What WW1 airplane kits/bits followed you home today?

Ted

Ordered a Fokker DVII from Hannants, anybody else want a 1/32 fat man? No home for the Nazi murderer here. I will look for some aftermarket decals for it. What made WNW think releasing this was a good idea?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RichieW said:

Ordered a Fokker DVII from Hannants, anybody else want a 1/32 fat man? No home for the Nazi murderer here. I will look for some aftermarket decals for it. What made WNW think releasing this was a good idea?

I thought exactly the same thing but was surprised how well they sold. I suspect most folk did what you and I did and ditched the figure. I wanted the kit because it was the F version not for the future Nazi.

Duncan B

• Like 1

The Wingnuts decal sheet for the DVIIF  (Fighting Fokkers part 5) has alternative  schemes:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3089&cat=3

As does  Pheon sheet 32047, which has the advantage of being available:

https://www.pheondecals.com/32047-fokker-dviif-for-the-wnw-kit.html

However, the Goering boxing doesn't come with lozenge decals, so these would need to be sourced elsewhere. Aviattic is the obvious choice (and superior to Wingnut decals in any case), and I'm sure Richard would appreciate the business in these challenging times.

As for the figure, if  the head is replaced it becomes more anonymous.

Edited by iang
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, iang said:

However, the Goering boxing doesn't come with lozenge decals, so these would need to be sourced elsewhere. Aviattic is the obvious choice (and superior to Wingnut decals in any case), and I'm sure Richard would appreciate the business in these challenging times.

As for the figure, if  the head is replaced it becomes more anonymous.

Good shout that, got to help small businesses stay afloat. 

5 hours ago, iang said:

• Like 1

Indeed it is. I have gone ahead and purchased some buckles and stuff from Bob's Buckles and have ordered some Aviattic lozenge decals sets for the WnW Fokker D.VIIF (that arrived today). I haven't decided what actual aircraft I want to build yet though. I do like one of the schemes from the WnW Fighting Fokkers Pt5 but of course it's long gone.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Duncan,

There's also  a couple of schemes on this Lifelike decal sheet, which are also available still from some internet sellers:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/decals/life/decal_ll32018.shtml

I like the top one, D.VII (Fokker), 4348/18, Jasta Boelcke, Lt Paul Blunk, Lenz by Mons airfield, Nov 1918.

IG

Edited by iang

5 minutes ago, iang said:

Duncan,

There's also  a couple of schemes on this Lifelike decal sheet, which are also available still from some internet sellers:

I like the top one, D.VII (Fokker), 4348/18, Jasta Boelcke, Lt Paul Blunk, Lenz by Mons airfield, Nov 1918.

IG

The second one down looks good! 

10 hours ago, iang said:

Duncan,

IG

Yes I found the Lifelike sheets while trawling the internet yesterday. They have four sheets for the D.VII, 32-016 - 32-019 although 32-017 doesn't have any D.VIIFs on it. I also like Blunk's one the best out of the options for the Fs but some of the OAW ones are very nice too.

Duncan B

Ok, so following all the developments during the last weeks concerning WNW, i went on an (online) quest to see if i could still find some of their kits for normal prices instead of having to get a loan at the bank to purchase one. I had hope that i could still add a kit or two to my small stash before all stock was depleted. I am very happy to say that the quest was successful! (tapping my own shoulder as i write this). I found a couple of small hobbystores in Europe this week that, inbetween them, still had a fair offering of different types for the original/normal store prices. As payday was this week, i treated myself and have now added (and already received = shipment was amazingly fast from all of them) these kits:

- WNW Roland C.II

- WNW AMC DH.9

- WNW DH.9a Ninak (post war)

- WNW Salmson 2-A2 / Otsu 1

- WNW Albatros B.II early

With my build rate, that should be enough for a couple of years

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EpicPlastic said:

- WNW Roland C.II

- WNW AMC DH.9

- WNW DH.9a Ninak (post war)

- WNW Salmson 2-A2 / Otsu 1

- WNW Albatros B.II early

That's a lot of big two seat airplane kits. Well done.

