Revell 1/72 Northrop F-89J Scorpion all-weather interceptor

I built this model about five years ago but it has had a couple of different guises and colour schemes over that time.

I was very impressed with the quality of the silver grey moulded parts and the lovely clear and scale two piece canopy glazing. Revell are to be congratulated on the way the complex shapes of the real aircraft were tackled in the kit by some clever engineering.

The model went together well but there were a couple of issues with the misleading instruction sheet.

28d1c118-823a-4f59-b30b-94a379654764.jpg

This is the boxing that my model came in when I purchased it in 1991.

It was lucky that I spotted that the instruction sheet shows the main wheels being installed the wrong way round by facing inwards instead of outwards.

You can never have enough photos of the real thing when you are building a model and never trust the kit's instructions or parts as gospel.

The kit really does impress with the amount of detail you get in the box. I added a few extra bits of detail to the well equipped cockpit such as the radar scope and some brake lines.

I sprayed the model with Halfords Aluminium car spray but was left feeling unexcited with the uniform bright silver finish which did not look like bare metal.

So I then brush painted Humbrol Polished Aluminium and Humbrol Metalic Chrome over areas of the airframe which I then buffed with a soft cloth.

I decided that I did not want a typical Scorpion colour scheme with those red wings and tail. I found a colour photo of a F-89J with orange and black chequer board markings on the nose and wing tip tanks and that is how it first appeared. I will have to try and find a photo of it in those colours.

resized_8e5d36dd-2ee8-4270-b457-504e7638

I have found pics of it painted in the colours of the 29th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. It carries an unguided Genie air to air missile with a nuclear warhead under each wing.

I had yet to paint the Squadron badge on the tail.

resized_a4c3b89b-8dfd-42a3-9287-d38f81cf

On display at South Shields in 2012.

It did not stay like that long as I then decided that I wanted something a bit less garish. I also wanted to replace the wing tip tanks with those large impressive rocket firing tanks. Only problem then was that I thought I would have to turn it back to a D model.

However I was pleased to discover that some J models actually had the wing tip rocket launchers fitted as well as the nuclear warhead armed Genie missiles. This is what I wanted.

resized_eeab9821-51ad-4c39-965f-805d1969

The caption says that this is a J model, but how can you be sure? The simple answer is in the colour of the underwing pylons. They are silver on the D models and black on the J models, and you can just see that these are black.

Next thing was to find a convincing colour scheme with no red.

resized_96a00085-1a08-4c5f-a50d-507f8828

Okay, but I want something a bit more colourful.

resized_d6612888-6bad-4ba7-ab2a-33542aa0

I think we are getting there, I like the idea of the blue and black rocket pods. I think that the pilot has gone to sleep ................ or he's texting ...................

So what I did was come up with a scheme of my own making, in other words an imaginary scheme that could have been..............

resized_460d49b3-23ab-4ed9-bc9c-4ddaad48

So here she is finally. She has the rocket pod tanks which each fired 52 unguided air to air Mighty Mouse rockets and also carries two unguided nuclear warhead Genie missiles under the wings. The crew are from my old Monogram RB-36 modified with the addition of bone domes and parachutes.

resized_dceb6e37-20c5-493d-9131-b837d351

resized_51be341c-922a-42da-a566-678f2614

The aircraft has the later runway barrier arrester hook fitted under the fuselage.

resized_424a263c-7f62-4015-8a2a-7a36a2b3

resized_40a050fd-2f53-4de1-8e48-04785a14

resized_b01ac828-964c-42ac-b904-28e4d546

resized_1f8202d9-e573-4faa-9b2a-5b7172c1

resized_8ad1b08a-bf5d-4625-95cf-9cae2b52

I have opened up the engine cooling vents just behing the intakes.

resized_4024088a-dd0f-4361-8594-9ac624a5

In this view can be seen the added windscreen wiper and radio homer

resized_dc6f58f0-309f-42bf-a321-834cd294

" jeez this kite's nearly as big as a B-36 but there's no one to bring us coffee "

resized_2a1df640-b681-4268-be14-843bee97

resized_800d7534-8d6e-4ef4-8b05-d4f57d2d

Scratchbuilt ground power trolley.

resized_3b2f706d-d33c-4556-99bf-d01718ed

resized_8d884767-e00c-437c-8e07-a397ab8b

resized_44b413fd-7c2f-4641-96b4-06236dfa

resized_7112e89c-0745-493d-ba69-0aca830c

resized_6d417022-24a8-49ff-9bc1-8af54825

resized_4fdb0f40-c296-4598-9509-7423fad2

resized_28db3c26-9bc5-4f5b-b2bd-e0a436ba

resized_2af02b28-caca-427e-92d5-33fe5ba1

resized_bec44ec3-d728-40c4-8ed1-c4a840bd

About to take off on a night interception mission.

