Revell 1/72 FW190 SG/4 Luftwaffe Italy

Fw190 S4 Italy

Here is my entry, SG/4 based at Piacenza, Italy. Having done some extensive research on this wing and the Italian deployment in the region I am still not sure which actual aircraft I will depict but she will be in this type of scheme. I have built about 5 of these and all were early efforts in my modelling career so hoping to build an accurate displayable one. I take it this is eligible? 

• Like 8

Hi Valkyrie,

a Fw 190 is very good, but a Fw 190 in a sand and spinach paint scheme is even better!

Piacenza is closer to Lombardy than the sea,but I guess that in the grand scheme of things, it is part of the MTO!

I am interested to see how the Revell 190 builds, so will follow!!!

Have fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi Valkyrie,

a Fw 190 is very good, but a Fw 190 in a sand and spinach paint scheme is even better!

Piacenza is closer to Lombardy than the sea,but I guess that in the grand scheme of things, it is part of the MTO!

I am interested to see how the Revell 190 builds, so will follow!!!

Have fun!

JR

Thanks Jean, it is a nice scheme and this particular unit is well worth a good bit of researching. I have built a few Revell FW190s anf they are easy builds, the sand and spinach scheme as you call it takes a bit of practice and each aircraft has differences, some had large dark green patches and some had small dark green patches close together.

• 1 month later...

Sandbraun RLM 81 and  Dunkelgrun RLM 82 by Lifecolor, first paints i ever extensively researched in my serious return to the hobby. I also hope my research on Luftwaffe aircraft particularly the FW190s of SG4 and my 5 previous builds will stand me in good stead as on making a start this evening....there are no instructions in side the cover sheet, and misplaced my Luftwaffe codes, emblems and extras sheets....

42588132254_26623a0745_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 11:47 PM, stevej60 said:

Good choice be nice to see a different scheme on a 190  rather than the usual gray's

Thanks Steve, i think it really suits the camouflage 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going to be doing a 190 from II.SG/4 from the Anzio landings. The fighter bomber variant from that did not have the outer wing machine guns and therefore did not have the wing bubbles on top or shell casing houses underside so the only drilling required is for the centre line bomb rack. A mistake I’d made with my previous builds. Better research really aids an accurate build. Similarly where all my cockpits were painted RLM 02, they should be RLM 66. For this I’m using RLM 75, grauviolet as RLM 66 I think is the only Luftwaffe colour I don’t have.

43501082692_cc1bb077ee_b.jpg

• Like 1

UIn my rush to get her closed up I forgot to take pictures of the cockpit I spent a bit of time on. The ip in the kit is highly detailed with a great decal to go with. Side panels also have great raised detail.

42683798425_7ac6917711_b.jpg

Achtung signage decal and tamiya tape harnesses with buckles done, bit of weathering to cockpit. Engine slotted in nicely but overall there is a lot of flash to deal with. The fuselage mounted machine gun box is tricky to fit too but I like how it sits out as it’s a real flap on the a/c. Wing assembly to fuselage does leave huge gaps on the dry fit. Either filling required or spruce gates to widen fuselage to meet the roots, or tape the wings slightly inverted and glue. Let all this stick together this evening...

41782125650_e4663980cf_b.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, I tried a sprue gate within the fuselage to close up the huge gaps in the wing root area to spread the fuselage out to meet the wings. You need two, one at the front like below, which worked a treat, but I forgot to put one at the rear end of the cockpit so after priming tonight (pic2) I noticed the gap. Filler or something clever. Also attached the bomb rack and primed small parts.  I used a spare canopy from my massive FW190 spares box to quickly cover the cockpit.

42900996704_a17e467247_b.jpg

42900996854_9571252d7e_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Research shows that there were 2 possible RLM underside colours of either RLM 76 or 78 and there were at least 3 shades of each! Whilst waiting on £100+ of research books to drop to provide the definitive answer....I embarked on a wee show and see, which probably every Luftwaffe subject modeller has had to do at some point

43082768314_f5d9f0452d_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 02/08/2018 at 09:12, Valkyrie said:

Research shows that there were 2 possible RLM underside colours of either RLM 76 or 78 and there were at least 3 shades of each! Whilst waiting on £100+ of research books to drop to provide the definitive answer....I embarked on a wee show and see, which probably every Luftwaffe subject modeller has had to do at some point

43082768314_f5d9f0452d_b.jpg

I would go for rlm 76 if the aircraft was resprayed in theater, also if it was resprayed before rlm 79 was available it could have  be an Italian sand colour used. Nick

• Thanks 1

Here is my progress. Dunkelgrun spots brush painted. Lightly first coat then second and third is only applied to the centres to give a faded overspray effect. White wing tips underside done as is most of the small assemblies such as the bomb in RLM 02 and the prop blades in schwarz grün. All topped off with a coat of humbrol klear. It spotted and split for some reason but a going over before it dried helped to even it out

43841369622_2e400a4ceb_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 5:01 PM, Niknak said:

I would go for rlm 76 if the aircraft was resprayed in theater, also if it was resprayed before rlm 79 was available it could have  be an Italian sand colour used. Nick

Thanks Nick, I fancy a few Macchi builds so might delve into the purchase of some Italian paints if these were used by Luftwaffe based there too

7 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks Nick, I fancy a few Macchi builds so might delve into the purchase of some Italian paints if these were used by Luftwaffe based there too

There is a list of italian paints used by the luftwaffe in micheal ulmans book luftwaffe colours. Nick

2018-02-04_06-28-51

Edited by Niknak
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Niknak said:

There is a list of italian paints used by the luftwaffe in micheal ulmans book luftwaffe colours. Nick

2018-02-04_06-28-51

I NEED this book, thanks for this 

• Thanks 1

Well, think that’s a first for me every decal and stencil applied, 4 hours of concentrating but worth it. Let the Microsol set in hopefully loose the silvering one dry then a Klear coat for sealing and protecting.

30076487178_19e91f6cfd_b.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looking sharp Valkyrie.

Thanks Ozzy! I love the 190 especially in this scheme. I’ve just ordered the Eduard FW-190 F8 which has this same SG/4 scheme for white 1. Apparently it’s THE best 190 F-8 in 1/72. Iv built an Eduard Spit and MiG-15 and although tricky for me to put together, they did build into magnificent finished products. Hoping to squeeze a buddy in in the group build...

Thanks for the comment! 

• Like 1

I do like the 190 myself, i was watching a program the other day I didn't know how widely used they were. A very versatile aircraft, with lots of modelling possibilities.

• Like 1

Indeed. Check out 'Scale Aircraft Modelling'  'Aircraft in Detail' features devoted to the A-series fighter variants (Vol 24 no. 9 November 2002), the Sturmgruppen bomber destroyers (Vol 23 no. 1 March 2001) and the Dora-9/Ta 152 series (Vol 27 No 12 February 2006). 

• Thanks 1