This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

clive_t

Resurrection of my Large Scale Garden Railway

... but before we return to that area, another area in dire need of some TLC - the Chipside Bank! This is the incline which takes the continuous loop from the ground level up to the raised bed at Chipside. This is the last area where the old original 'Sticks n Bricks' approach to track bed engineering survived since inception way back when. So, this is how it looked this morning:

oL7U4wn.jpg

Up with the track:

LabTfxl.jpg

The flower pots and rotten wood were removed, and a start made on replacing these with celcons:

M5XALFb.jpg

These will be loose-laid, no cementing. More of the same:

hqePGOE.jpg

Then finally the last one was laid, and the track circuit reinstated:

Y6M6Bjs.jpg

Another step closer to complete renovation! :thumbsup2:

Thanks for watching! :)

Another big step forward: on Monday, I managed to dig out the last of the earth, weeds and grass around the Water's Edge branch line and get a rudimentary track bed down. This is how it looked before I started:

ymHTnoS.jpg

I had some concrete slabs that a neighbour was throwing out; they are an ideal track bed apart from being too big. Luckily I have an angle grinder on hand to take care of that issue:

Ppsv9Gf.jpg

vOy5bo4.jpg

So about 3 hours' work to get all this done, and I was done in!

lyM7OWs.jpg

Then this morning, I was able to dig out and re-lay the platform blocks, and then lay the track bed:

2AovwgN.jpg

The branch terminus track bed is now awaiting cementing.

Of course, it would be rude not to test the stability of the new bed:

Whilst watching the train pass over the curved metal bridge, I noticed the metallic echo of the wheels going over the rail joints, which was neat! So I filmed it:

Thanks for watching! :)

Clive, It's looking and sounding great now. Let's hope the weather stays nice for you.

On Monday I'm off delivering beer in Chesterfield and then to Barrow hill to pick up the empties from this...

http://www.barrowhill.org/

I delivered there a couple of years ago. Wandering around at track height, it felt rather like I'd shrunk down to HO size!

Pete

Nice transformation Clive.

Question if I may?  Are you using track power or are they battery locos, if so what control mechanism do you use?  Do you have to go around with a track rubber before each running session?

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Clive, It's looking and sounding great now. Let's hope the weather stays nice for you.

On Monday I'm off delivering beer in Chesterfield and then to Barrow hill to pick up the empties from this...

http://www.barrowhill.org/

I delivered there a couple of years ago. Wandering around at track height, it felt rather like I'd shrunk down to HO size!

Pete

Thanks Pete, another sunny one today but I only have until lunchtime before 'grandpersons' descend upon us for the weekend so I'll need to get a wriggle on if I am to get anything done out there today.

Thanks for that link, by the way, it looks a very interesting place to visit - bit of a trek from the south coast though!

2 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Nice transformation Clive.

Question if I may?  Are you using track power or are they battery locos, if so what control mechanism do you use?  Do you have to go around with a track rubber before each running session?

Thanks Mr Beema. I used to use track power when I originally started the line, but I found it a pain to keep everything clean enough for the locos to run without constant stops. As part of the resurrection I am basically moving away from track power, and I will be converting my existing track-powered locos to battery power. I've only done the one so far (with only a bidirectional switch for forward/reverse), but I have recently looked into ordering a new wiring loom to convert my second. I will also be taking some tentative steps towards remote control of this newly converted loco, so watch this space! :thumbsup2:

22 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Thanks Mr Beema. I used to use track power when I originally started the line, but I found it a pain to keep everything clean enough for the locos to run without constant stops. As part of the resurrection I am basically moving away from track power, and I will be converting my existing track-powered locos to battery power. I've only done the one so far (with only a bidirectional switch for forward/reverse), but I have recently looked into ordering a new wiring loom to convert my second. I will also be taking some tentative steps towards remote control of this newly converted loco, so watch this space! :thumbsup2:

I've just been catching up & was going to ask the same question but GB beat me to it, I was wondering how you would control the engines,  looking forward to your answer & progress.

3 hours ago, spaddad said:

I've just been catching up & was going to ask the same question but GB beat me to it, I was wondering how you would control the engines,  looking forward to your answer & progress.

Hi Mr Spaddad, the hope is that I can obtain a digital wireless transmitter/speed controller, and a wireless receiver for each loco that I want to control. The transmitter that I am after will hopefully allow me to pair up with up to 12 locos. Not that I have any intention of attempting to control 12 locos simultaneously, that way madness lies! When I get the stuff I will post it on here.

So, a bit more progress today, but I am all out of sand so I need to buy another couple of bags next week. The branch terminus is all done:

85jFIKa.jpg

ErNJtQe.jpg

Hopefully more progress next week :)

Indeed, more progress this morning; the branch track bed is all but fully secure now - just a tiny bit still to do where it runs onto the bridge over the pond:

P2V55Kr.jpg

Weather permitting tomorrow, I should be finishing off this section of track bed!

Thanks for watching :)