Transport/cargo group build?

Has there been discussion of a transport/cargo group build? This could encompass everything from transport aircraft (military and civilian), cargo ships and trucks.

• Like 2

Nothing that i can see in past group builds. But i haven't checked the Archives at the very bottom of the page ? Its seems like a good idea. Would it be open to aircraft conversions ? Say a WW2 B-25 or A-26 converted to an executive aircraft circa 1960 ? If so count me in. 

Dennis

I vaguely remember a suggestion for cargo planes and it didn't get anywhere. However, it's a good idea to open it up to ships, trucks and not just planes. It does raise the question of would or should it include vans, buses, lorries and as a grey area - space shuttle, someone from the USAF did describe it once as a very large cargo hauler :viking:

I agree that all Airliners should be included as “Passengers are just self loading cargo” anyway. 

I think this GB suggested is good enough to get up. I’ll back it. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 1

This sounds like a good one, I have plenty to fill the theme, with and without self-loading baggage :)

There is talk for another Airliner GB, so combining these two ideas would most likely garner more voting power when the time comes just like the upcoming Pacific War GB that has 3 sub-themes.

Yikes, I didn't expect this much feedback!

I was wondering about trains too, but trains could haul cargo, or people (or circus animals). Therefore, maybe the rule would be "vehicles designed for the express purpose of transporting cargo?" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Supertom ... You proposed a good idea and that attracted a lot of attention. I was curious if you thought about the conversion of a military bomber to a fast executive transport i asked about ? 

Dennis

The question is would the rule be that the conversion had to be put into production, or at least prototype phase? A C-97, while not an executive transport, started out as the B-29 so that could apply. What did you have in mind? 

Edited by Supertom
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking of an Onmark conversion of either a B-25 Mitchell or a A-26 Invader. They were converted to high speed Executive transports for corporations in the 1950’s and 1960’s. They had all military equipment removed.  That would have been replaced with a luxury interior the equivalent of a boeing 707 or lear jet interior installed. I can get photos if need be. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea.

I could be up for this - I have the new Special Hobby C-212 recently added to the stash and a Revell (Matchbox) DHC-6 Twin Otter. However I guess that cargo helicopters would also qualify..that will add a few more to choose from..Sea King HC4, EH-101, Mi-8, spring to mind.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:23 AM, Supertom said:

The question is would the rule be that the conversion had to be put into production, or at least prototype phase? A C-97, while not an executive transport, started out as the B-29 so that could apply. What did you have in mind? 

Funny you mention the B-29. A sole airframe was converted to a VIP transport for use in Europe post-war, would this also fit the bill?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the 1/72 Sanger Blackburn Beverley, as its Vacform, I'll probably need about a year to complete it, please bear this in mind if we get this GB off the starting blocks.

Link below will be really useful if I ever attempt it.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981287-blackburn-b-101-beverley/ 

cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would have a go at this too if we are lucky enough to attract the entrants and the votes!

I have plenty of aircraft, ships and a bus that could work with the idea.

Fingers crossed,

Ray