RS Models 1/72 P-51H

I don't usually share work I do for others but I'm kinda proud of this one. I had to beat the RS kit into submission with a good amount of elbow grease and super glue. Decals were very nice though.

X17LeCq.jpg

pZ2zWLW.jpg

• Like 31

16 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That is a very nice looking job there Brad. What issues did you have with it, I'm a bit keen to know having one in stock? :)

Steve.

Thanks guys. 

I found that the radiator interior parts were a poor fit, it required some plastic plugging and sanding forward of the tail wheel. The separate  dog house parts needed some filling and sanding. The canopy seems too narrow and I had to take plastic off the sides of the dash to get it to fit. I took some plastic off the top of the wheel wells to get the upper wing  to fit properly. There's not much of a locating hole for the under carriage leg so I just drilled a hole clean through the wheel wells and the top of the wing to secure the leg, thankfully it gives you enough of a pin on the gear leg to do this. Resin tail wheel and main gear parts are useless, it's almost impossible to get them off the casting block without them breaking, thus I scratch built a small bulkhead to fit the tail wheel into. Be careful cleaning up the matng surface of the canopy to the fuselage as well, it's got a lot of flash and it would be easy to sand off too much.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Very nice 'pony' :yes:. Can I ask, what paint did you use for the NMF

Thanks mate. I used Humbrol 27002 polished aluminium with a gloss black base coat.

40 minutes ago, Brad said:

I used Humbrol 27002 polished aluminium with a gloss black base coat.

I use Humbrol's aerosol polished aluminium over a grey primer and not really happy with the finish, find it hard work to get any shine...must be doing something wrong. I may have to put 27002 through my one and only airbrush but I'm never happy about putting metallic's through for fear of cross contamination. 

• Like 1