WW1 German UB 1 type U-boat 1/144 FINISHED

Here we have Mikromir's lovely WW1 u-boat UB 1, there are lots of detail on this kit and with a little extra gumption a very nice example can be produced.

There are markings provided for a number of boats, including eyes, nostrils and mouth depending on which one is built, also a very nice camo scheme.

Ive plumped for UB 10, which has a deck gun and ive found some reference photos for, as the rigging arrangement is not very clear.

The example on the box seems to be a later UB as 20 were built in total, if you wish to build this you will need to scratch guard rail around the conning tower and a radio T shaped mast.

So heres the box art.

JgmdguW.jpg

So starting with the hull halves i have opened up all the flood holes and the torpedo tube openings.

Its worth noting that internal detail of the tube doors is included but only closed doors, so i will have to do some trimming as these seem to be of a camshell arrangement.

ytN7pDm.jpg

All the best Chris

Edited by whitestar12chris
finnished
  • Like 7

So moving on, the hull halves go together very well, no filler required just a light sanding on the join. The torpedo tube ends are PE on a bulkhead.

fgOaVtu.jpg

A simple but effective stand is included, next the diving planes and the deck went on, again a very nice fit, filler free so far.

mbMAeZA.jpg

Next to do is the conning tower with its PE rails, ladder, portholes and so on.

All the best Chris

• Like 7

A build update, conning tower built with PE porthole surrounds and hatch handle. Again no fit issues. Macro mode is not what it should be LOL

WuCzETj.jpg

Deck gun and conning tower attached with 1 ariel mast and periscope added

1AKE3PI.jpg

Next couple of shots show the PE tie rods, rudder & dive plane control rods added.

js0XnuH.jpg

y22JGHv.jpg

The sub is just under 200mm (8") long. Next are the PE handrails around the tower and the cut back torpedo doors.

All the best Chris

• Like 6

Coming along Chris.

Looks like you possibly have the forward dive planes on the wrong way round in one of the pictures.

I think the swept edge should face forward in a delta fashion per box art.

Andy.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks Andy well spotted, it would seem i misread this on the plans, photo of UB10  confirms this.

Will detach carefully and refit the right way round.

All the best Chris

• Like 1

Following this one with interest as I am hoping to build this kit for Telford this year.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Small update, PE handrails and ladder fitted with superglue and toothpick, still a PE novice but getting there, also forward dive planes refitted the right way round.

As for kit parts all thats left are the torpedo doors and an ariel mast.

To scratch out of 0.5mm & 0.2mm brass rod, handrail post's, handrail and ariels.

J0xfJpf.jpg

A2YnFep.jpg

Xs7xatu.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 3

So assembly now complete, painting next.

Torpedo doors open, 1 cut down and one scratch built as the second part went ping into the ethos towards the back of the desk as i was cutting it down.

k90Kp1S.jpg

Rigging done, 0.5mm rod for the handrail posts, 0.2mm rod for handrail and ariel's.

It is worth noting that the ariel arrangement is not symmetrical, one support post sits further forward than the other. This is born out by photo i have of UB10.

3zCRgbr.jpgu3ujOtI.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 3

So now onto the painting, deck and top of front dive plans painted matt black. I noticed in the photo i have there is a dark line below the flood holes, so ive put some black here to paint over to get the effect.

58hdJ8j.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 3