Another Airfix Me 262

Valkyrie

I used to think the Me262 was a fictional aircraft when I was a young boy reading war comics and it never crossed my mind to ever build one. Arguably every bit as historic as a Spitfire this will be my first attempt at the world’s first operational jet fighter. Heard great things about the kit too as would appear others have also hence we have a few in the GB. Likely mine will be out of the box unless I research a machine I have decals for.

• Like 4

I've not started mine yet, but had a good look in the box and the instructions are nice and clear. I've been given an area to watch out for is connecting the engines to the wing.

• Thanks 1

I will look out for that thanks Ozzy. I haven’t even looked in the box yet but your teaser has encouraged me to do it with excitement and anticipation. 

• Like 1

welcome aboard and with the popular model of the build and certainly the newest in this scale. All the others are starting to get a bit old now and most need a proper update.

Plus you are right it is in a lot of ways just as important aircraft as the Spitfire was.

Well good luck with the build, I hope it's an enjoyable one and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Invaluable tips for getting engines to sit correctly and progressing nicely, but that’s it for today, the surgery was intense as was fitting all the bits up, but we have an airframe at least which will cement together overnight.

29536168378_804dca06ba_b.jpg

• Like 1

nice to see you're off to a great start.

that trick of chopping up the wings to get the engines to fit right does look to be the way to go. from the photo it looks like you have very little to clean up with those joins...nice.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice to see you're off to a great start.

that trick of chopping up the wings to get the engines to fit right does look to be the way to go. from the photo it looks like you have very little to clean up with those joins...nice.

Thanks Rich, yes without the engine save fix broadcast on the GB this would definitely have went into the captured birds of WWII GB lol (Not sure if that’s been done) but that’s only place it would have been fit for. It is snap fit in places and the engines to wing join will only require a second or two fine sanding and the dust will fill the minute gap. I had lined up 2 to 3 to prime today, no rain for 3 weeks and what’s it doing now? So small details indoors 

Edited by Valkyrie

Having a strop. Found the canopy to be a bit scratchy not particularly see through, nor fit very well, plus still not overly impressed with micro Kristal Klear for canopy fixing. But could just be me. This will be canopy closed although the cockpit is nicely detailed to be posed open. 

42520090205_993171e128_b.jpg

• Like 2

the does look nice and tidy. I've used their primer before, it's really nice to use and goes on like a breeze. Their XF-19 or 20 works just as nicely as the primer as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, trickyrich said:

the does look nice and tidy. I've used their primer before, it's really nice to use and goes on like a breeze. Their XF-19 or 20 works just as nicely as the primer as well.

I really love the XF-19, best paint in the world, never thought about using as a primer, great idea!!! Thanks Rich

Some small painting today, tamiya silver by brush on engine intakes. First go at black basing my canopy, see if it can encourage some additional detail. Order placed for RLM 76 lictblau= Tamiya AS-5, RLM 83 Dunkelgrun= Tamiya AS-24 so should be able to start main airframe soon as she’s primed and ready to go

42872997584_1ff775cc26_b.jpg

• Like 2

Tamiya AS-5 Luftwaffe light blue on undersides half fuselage and tail. I have only now thought about having to merge the two and do the mottling....using spray cans....ah, any advice?

As with most of Tamiya AS range it goes on with a silky pro finish, brilliant paints and this Luftwaffe RLM range is my first use of it but have 3 FW190s, an Me 109 and Ju 87 in the line.

28728827807_182aca5f52_b.jpg

• Like 1

Not long left in this GB, so I thought I would start a really intricate time consuming hand cut mottle masking with tamiya tape. Only way I could think to replicate the mottling whilst using a spray can instead of brush

43633426141_84dd5a10fc_b.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

For the smaller squiggles and dots you could use Blutac. I've done that before.

Wish I’d thought of blutac, next build will be trialled 

Definitely blutac next time, although I am pleased with the results of the painstaking tamiya tape hand cut masking, I think the blutac would maybe have given the faded spray effect where the colours meet you really need for this paint job 

42743632935_4c1831c746_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Rich! Being pernicity I think the blue is a bit high and a bit mountainy looking, but it’s my first go and I kind of like it. Not sure I am able to fix it without adding significant time on, decals might lift it 

loving this build though 

Luckily I see none of the other Airfix oob builds have went for the Bavaria version. Firstly the instructions on placing from Airfix were wrong and back to front plus the decals themselves were brittle. I’d write to them but it will be the same scenario as the Mustand control stick and radio mast debacle...oh we know you have already forked out for the kit but to fix our mistake send us more money and postage costs and we’ll send you replacements...not happy 

il prob just bin this now

41900095450_2fd8ce3bce_b.jpg

• Sad 1