Thanks and hope you enjoyed my Revell F-89J Scorpion all weather interceptor.

adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 52

That last night shot really looks the business!  Looks like a moody shot in Martin Caidin's "Air Force" I got when I was 8 or so, which was where I first heard of the F-89.

Great model of a classic jet.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Agree with the guy above ,the last shot looks like a real Aircraft .

Seen this kit for sale in a few places ,thinking of adding one to the stash .

(YOU SAID YOU WERE NOT GOING TO BUY ANG MORE KITS.)

Who said that? No i did not say that ,that doesn't sound like anything  i would say.

• Haha 2

Thats a really great Scorpion Adey, I really like it. The first scheme looked fine but that second scheme, although made up, looks so as if it should have been. Its so realistic! I love the way you have captured the metal finish as well. I think the Genie was referred to as an unguided rocket, rather than a guided missile, although I imagine a couple of those fired in the general direction of trouble would be more than adequate!

Thanks for sharing such a great model!

Cheers

Terry

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys for your comments. Thank you Terry for correcting me about the Genie missiles being unguided, as you say fired anywhere in the right direction would have been sufficient.  Regards, adey

• Like 1

Did you know that this year is the 60th anniversary of NORAD? Neither did l until l read it yesterday 

Love the Scorpion though l laugh when they opted for an all rocket firing interceptor. They tried shooting down a Hellcat drone once. completely missed it after firing everything. Better off having to keep the guns as well. Ah but that was back in the day 

Hacker 

• Like 2

Hi Adey,

absolutely beautiful Scorpion. Everything looks just right.

I do not know the Revell kit, although you claim the detail is very good. Was the barrier triggering mechanism on the nose and under the belly, part of the kit, or did you scratch it?

Congrats!!!

JR

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Adey,

absolutely beautiful Scorpion. Everything looks just right.

I do not know the Revell kit, although you claim the detail is very good. Was the barrier triggering mechanism on the nose and under the belly, part of the kit, or did you scratch it?

Congrats!!!

JR

Hi jean, the Revell Scorpion kit is the winner for me, everything about it looks right whereas the later Academy ones have issues, particularly with the shape of their canopies.

There were a few details which I added myself because they were not included in the kit. These were the radar scope, cockpit levers, brake lines and the runway arrester barrier hooks. The large barrier arrester hook under the fuselage was permanently fixed and added to Scorpions later in their service and was something I chose to add because they were there and made the model look different to others I have seen.

I have the book F-89 SCORPION in detail & scale by Bert Kinzey D&S VOLUME 41 published by Airlife Publishing Ltd in 1992 which has everything you ever need to know about every version of the Scorpion with plenty of close up details, photos and explanations..........it helped me no end to sort out what was what and went where.

Thank you and everyone for the  encouraging comments.

regards,  adey

6 hours ago, adey m said:

Hi jean, the Revell Scorpion kit is the winner for me, everything about it looks right whereas the later Academy ones have issues, particularly with the shape of their canopies.

There were a few details which I added myself because they were not included in the kit. These were the radar scope, cockpit levers, brake lines and the runway arrester barrier hooks. The large barrier arrester hook under the fuselage was permanently fixed and added to Scorpions later in their service and was something I chose to add because they were there and made the model look different to others I have seen.

I have the book F-89 SCORPION in detail & scale by Bert Kinzey D&S VOLUME 41 published by Airlife Publishing Ltd in 1992 which has everything you ever need to know about every version of the Scorpion with plenty of close up details, photos and explanations..........it helped me no end to sort out what was what and went where.

Thank you and everyone for the  encouraging comments.

regards,  adey

Hi Adey,

indeed the D&S on the F-89 is a must-have in order to really understand the Scorpions' idiosyncrasies.

I have the Academy 89J, in my plastic box of doom, half finished and weighing on my conscience, along with the too many other kits keeping it company...

I can't say I noticed a problem with the canopy, as the whole affair looks like a Scorpion to me! One thing it has over the Revell though, is the protective windshield for the back-sitter. No kit is ever perfect!!!

Great show and Congrats!

JR

• Like 1

Great build Adey, love those early American jets.

Years ago I walked into a pound shop and there was a stack of Revell Scorpions, different box though.

I bought a couple!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Adey,

indeed the D&S on the F-89 is a must-have in order to really understand the Scorpions' idiosyncrasies.

I have the Academy 89J, in my plastic box of doom, half finished and weighing on my conscience, along with the too many other kits keeping it company...

I can't say I noticed a problem with the canopy, as the whole affair looks like a Scorpion to me! One thing it has over the Revell though, is the protective windshield for the back-sitter. No kit is ever perfect!!!

Great show and Congrats!

JR

One thing it has over the Revell though, is the protective windshield for the back-sitter. No kit is ever perfect!!

You are very correct there jean, I had forgotten about that major omission by Revell.  Yes and again I agree with you, no kit is ever perfect.

regards,  adey