Hey all

PaulV

Hey all,

I am a brand new to scale modelling. Got into it as find it one of the best relaxation therapies when things are getting too hot at work (I work within eCommerce industry, so really need a good therapy :D )

Love the learning bits in this hobby and that it is quite cheap (instead of going for few bears in London I can occupy myself for 5 long evenings  or more for less money :D ) and of course it is challenging (challenging techniques, overcoming shaking hands, challenging wife's challenges of "why do you need the planes on your desk"

So far I have done only 1/72 scale ww2 aircraft (just love ww2 planes somehow) and currently working on my 4th one. 

Airfix Hurricane - was the very first, messed up couple of bits badly, but in general loved it!

Airfix P51d - my first favourite plane, loved the kit at that time. 

Eduard Spitfire - my second favourite plane. Fall in love with eduard kits, so much details, complicated for newbie, challenging, amazing detailing. Even though I am not pro - but my airfix kits look crap now just by look and detailing + of course my poor skills :D Probably I would have stopped the hobby if not Eduard. I got it for only £10 (Profipack) on Amazon. That's a pity Eduard does not do p51 - would love to build it.

Currently working on Tamiya P51D - looks like a huge step back from Eduards, however I quite enjoy it, since can avoid the mistakes I have done previously + I can already compare it with the previous built from Airfix + I can do more advanced mistakes now :D 

And I have Airfix 1/72 scale spitfire waiting, however after initially looking at it decided not to do this one, I believe it would be great model for the first build etc, but I am planning to utilise it for testing some techniques, it was only £4 off ebay with brushes and paints :)

So many thanks for accepting me, hope to find lots of valuable information here! Ta!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PaulV said:

"why do you need the planes on your desk"

Ask her why she needs so many shoes.

Hi Paul,

Welcome to BM and welcome to our hobby.

Eduard is also my favourite manufacture, for exactly the reasons you mention, but there are good and bad for most companies, a lot (but not all) of it depends on when the mould for the kit was originally made (tooled). I don't know if you have found it yet, but one of the most useful modelling sites is called Scalemates: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/

If you type in the box the aircraft (or tank or ship etc.) you are interested in and then select a scale, it will show every kit and aftermarket item for your chosen aircraft. There is a lot of information, including reviews for some, that hopefully will help you to pick the best kit available.

Any questions – we are happy to help.

Gorby

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Ask her why she needs so many shoes.

Hi Paul,

Welcome to BM and welcome to our hobby.

Eduard is also my favourite manufacture, for exactly the reasons you mention, but there are good and bad for most companies, a lot (but not all) of it depends on when the mould for the kit was originally made (tooled). I don't know if you have found it yet, but one of the most useful modelling sites is called Scalemates: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/

If you type in the box the aircraft (or tank or ship etc.) you are interested in and then select a scale, it will show every kit and aftermarket item for your chosen aircraft. There is a lot of information, including reviews for some, that hopefully will help you to pick the best kit available.

Any questions – we are happy to help.

Gorby

Many thanks!

I have asked her about perfume. Since I can live with hers too many shoes, her collection of perfume is a great argument against why I want many planes :D

I know the web already, but did not go into very details there. Anyway, it just proves that the hobby is quite a hard work, since it is complicated from the beginning of "what kit to choose" up to the end "what decals will I use". :D 

• Like 1

You're very brave to be tackling an Eduard so early in the game!  I've not tried one but I had a look at their Spit in a box at the local model shop.  It had more parts than a couple of Airfix heavy bombers and an Ikea desk... Scared me to death.  Not sure I'll ever be ready to take on Eduard.

Edited by Uncle Pete

:welcome: aboard Paul - good to have you here.  Don't let @Uncle Pete put you off an Eduard kit.  They're excellent OOB and have lots of detail.  Pete's just easily frightened ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Pete's just easily frightened

How dare you!  I'm as brave as the next bloke (assuming the next bloke is Mr Bean).

Edited by Uncle Pete
  • Haha 1