What WW1 airplane kits/bits followed you home today?

Ted

Awesome collection Martin.

I recently got a Roden version of his D.VII. But I plan to build it as the captured airplane that won the Toronto - New York air race in 1919.

20200506_181346

Today a package from Latvia arrived! The kit looks really nice.

20200506_181336

20200506_181340

• Like 2

I have yet to try a CSM and will give one a try now that I dare not make any of my Wingnut Wings!  I went on eBay to check what was happening with the prices and I really wish I hadn’t.  Two of my kits were sold for £255 and £270. Over twice the price I bought mine for.  
Of course I will make mine but I do have multiples and their place in the stash may be vulnerable now and may fund a CSM or two.  Strange times indeed.  
Andrew. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bear Paw said:

£270.

Ridiculous prices.

CSM Nieports look great and I hope they finish their 1/32 Hansa Brandenburg. I will definitely pick one up.

1 hour ago, Bear Paw said:

........  I went on eBay to check what was happening with the prices and I really wish I hadn’t.  Two of my kits were sold for £255 and £270. Over twice the price I bought mine for.  

I understand the desire to acquire given the news that WNW are closing operations.  However will those exquisite moulds really just lie in a shed rusting away or will they be acquired by some other company in the future?  My hunch says they will re-surface somewhere sometime and anyone paying way over the odds now might find that it was not a wise investment.  Just my gut feeling.  

• Like 2

I feel the same this is a gut reaction to the news of the demise of Wingnuts. Those moulds are the acme of the art of model making at the moment and have been fully researched to the best of everyone’s knowledge and so need to be treated with respect and reused.  It will be hard to see when we will see the likes again when money talent and passion come together to produce kits of WWI types  like this ?    Saying that these prices are getting silly.  
Here is a screen shot from the latest sale of this kit  on eBay. I bought this for £220 when new. 

Wingnut

Edited by Bear Paw
Up date
  • Sad 1

At my current build rate my stash of WnW will see me into my grave and the remnant will make for a nice heirloom for my daughter.

As long as I have the intention and capability of building them they won't be sold off.

I'm not convinced that WnW will reappear so even the current silly prices don't make me inclined to sell them off.

That combo kit went for around 220 GBP on Hannants a few weeks ago IIRC.

Eduard is having a sale, so I’m picking up some D.VII - hannants sold out already :)

Edited by Torbjorn

Yesterday I sold the last WnW kit that I had still in stock. Very sad to see them go and don't really expect to see them reappear in the form we know any time soon. Worse still to think that many were probably bought with the sole intention of flogging them off again to make a fast Buck. I know that sounds ironic coming from someone who sold them off to make a fast Buck for a living but I had invested a lot of time, effort, worry and my own money into being able to stock them in the first place so felt truly emotionally involved with every one of them and the customers I came to know through selling them. The feeling is almost like how it feels when leaving a Job you've enjoyed and walking out the doors for the last time!

Duncan B

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can understand that Duncan, and I bought a few. I am glad I bought the ones I liked when they were available.  I bought them direct from New Zealand when they did free postage but the Post office and the tax man had their share of that.
I have 40 to go at so that should be enough to keep me happy.  
I have just seen 32004 Bristol Fighter F2b selling for over £243 on eBay - 23 bids and 2 hours to go. So......... 

Yes you are right the kits will be turned into a commodity bought and sold and less and less being made?  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Yesterday I sold the last WnW kit that I had still in stock. Very sad to see them go and don't really expect to see them reappear in the form we know any time soon. Worse still to think that many were probably bought with the sole intention of flogging them off again to make a fast Buck. I know that sounds ironic coming from someone who sold them off to make a fast Buck for a living but I had invested a lot of time, effort, worry and my own money into being able to stock them in the first place so felt truly emotionally involved with every one of them and the customers I came to know through selling them. The feeling is almost like how it feels when leaving a Job and walking out the doors for the last time!

Duncan B

That was me my friend 🙂. I wanted to get a Junkers D1 off of you, without paying much attention, I didnt realise how quick they would go. That Gotha might be an acquired taste but I think it looks great, am so glad a bought it.

Thanks for the great service you provide. I genuinely get excited when one of your parcels arrives with a wingnut wings kit inside. I hope somehow, someway they reemerge one day. 

All the best, Martin 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Martin Ford said:

That was me my friend 🙂. I wanted to get a Junkers D1 off of you, without paying much attention, I didnt realise how quick they would go. That Gotha might be an acquired taste but I think it looks great, am so glad a bought it.

Thanks for the great service you provide. I genuinely get excited when one of your parcels arrives with a wingnut wings kit inside. I hope somehow, someway they reemerge one day. 

All the best, Martin 

It was indeed and I am pleased you did, nice for the last one to go to one of my regular Wingnutters. The Bank Holiday Monday on a Friday has thrown my dispatch schedule out but it's boxed up sitting here beside me waiting for Parcelforce to take it away on Monday (maybe I'll just give it an extra cuddle before it goes :grouphug:).

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A wonderful HB W12 arrived from over the penines with a good price considering my cheeky bid for a D1v on Ebay was blown away in the slipstream for £156. Moral, stick to those traders you know. They are the the way, the truth and the light!

• Like 1

On 09/05/2020 at 08:19, Duncan B said:

It was indeed and I am pleased you did, nice for the last one to go to one of my regular Wingnutters. The Bank Holiday Monday on a Friday has thrown my dispatch schedule out but it's boxed up sitting here beside me waiting for Parcelforce to take it away on Monday (maybe I'll just give it an extra cuddle before it goes :grouphug:).

Duncan B

2020-05-13_04-15-51

It arrived today, safe and sound. Just in time for me to go back to work.

Many thanks again, Duncan at BlackMike models.

Edited by Martin Ford
  • Like 2

These came from the LHS. Unfortunately no Scooter, so I had to grab a Swallow. Comparing the Albatros with the Czechmaster Resin one shows an obvious ancestry - not bad, unless for the very thick trailing edges of the wings. Of course I had to start immediately the Joystick vac!

49890865116_e5bf33a7fc_c.jpg

• Like 1

I'm wondering how much swapping of Wingnuts will take place? I suppose we all know what we want to acquire - or did - but I for one have a few multiple that I'd be happy to swap for ones I don't have yet. We aren't allowed to use the Buy/Sell/Trade section I know but if anyone happened to PM me about possible swaps it might make an interesting conversation when the only cost involved is that of postage?

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, melvyn hiscock said:

Ted, looking at your Copper State Models mechanic, he is going to have a hell of a job starting that motor in that direction. I’d suggest he was sucking in!

Haha, I had noticed that too.  Maybe he's just turning the prop to get more leverage?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, melvyn hiscock said:

Oooh, how do they get the prop to counter rotate in 1/32?

A degree of imagination is required............

I have actually built one of these, and although there is a lot of refinement needed I think it quite a good kit.

Paul.

8 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

A degree of imagination is required............

I have actually built one of these, and although there is a lot of refinement needed I think it quite a good kit.

Paul.

I have at least one friend that would look at that, tell me it is impossible then go away for a few days and comeback with a prototype counter rotating mechanism based on watch pieces, stuff he’s found in his workshop and the odd bit he made on his home made CNC machine. People like that make life SO much more interesting!

Edited by melvyn hiscock
Failed to spell the letter ‘C’
  • Like 1