Airways Vacform Britannia - need help

Hi all,

my kit seems to have part of the instructions missing. There’s some details of the assembly sequence I don’t understand with regards to the nacelles. They each come in 2 halves labeled in pairs, 1,2,3,&4. Should I glue both parts 1 together, and so forth? Or, is each nacelle, for example the inboard composed of a part 1, and a part 2 to take into account the wing taper? If anyone has built this kit and can clarify  this, I would be most grateful.

Also, does anyone know what the dihedral angle on the main plane is?

TW

Hiya Tony,

Built one a while back..build progress here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235015778-bristol-britannia-vacform-subject-name-change/&tab=comments#comment-2613778

You do have to account for the wing taper, a lot of trial and error cutting fettling and filling is required to get the nacelles in the right spanwise location, in the correct alignment fore and aft as well as up and down, the wing "holes" may have to be oversized to allow placement without distorting the quite flexible vacuform piece when sliding the items onto the wing

all the best with your build, it is the best vacuform I have ever played with

cheers

wally

• Like 1

I built one about a gazillion years ago - and concur with 'wally' about the engine nacelles - lots of fettling to get the airfoil shape cutouts in the nacelles to match the wing cross-section.

The inner 'hole' in each nacelle has to be slightly bigger than the outer hole - to allow for wing taper.

I can remember making the Proteous exhausts from suitable diameter brass tubing - 'squashed' into an oval shape.

The model was finished in A&AEE colours - as part of my clubs 'Bristol Collection'

filton%202004_01.jpg

filton%202004_04.jpg

Good luck with your model Tony...

Ken

• Like 1

Thanks Wally and Ken,

I’ve looked at your marvellous examples, and those will be a tough act to follow. I was planning to cut bulkheads and spars from 0.060 sheet, and hang the main gear from the rear spar. Thanks to all of you for the guidance on this one. I estimate 9 months to complete.

Tony

• 3 months later...
On 5/10/2018 at 5:56 PM, Tony Whittingham said:

Hi all,

my kit seems to have part of the instructions missing. There’s some details of the assembly sequence I don’t understand with regards to the nacelles. They each come in 2 halves labeled in pairs, 1,2,3,&4. Should I glue both parts 1 together, and so forth? Or, is each nacelle, for example the inboard composed of a part 1, and a part 2 to take into account the wing taper? If anyone has built this kit and can clarify  this, I would be most grateful.

Also, does anyone know what the dihedral angle on the main plane is?

TW

I never had this particular kit but as vacform/short run kits go... It would be logical to think that the two halves marked 1 go together to form Number 1 engine but do dry tests before you commit to glue. Regarding fettling, I suggest that you tape sandpaper to the wing surface and run the nacelles against it, this way you should obtain a matching cutout easily. Keep up the good work!