Arrived yesterday, the three separate Aviattic four colour lozenge decal sets for my Fokker D.VIIF (boy are they expensive so I had better not screw them up) and also the WnW decals required to make Otto Löffler's Jasta 2 D.VIIF kindly donated by our very own Viking. Nothing but my lack of skills stopping me from that project now.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Received today
 A Mister Craft 1/48 Albatros D.III. Its an old Merit or Aurora kit re-issued. I bought it really for the decals. There are 7 different options, some of which I can use on some other old kits which need restoring. £10 for kit and decals or £9 for a set of decals for 3,  :hmmm:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Received today
 A Mister Craft 1/48 Albatros D.III. Its an old Merit or Aurora kit re-issued. I bought it really for the decals. There are 7 different options, some of which I can use on some other old kits which need restoring. £10 for kit and decals or £9 for a set of decals for 3,  :hmmm:

That is a good way to do it.                           I find that I buy the sets of lovely Pheon decals and end up with lots of spares.        I bought a block purchase of the Eduard 1/48 Albatross DV over trees boxes to mop up some of the extra decals.  I have 5 kits but this is still less than half of the decal sets.  
enjoy your multi build.  

Andrew. 

15 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

May I ask where you found the Roland? :)

Of course, i found this kit on the website of a model shop near Breda, the Netherlands, called "ROBI modelbouw".

If you're looking for one, i'm afraid it was the last one they had. The only kit in stock now is a WNW Sopwith "Gnome".

• Thanks 1

On 01/05/2020 at 09:13, Duncan B said:

Arrived yesterday, the three separate Aviattic four colour lozenge decal sets for my Fokker D.VIIF (boy are they expensive so I had better not screw them up) 

Duncan B

Expensive, but very, very nice. I've just finished my W.29 using Aviattic Naval Hex. Completely different from the WnW decals.

Edited by iang
  • Like 1

I had an interesting response from Hannants regarding the broken fuselage frame in my DVII. They were informed as soon as I had seen it and, as retailer, it is their responsibility to either refund or replace, neither of which was offered. Instead I was copied on an email from them to WNW (or what is left them) asking them to replace the parts. 

I also had an email from WNW, although not actually addressed to me, part of what is clearly a lot of ‘cut and paste’ response to a lot of people, saying they would be getting my order out as soon as possible, so having a name, I replied and asked if I could get a replacement sprue on the DVII, so they have been asked twice BUT it is not their responsibility to replace directly to a wholesalers customer and I am a tad suspicious that Hannants are being slippery backed.

It was up to them to replace the entire kit, which I would imagine is sold out, or to offer a refund, or we could discuss a partial refund due to the damage. Asking a company we all know to have gone out of business to sort it out, from the other side of the world, does not convince me.

I am awaiting some sort of progress

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, melvyn hiscock said:

I had an interesting response from Hannants regarding the broken fuselage frame in my DVII. They were informed as soon as I had seen it and, as retailer, it is their responsibility to either refund or replace, neither of which was offered. Instead I was copied on an email from them to WNW (or what is left them) asking them to replace the parts. 

I also had an email from WNW, although not actually addressed to me, part of what is clearly a lot of ‘cut and paste’ response to a lot of people, saying they would be getting my order out as soon as possible, so having a name, I replied and asked if I could get a replacement sprue on the DVII, so they have been asked twice BUT it is not their responsibility to replace directly to a wholesalers customer and I am a tad suspicious that Hannants are being slippery backed.

It was up to them to replace the entire kit, which I would imagine is sold out, or to offer a refund, or we could discuss a partial refund due to the damage. Asking a company we all know to have gone out of business to sort it out, from the other side of the world, does not convince me.

You'd think the easiest thing for Hannants to do would be to offer you a modest store credit and make it all go away. Hope it gets sorted out Melvyn.

20 hours ago, melvyn hiscock said:

Send it back and ask for a refund.

Duncan B

Hmmm.... not a good look at all. I’m sure they know the law as well as you clearly do. I had an issue with them once some years ago which they blamed on a junior employee so try getting hold of someone senior.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:42 AM, Black Knight said:

Received today

That is a good way to do it.                           I find that I buy the sets of lovely Pheon decals and end up with lots of spares.        I bought a block purchase of the Eduard 1/48 Albatross DV over trees boxes to mop up some of the extra decals.  I have 5 kits but this is still less than half of the decal sets.  
enjoy your multi build.  

Andrew. 

This is interesting as as I am sure we all know if you buy something from a shop your contract is with the person that sold you the product not the producer of the product?  
Andrew. 

• Like 1