I really shouldn't have Kitty Hawk AS 565SA Panther. Bulgarian Navy.

As they say, maybe I shouldn't have started a new model without finishing the current one(s)! Well this started out last year, with wanting to help a non helicopeter modeller who was having difficulty assembling the above. It's not a difficult modle to build and it's well moulded and detailed. However there aren't any locating pips or stubs... So I piled in one sunday morning and got as far as he had in a coupleof hours. Sent him pics and an explanation and he was on his wasy.

Once i had got this far, there was no turnign back. So I trolled the intergoogle for some pics, and found this rather stricking Bulgarian Navy version. There's lots of added on sensors and small detail. So I haulded the box off the 'shelf of doom' last week, to check where I had got to. The the codes will come from the decal stash but the roundels, I'll have to get made. That is unless I feel adventerous and make masks.

Here is the kit box art...

IMG_2585crre_zps4o1zilpo.jpg

So, this is where I'm at, the starboard side is a mirror of the port. Exhaust heat shields added from foil and the other parts from styrene square rod....

IMG_2587crre_zps9g58txzh.jpg

IMG_2589crre_zpsfr4ne0by.jpg

IMG_2588crre_zpsoreriwxn.jpg

The image above is by Anton Balakchiev, I hope he dosen't object to me posting it here?

Anyway, lots still to be made and added, It won't be a rush job but enjoy the ride.

Colin

• Like 9

Thanks Azgaron, it's a nice looking chopper and a good kit. The only other offering of this type was a very early civil type from Heller kit in 50th scale. Plenty of add ons to make it really interesting.

Colin

Glad you picked up on it Crisp, you deffinitely have to keep your eyes peeled as to what kits are around. Did you see Kitty Hawk have released the SH-H Seasprite? Same kit as the G but maybe with some new weapons parts and declas. BTW you can't buld a G from the G kit!!! As nice as it is. Kitty Hawk didn't do their homwork there...

Colin

• Like 2

I have this kit in the stash with the intention of doing it as an Irish Air Corps machine. Therefore I have to be interested in this build.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Glad you picked up on it Crisp, you deffinitely have to keep your eyes peeled as to what kits are around. Did you see Kitty Hawk have released the SH-H Seasprite? Same kit as the G but maybe with some new weapons parts and declas. BTW you can't buld a G from the G kit!!! As nice as it is. Kitty Hawk didn't do their homwork there...

Colin

Hello Colin,

I have the Seasprite in the Stash, 2 seasprites in fact...

The Kitty Hawk and a Matchbox, I will turn the Matchbox one in an early Viet Nam era helicopter...

Load of work since the engine deck is totally different...

So, I must also be carefull about KH one too....

Pretty good job on your Dauphin, I'll follow if you don't mind..

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

What the hell are those loudspeaker-y things hanging off the weapon pylon (under & slightly to the left of the roundel)?  Are they going to try to talk to the submarine?  [“We know you’re down there...”]

• Haha 1

Who knows Crisp could be talk the subs out or the water. Maybe loud music so they will surface. It's a nice little model and well detailed. There are a few detractors on Helicopter Modeller FB page!

I think the French navy one might interest you, or maybe not!

Had to do some rework on the stbd heat sheild last eve, photos to follow next week, off to Cape Town on Sunday and won't even get anywhere near a model shop!

Colin

The man asks a question, which has no answer...  As they say, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answeres. Navy helicopters have a uniqueness that the rest don't.

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I've done sme more work on the Panther, however. Photobucket is being arsey tonight, so all my images won't uplaod! Where do they think they are coming from, it can't be too difficult to host a few images, can it?

Anyway, back to braile, I did some painting this afternoon, the main rotorblades, the cockpit and the engine bay.

So until the 'bucket' is tipped over to release all my images, you'll have to dream. Sorry!

Colin

• Sad 3

Ok guys, I managed a little airbrush work last week, the engine platform the cockpit and the main rotorblades.

IMG_2729re.jpg

IMG_2730crre.jpg

IMG_2731crre.jpg

From the kit instrustions, the engine deck appears to be matt black, which seems a little hard to belive, so I'll be doing some dry brushing with silver tints. The MRB's may need some attention to the leading edges with an anti abrasion coating.

Ok, as mentioned in the Wessex prototype build thread, I'm out of here until the end of the month. we need some sun to tide us over hte southern winter. So Portugal and Spain until the end of the month.

Chat soon 

Colin

• Like 2