Hunter as D-558 in The Right Stuff

airjiml2

I have been asked to build a Revell Hunter for a Museum display as the Hunter that was (slightly) modified to appear as a Douglas D-558-2 in "The Right Stuff."  There isn't much on the net about the aircraft which was an ex-Danish US based civil Hunter.  Anyone have any additional photos?  I remember there was a photo in an old 1984 issue of Air International, but my copy has disappeared over the years.  I'm not quite sure how the nose was modified and what the fuselage and tail markings were.  I do have the movie on order, and I can't remember how much of the Hunter was seen on film.

Thanks,

Jim

As far as i remember the Hunter/D558 is only on screen for a brief few seconds in a flypast scenario. (Its during the barbeque scene when Cooper burns the sausage as his wife looks on in horror at 'Hot Dog' going up in flames..). The shot of the hunter is head-on so I only know for sure it was painted white and i thought the nose looked more pointed than i expected. Although as I have never seen a Hunter in the flesh head on at below 500ft agl I'm not sure what i should expect.

As a slight aside, I remember reading an article in the old Scale Models magazine in the 80s. (It might have even been before it became Scale Models International mag...). It was a build article on I think a vacform Bell X-1 but the author mentioned a book that had "details on all the Right Stuff aircraft in the film". Of course i remember that quote but not the name of the book... Does anyone know it or did i imagine it?

Edit; Scimitar beat me to it. I dont have the extended version so I don't remember that shot. Still cant tell about the nose....

Edited by roym

A possible candidate?

Serial #: -
Construction #: -
Civil Registration:
  N72602
 Model(s):
  F Mk. 51
Name: None
Last info: 2002

History: 
Delivered to Royal Danish AF as E-403, 19??.
Hawker Siddeley Aircraft Ltd, Dunsfold, 1976.
Al Letcher & Associates, Mojave, CA, 1977-1985.
- Registered as N72602.
- Shipped to Mojave, CA.
- First flight May 23, 1978.
Al Hansen & Ascher Ward, Mojave, CA, 1989-2002.

Scimitar, Yep, that is the airplane.  

Sabrejet, I have the same memory, but no longer have the issue of Air International it was featured in.  It appears it was the January 1984 issue.  

Thanks all,

Jim

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 23:06, airjiml2 said:

Sabrejet, I have the same memory, but no longer have the issue of Air International it was featured in.  It appears it was the January 1984 issue.  

I might have that edition.  Bear with...

On 5/13/2018 at 8:37 PM, Hook said:

I definitely have that issue in one of my bound Air International volumes.

As does my local library! That article is how I first learned of the film. I imagine you can access your copy much quicker!

If anyone can put their hands on the issue and scan the Hunter photo, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jim

It's volume 26, for those with bound sets. Unfortunately, I don't have that one, but thought the info might help those who want to search for it.

The cover features a Japanese C-130H, and the contents are:

http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/air-international-magazine-january-1984-issue.html#

Edited by Paul Bradley
Add'l info

19 hours ago, k5054nz said:

As does my local library! That article is how I first learned of the film. I imagine you can access your copy much quicker!

You, sir, are obviously unaware of my enormous talents regarding creating chaos and scattering stuff around the house.  ;) 

11 hours ago, airjiml2 said:

If anyone can put their hands on the issue and scan the Hunter photo, I'd really appreciate it!

I did manage to locate the volume - I can do a scan of the article (three and a half pages) for those interested. Drop me a message with your emails and I'll get around to it later this week. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

It looks like the Hunter has a pointy nose

I haven't seen the pictures in the magazines but if you enlarge the flying shot in the link I posted ,I'm not sure if it did. Open to correction here as always.

Granted it is a terrible picture and enlarging it just makes things worse.

I also just realised that the other photo is the real thing and not a Hunter.

10 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

It looks like the Hunter has a pointy nose with a nose probe and part of the canopy was painted over so a simple conversion.

She did, the pic in the article (ooh! tease!) is quite clear.

Quote: 

"Eventually, a privately-owned Hawker Hunter was used as a substitute for the Skyrocket. Suitably modified with a nose probe and painted white with NACA insignia, the Hunter was considered to look sufficiently like the Skyrocket in profile to be acceptable for the flying scenes, which were long shots from the ground."

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hook said:

You, sir, are obviously unaware of my enormous talents regarding creating chaos and scattering stuff around the house.  ;) 

I did manage to locate the volume - I can do a scan of the article (three and a half pages) for those interested. Drop me a message with your emails and I'll get around to it later this week. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Andre,

Thank you sir.  PM sent!

Jim

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

I haven't seen the pictures in the magazines but if you enlarge the flying shot in the link I posted ,I'm not sure if it did. Open to correction here as always.

Granted it is a terrible picture and enlarging it just makes things worse.

I also just realised that the other photo is the real thing and not a Hunter.

My feeling is that for the flying shots it was just a white painted Hunter.  For the ground shots the other modifications were added.

Jim

• Like 1

Saw that earlier today.  Thanks for posting the RS obit - a magazine to which he was intrinsically linked.  I guess I will have to reread the Right Stuff as well as build the Hunter.

Jim

Edited by airjiml2

Worth re-reading several other things of his, too - notably “Jousting with SAM and Charlie” (pubpished in his Mauve Gloves & Madmen collection of essays, from memory) - one of the best descriptions of flying from a carrier ever published.  A brilliant writer.

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Worth re-reading several other things of his, too - notably “Jousting with SAM and Charlie” (pubpished in his Mauve Gloves & Madmen collection of essays, from memory) - one of the best descriptions of flying from a carrier ever published.  A brilliant writer.

I can remember reading that in Esquire magazine when it was first published.  It's also in The Purple Decades collection.

Regards,

Murph

• 1 month later...