Not another 1/144 XX1 U-2540 Submarine!

Thank you @clive_t for you kind words. Thanks to @Gorby, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @robgizlu, and @clive_t for your "likes".

Well, the Wardroom is not as easy as it appears. Or maybe I should say, It would be easier if I did not want to alter it.

There are two Wardrooms, on aft and one forward. So it was prudent to work on both since they share similar builds and colours.

Decided to add (paint) a bluish carpet for the floor, and add handrails (which they had) on each of the thirty beds.

ouMRXyX.jpg

Trying to create a sort of a peepshow. There are port-wall bunkers in the line-of-sight. But I think one can find a line of vision to see into the starboard area (across the hallway).

bBBS1rd.jpg

WP4KgTj.jpg

4C67HUM.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you @Corsairfoxfouruncle, and @Gorby for your 'likes'.

Filed the snipped ends off the bed railings.

Painted the bed linen and their aluminium frames. Also added more paint to the wardroom wall.

LD1Sne9.jpg

The Captain's chair is sunk into the floor, so I decided to cut it off and raise it (1 mm).

nNVjHVJ.jpg

You can see the slight illusion I made with the furniture. Painted the carpet along all the furniture sides, then painted the wooden tops and legs. It gives the solid tables and stools some empty space.

npxjdII.jpg

• Like 5

Amazing work Pete (I wouldn't expect anything else from you).

I didn't appreciate how big this sub was until you started on the wardroom area, it was huge!

Thank you @Gorby, @robgizlu, and @Corsairfoxfouruncle, for your 'likes' and support.

Ran into another challenge when looking under the wardrooms _ seeing the battery banks. Revell has made detailed battery banks which nobody has yet explored to reveal. It is obvious from what I have seen so far from this model, that instruction pamphlets ought to be called guidelines. If they did, more modellers would start looking for ways of altering or improving their models.

zj5c6Xs.jpg

Anyway, if I followed the so-called instructions, the batteries will not show themselves as Revell has made them. So what to do? One could cut out the wardroom floor, or remove the top battery bank and only show the bottom one. Or be really audacious and create a cross-section of the top battery bank, This would not only reveal part of the bottom bank, but also what the batteries are made of.

Hv29H0o.jpg

RoITzGp.jpg

Still waiting for ordered plastic filler. Will need to fill out the joins and make smooth the cross-section before painting the internals. They will be small details. I sure hope to can do it.

Some of the bottom bank is now visible, There is a walkway in the centre of the top bank. A figurine there would make it more dramatic. Looks like I will need to trim away a portion of the wardroom floor to shed more light onto the banks.

AkeUpqh.jpg

• Like 5

There was a U Boat at the car boot sale at the weekend.

This one was just under five feet long and had been remote controlled at some point.

Because it was so big the guy had put it up on the car roof.

I told him it made a great change from a surf board.

Some great detailing in your build, BTW.

• Haha 3

Thank you @Martian Hale, @Pete in Lincs, @Hewy, @Gorby for your comments.

Thank you @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @whitestar12chris, @Martian Hale, and @Gorby for your 'likes'.

I wish to create a mini-diorama in the battery compartment. A dramatic scene could be based on a dangerous situation is of a compromised battery: where leaking sulphuric acid reacts with salt water to release chlorine gas. This gas has a distinct yellow-green colour to it. The diorama is about a crewman investigating battery damage.

rtWRS1L.jpg

Glued and soldered two LEDs together which share a common cathode lead (earth). Had to file some of the plastic away first. Then soldered leads to the them. Installed the LEDs to the top battery bank. They are hidden, and hoping the two colour lighs will meld together. If not, I may have to use a medium that will aid in the blending. Anyway, much of the projected outcome won't be known until everything is in place. Fine-tuning will be inevitable for such a cramped dark space as the battery compartment.

uhTOmXB.jpg

While playing around with the battery banks I realised that there is a wall missing. It is part of the battery bay. Added more styrene.

To help increase light onto the subject, the back wall (hull) and ceiling got a coat of white gloss paint. Will add another coat tomorrow.

Altered one of the figurines to look as it he is creeping along the low central gangway, while holding a torch. Optic fibre is used for the torch. Eventually the LED and fibre will be blacked out, only having the light coming out of the torch end. Drilling into the LED to have the fibre inserted, and wrapping in foil really intensified the light through the fibre. It should look okay in situ.

6zgc2TN.jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Gorby said:

Thats probably the head on the U-Boat ? You have to turn the valves in the correct sequence to flush the 🚽 ... otherwise you might sink the boat. 😉

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 2

looking good so far. When painting the strain from the lightguide black, you will loose most of the light, maybe not by first getting a reflective coat, and then black, that I haven't tried yet. That's my experience...

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

looking good so far. When painting the strain from the lightguide black, you will loose most of the light, maybe not by first getting a reflective coat, and then black, that I haven't tried yet. That's my experience...

Yes, I am going the use as much foil as I can, then black it all out to conceal the optic fibre. The back of the LED will first be covered with plastic putty, then painted black. Have been waiting for this putty for a few weeks now. Cannot start painting the cross-section until I fill the fine gaps around the added polystyrene. 

Edited by Getunderit

Thank you @clive_t, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Silenoz for your comments. Thank you @Gorby, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Martian Hale, @clive_t, @beefy66, and @Pete in Lincs for your 👍.

Today I focused on the bulkhead between Control and Wardroom(s). Decided to have the Captain barge into Control Room through the bulkhead door. Had to chop two figurines to get the right figure.

Used a few decals, but wished I had not. While painting, I am re-learning how to manipulate the brush and paint consistency to improve the outcome.

r9ROiHA.jpg

WMks1VW.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you @clive_t, @GrantGoodale, @Courageous, @Gorby, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, and @Martian Hale for your 'likes'. 

Well, I learnt a lot doing this cross-section. The main lesson is that a 2D cross-section on a 3D model does not work too well. To do a good job would require a 3D cross-section (a model within a model). Next time I'll do it differently.

vjIsYBD.jpg

Decided against adding battery leads. I thought that would make it too busy (It's already too busy).

I think the cross-section does give a good idea what the batteries look like.

v6Spk7V.jpg

Looks like chlorine gas can be lethal.

K2X6DGW.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...

Only just seen this thread.  Lovely use of figures and lighting.  Makes such a difference to a model, as does your attention to detail.  Still getting over that clock face!