What WW1 airplane kits/bits followed you home today?

Ted

I gave in and bought an Eduard 1/48 Sopwith Camel comic version then ordered a load of Brassin goodies from the big H. I'm blaming all this poxey weather.

• Like 4

Not a bad kit, although the more recent one is, naturally, much better. I've built it in the Flashback guise, where a lot of the PE was replaced by resin. One thing to watch for if you're not used to them, these early Eduard kits had Propagteam decals. Some people really like them, because they're thin. Others (me included), not so much. At the time of release they were prone to folding over astonishingly easily, combined with a definite tendency to grab immediately. Sometimes they'd break up. These days, all those I've seen have some deterioration of the binding coat and always breakup. Cured easily enough with liquid decal film, but you need to know in advance. Any lozenge decals included need putting out of their misery and replacing (colour choices and pattern are well wide of the mark).

Paul.

The Comic has arrived and as I remembered Eduard's first offering all I can say is their latest kit looks absolutely wonderful and. So now I'll have to buy the 2F1 version, my only concern  is getting some of the finer parts of the sprue.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

A Joystick AEG C.IV. It’s been a while since I built a vacform, but I think I remember what to do…

spacer.png

The reference to go with it.

spacer.png

Some K.u.K. goodness.

spacer.png

And some stickers to go on a Nieuport or a Hanriot.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I was just mowing the lawn... well, most of it... and remembered that I'd recently received a 1/48 Eduard Dr.I, so I thought I ought to come clean.  The concept (subject to change) is to do "my" paint job.  It probably won't feature red, because, you know...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, europapete said:

Still get a Roden kit though, for all the struts and wheels etc. PART photoetch from Jadar Hobby also make a really good PE set

Actually, the struts are the least useful parts due to the very brittle plastic the kit has. Mind you, I still thought it was a lovely kit, and yes I have done the Rareplane kit too. If building that one I recommend selling a lung and getting the Aeroclub dedicated pack for it, if you can find it (engines, wheels, props, guns, all the bits hard to  pull off with vac plastic). Then you can still build the Roden kit, just have to make hundreds of tiny struts for both of them. And believe me, at the end of the whole exercise you'll be very good at making struts.

The Part set is one of their more useful ones, although actually plural (separate sets for the GIII, IV and V, mostly due to different instrument panel and fuel cock arrangements, IIRC).

Paul.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, europapete said:

Good points there Paul, but I had no problems with the Roden struts when I built one. 

I wonder now constistent their plastic was? Quite a few guys from the GWSIG have built this kit, and most reported brittle plastic as far as I remember, and mine certainly was (mine was the G.III boxing but essentially the same kit). But the trouble with generalising from that is that anyone who had no trouble would be unlikely to bring the subject up at all, skewing the perception.............  I have two GVas and a IV in a box somewhere. If I remember when I've finished what I'm doing now I'll go and play snip-snips with them.

Paul.

18 minutes ago, europapete said:

yes, definately use snips/cutters. On delicate parts I always make sure the piece  to be cut out is well supported and use the correct tools, regardless of kit scale or manufacturer. Just basic work proceedure. 

..............and I've now tested them on both strut and tubular fine bits in a G.IV and a GVa/b kit. The parts bent alarmingly but didn't snap. Both boxes had a mix of grey and beige sprues in them, and I think the GIII I had the trouble with was entirely beige. The grey bits contain all the finer parts, so maybe these have a better plastifier in them. I'm cutting them the same as always, so that's the likeliest explanation I can think of.

I'd forgotten how much there is in the way of spares with one of these kits, so if you want to build both then you have more spare parts to help with the Rareplane kit than you get in the Aeroclub pack.  I did know this once, because I found the box I put the leftovers from my G.III in, and it has a cut out and sanded Rareplane G.IV I'd obviously meant to use them up with............ Back when I had a brain still.

Paul.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I got a 1/48 K&B issue of an Aurora Fokker E.III

The Eindecker has always been one of my favorite WWI planes! I have a Top Flite Elder 40 RC plane that looks a bit like the Eindecker. I started it but, well.... gonna have to finish that one 'a these days.

• 1 month later...

I finally caved in after the other half vigorously encouraged me to go ahead. 

spacer.png

Now to get around to some proper research...

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

The last model to arrive via post was a Battle Axe short run Albatros DIII.

why? I hear you ask.. 

because I’m a masochist, I answer. 😩

and from my local shop this morning I came home with one piffling little jarlet of Tamiya Deck Tan.

13 minutes ago, McNab said:

The last model to arrive via post was a Battle Axe short run Albatros DIII.

why? I hear you ask.. 

because I’m a masochist, I answer. 😩

and from my local shop this morning I came home with one piffling little jarlet of Tamiya Deck Tan.

It's do-able, though. I'd just built one when another arrived in the post courtesy of Windsock for having a letter or photo published (I forget which) when it was all shiny and new. Won't be doing another though...............

Paul.