What WW1 airplane kits/bits followed you home today?

Ted

Visited the Temora Aviation Museum yesterday. On the shop's shelves was an Eduard 1:48 Bentley Camel, looking all sad and lonely. It would have been cruel to leave it there suffering, wouldn't it, so I put it under my arm and rescued it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got my hands on a 1/72 Hanriot HD.1 kit!  

The 1/72 HR kits of the Hanriot HD.1  have been OOP for 10 years now, and would typically go for $40 - $50 or more on auction sites.   ( I got outbid on a few Pegasus kits, too!).    I stumbled across one up for auction on ebay, ending mid-afternoon on Christmas eve.   I took a shot and landed it for $16! 

Yes, it is the Swiss version, but I’ve got plenty of decals in the stash.   I’ll have to decide whether to use Italian or Belgian decals on it—  I’m sorta leaning towards one of the blue Belgian planes, because they’ll stand out on the “Allied Shelf”.

It came today, along with two other kits I also ordered.  Those KP kits look pretty nice in the box - looks like fun builds!  

I’m chuffed— Going to be a “Happy (WW1 in 1/72) New Year!”

spacer.png

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 30/10/2022 at 17:03, Allan31 said:

And this is the pile of "just for fun" kits...

thumbnail_(80)_rG4UgtjQmBw62D27BGpczb.jp

Hey Allan, most of these are old Aurora or Merit repops (plus the excellent Lindberg Jenny and poor 1/43 Heller SPAD) and will fall together easily, if not terribly accurately, but...

The Glencoe Albatri are the company's own efforts and are undoubtedly the worst 1/48 WWI kits ever made. Nothing fits- the nose is a joke and the wings are just flat panels underneath. When originally announced they were reviewed in Windsock and Ray thought augurs were good. But when the pressings arrived they were terrible. Such a let-down.

The decal sheets are however superb. Just bin the kits and use the decals on an Eduard or Roden kit.

Trust me, I tried to build one - wish I'd thrown it in the bin earlier.

S

• Haha 1

A Print Scale Rumpler C.IV, an AZmodel Hansa Brandenburg B.I and a HR Model Phönix C.I, all in 1/72. I prefer the aircraft of the Central Powers, and I prefer two-seaters. I've built a number of railway models from 3D prints, but the Rumpler is my first aircraft model in this medium. Should be interesting.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by Mark Newton
  • Like 2

On 10/03/2023 at 11:50, Macsporran said:

Hey Allan, most of these are old Aurora or Merit repops (plus the excellent Lindberg Jenny and poor 1/43 Heller SPAD) and will fall together easily, if not terribly accurately, but...

The Glencoe Albatri are the company's own efforts and are undoubtedly the worst 1/48 WWI kits ever made. Nothing fits- the nose is a joke and the wings are just flat panels underneath. When originally announced they were reviewed in Windsock and Ray thought augurs were good. But when the pressings arrived they were terrible. Such a let-down.

The decal sheets are however superb. Just bin the kits and use the decals on an Eduard or Roden kit.

Trust me, I tried to build one - wish I'd thrown it in the bin earlier.

S

I'd dispute the bit about the Glencoe kits being the worst. That honour surely falls to the later Merlin kits, particularly their 1/48th efforts. I have the Nieuprt XII, Albatros D.II and Salmson 2A2, and they are suboptimal in the extreme. A warning about the Glenco decals though, I've used the Glencoe decals for the Spad XIII and Nieuport 28, and they'd both suffered catastrophic film failure, i.e. they'd cracked up (and this was 20 years ago). Saved, just about, by 3 heavy brush applications of Microscale liquid decal film, but even then they were cantankerous wee buggers and I spent more time patching them up than on the paintwork.

Paul.

• 1 month later...

Well, it isn't often that I get to take part in THIS thread!  Last weekend was one of the two shows our club attend 'en masse', and despite my supposed apathy about adding to the stash, there was one table selling stuff for so cheap that I (had I in fact wanted to) had trouble resisting. 

I popped the lid on an Eduard 1/48 DH.2, and it was so nice looking that it ended up coming home with me.  Now I'm doing some research, because I don't know nuthin' about it, and trying to figure out how I'd even begin to get it simultaneously aligned and rigged.  I figure if you're worried about rigging a model, why not start with a DH.2- if you manage that (and plenty of scope for practice!) nothing else will intimidate you after...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, europapete said:

If you google "DH2 Rigging Diagram" it comes up with an old page from Bob's Buckles with a downloadable step by step guide

Yeah, I've already got that tucked away (probably for the second time?)- but thanks for mentioning it, anyway!

Oh dear, another one added to the stash. The Esoteric Parnall Panther vac, courtesy of Dave Cooper on the vac and resin FB page.

Not sure when it will get to the top of the stash, but definitely an interesting and relatively obscure aircraft that was the first aircraft designed specifically for carrier ops so historically important.

Ian

• Like 4

On 22/04/2023 at 13:41, europapete said:

If you google "DH2 Rigging Diagram" it comes up with an old page from Bob's Buckles with a downloadable step by step guide

Thanks a lot, it will be very useful for my Roden kit. :yes:

Ciao.

Davide

• Like 1

Eduard is having a half price sale and it rude not to take advantage of it.

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/fokker-fokker!-1-72.html

Two Fokker DVIIs are winging their way to me now. I've wanted to make a DVII for some time. Now I'll have two. Looking at the decal options. They may not be the last.

Edited by noelh

• 1 month later...

I just 'won' on ebay two Revell 1/28 kits.

One is the 'holy grail' of the 1/28 models; the Fokker D.VII. 

The other is the more ubiquitous Fokker. Dr.1, with markings for the Werner Voss F.1 103/17 (obviously the Dr.1 needs converting to the F.1, see below for a photo of a 1/72 I built)

I got the pair for £34. Usually the D.VII sells for over £60 on its own, sometimes for as much as £110!

The D.VII is part built, but it looks not badly done and I can finish it off.

I now have 2 of the Spad, 1 Camel, 2 Dr.1* and 1 D.VII

I think I should build them

(*my first Dr.1 has a couple of parts missing, but I'm now able to make them)

Fokker%20F.1,%20102-17,%20Werner%20Voss,

• Like 4