Persian Furies

stevehed

Hi,

From what I have gathered Persian aircraft were powered by either the British Mercury radial or the American Pratt and Whitney Hornet radial. Both engines are air cooled, produced similar horsepower ratings, about 550hp, and the Mercury machines had a top speed in the region of 220mph. The Hornet machines appear to have been capable of only 178mph and some were re-engined with Mercury radials. Assuming this to be correct why should two engines that appear to be very similar produce such dramatically different performances.

Regards, Steve

Off the top of my head: compare the following between the two: compression ratio, prop, dry weight, supercharger I have attached links to specs on both engines; see if they help you. I also love the Hornet-powered Persian Furies, and have been working on a conversion using the Matchbox Fury and some P12E parts off and on. It's actually a fairly easy conversion, but you will need 1/72 profile drawings to see where the nose needs to be shortened and re-profiled.

Mike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-1690_Hornet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Mercury

You need to be careful when comparing any two engines, as depending upon the model, many radials enjoyed steady increases in power, as compression ratios, supercharger ratios, and octane ratings of the  fuel used improved over time.

Thank you both very much. Very informative. The PW was about 100lbs heavier, required ballast in the tail and I assume the three blade metal prop was heavier too. Not forgetting some cooling issues.

There can be also a difference in altitude on which the speed was determiced (achieved). The Bristol replaced PW, in times of WWII only Bristol engine Furies were in Persian army.

I made a conversion of A-model Fury to a Persian one:

Regads

J-W

1 hour ago, JWM said:

There can be also a difference in altitude on which the speed was determiced (achieved). The Bristol replaced PW, in times of WWII only Bristol engine Furies were in Persian army.

I made a conversion of A-model Fury to a Persian one:

Regads

J-W

Two very, very nice conversions! Thanks for sharing them & the how-to!

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, speaking of Fury and its Persian versions I would like to ask you for help with documentation. Friend of mine provided me copy of article about Hawker Fury from Air Classics Volume 13 Number 4 April 1977 with excellent plans of Persian Hawker Fury. It's actually part four. Can anybody tell me if the other parts of this monography contain scale plans as well? Possibly Norwegian version? I would be very gratefull for any help. I was searching for the list what was published in this splendid magazine on the internet, but found nothing 😞

Edited by David Hényk CZ