fascination with a marginally accurate kit but, at the time I loved them !. Back in 1977/78, I had a veritable production line of Matchbox F-4 underway, motivated by regular sightings of the real thing during APCs at RAF Luqa, Malta. I had discovered Modeldecals some 4 years earlier too so a regular mail order supply of decals from the UK combined with a weekly visit to Britannia Models in Valletta kept me going and I managed to complete ten examples (including one complete rebuild) before another family move brought an end to the line. I think the radome on your kit has been changed however as the original was quite a bit blunter; one of the more noticeable inaccuracies.

Well Done, Sir !           

Thanks for the kind comments. I've added more stencils   I've finished (or more appropriately got fed up) with the undersides and have popped some on the upper wing surface but black on ESDG hardly shows so I may be a tad restrained. I'm now working along the fuselage. I've spent about 4 hours already, and still have the stores to put transfers on before mounting them. They are sitting painted waiting for a free hour. It may be time consuming but it gets a bit addictive after a while.

resized_ee8b4f0f-0123-4e53-bf94-ac7adb80

• Like 2

Tiring of adding stencils I've cleaned up the stores and repainted some of them. I also unearthed a seam on the wing drop tanks which have been filled. Here's we are at the end of today. Stencils and stores. Has a bit of a ring to it. 

resized_ed87ca2c-23a2-4247-af48-a1c33248

• Like 4

Transfers onto the missiles. Will have another bash at finishing them tomorrow. 

resized_232abaf9-12d4-4312-afd5-f87e7214

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've got to the point that I'm completely 'stencilled' out. Despite having these all left. 

resized_593c4ef0-b0a9-4edb-9406-2ad16169

Mind you can anyone see the black stencils n the upperworks?

resized_26da9115-8ecf-43c4-bae0-03b761d0

They do make the missiles look good though. But these are finished now

resized_b96772bc-2d0a-4a30-bb08-fdfb3ab0

Off to watch some rugby so will try and complete tomorrow. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, 825 said:

I've got to the point that I'm completely 'stencilled' out. Despite having these all left.

I've looked at the stencils for these Phantoms and you've done better than I will...far too many for my liking.

Stuart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

I've looked at the stencils for these Phantoms and you've done better than I will...far too many for my liking.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I think it's time to stop the transfers and start putting on the Sidewinders. 

• Like 3

Nice work.

So great to see Matchbox builds, brings back fond memories as a child. I think I lost the rear canopy of my FG1 during construction, but a bit of scotch tape turned out to be my solution. 🙂

• Like 1

No Sidewinders yet, as I got diverted by some further stencils going on. Though the AMRAAMs are on and look good. Well IMHO

resized_6da86c47-9af5-49f1-a455-353dd691

• Like 3

Now fully laden. 

resized_2d6d0499-7a08-4fd8-809d-671564ae

Should be finished now. Quick check and then photos for RFI. 

• Like 4

As I was making a Seafire for the Pacific at War GB and finished at the same time, I thought a comparison would be interesting. 

resized_3d295bf5-132d-4d7b-b4a7-c3975639

Its amazing to think that there was only 25 years between these two iconic fleet defence fighters. 

• Like 4