COMPLETED dual build Tiger and Crusader

Id like to join in the fun please.

I plan a dual build of a Tiger and Cruisader tank, both 1/48 Tamiya.

These were bought for the first MTO group build but real life got in the way so they went to the top shelf.

I usually do aircraft but thought Id do something different for a change, the only other tank I built was a 1/35 chieften for a cold war group build which I enjoyed building.

These will be built out of the box with only additions being glue, paint and weathering material.

Got a few things planned over the summer so dont know how quick these will be but should make deadline.

Here is the starting point

IMG_3290.jpg

Edited by delta7
  • Like 9

Good to see more AFVs in this GB. I've made the Tiger you've got there and it went together very well. Looking forward to seeing your project in progress. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

some progress,

wheels in process of getting painted and some plastic stuck to some metal, not very exciting , especially painting the rubber surrounds on wheels but inching forward....

IMG_3291.jpg

Edited by delta7
  • Like 5

All progress is good. And it looks like you've got most of the tyres done.......I've yet to start mine.....😟

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

some further progress, base coat on and wheels finished and attatched.

Iv started on the tracks on the tiger and its been a bit of a flaff, the tracks are made up of multiple sections of plastic which have to attatch together and line up with wheels. The rubber type tracks for the challenger I did were much easier to work with.

Perhaps I should have attatched them prior to the upper hull as per instructions, but that didnt seem sensable at the time due to how the paint would go on.............. ah well you live and learn

IMG_3574.jpg

Edited by delta7
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, delta7 said:

Perhaps I should have attatched them prior to the upper hull as per instructions, but that didnt seem sensable at the time due to how the paint would go on.

Usually on tanks there is an upper/lower hull. I always paint the hulls seperate so i can install the link and length types of track. Then i glue the upper/lower hulls together. Two things the tracks and weathering can usually hide the majority of any seams. If you have skirts thst will also hide the majority of seams. You can then touch up the front/back of hull. 

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Finally beaten the tracks into submition, these were true dementors sucking any mojo right out of me.

Side skirts are on crusader and Ill begin the detail painting then weathering. The rear gasoline fuel tank got knocked off the crusader so its somewhere safe ( i.e. somewhere I will forget) until later.

Im booked up for the next couple of weeks so it will be a while until update

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

• Like 4

Ok dragged kicking and screaming back to these. 

Now scunner is a good scots words which means to be really really fed up with something, and it applies to these builds and the reason is down to the tracks. and the decals. The tracks , the decals and...........................

Well you get the idea. I must have broke and rejoined each track  three or four times and still not really happy with look and sit but I cant be bothered anymore. The final straw was the decals for the tiger which split everytime I tried to adjust them . It is so bad I have used up all the crosses and have had to order some more decals.

Anyway as I await these arriving I have finished the crusader

It is totaly Tamiya, straight out of box with the only addition an aeriel wire, tamiya paints and tamiya weathering products finished it off. Ill post a wee picture here and more in gallery

IMG_4117.jpg

• Like 5

Tiger finished

Tamiya paints and weathering

H models decals depicting Tiger of 2 company July 43 Sicily.

IMG_4129.jpg

I will post further pics in gallery but here is one of both together

IMG_4138.jpg

Thanks to all for encouragement , kept me going to completion.

• Like 2