Multicultural Raspberry Ripple Phantom

F-4K Phantom FG.1 XT597

A&AEE, 1980s

This one started life as a 1/72 Matchbox original issue RAF Phantom. I had made a couple of these many years ago (before Fujimi) and I remembered the difficulties with undercarriage and canopy amongst other things. But now, having made various Hasegawa, Esci and Fujimi Phantoms, the spares box seemed to be overflowing with drop tanks, tailplanes, etc so time to put them to good use, so this one has :

Basic Airframe – Matchbox

Seats – Aeroclub white metal

Canopy – from Monogram F-4J

Undercarriage – from Fujimi F-4J

Tailplane – from Esci F-4J

Drop tanks and pylons – from Fujimi F-4J

The nose cone also was completely reshaped – initially to represent the basic F-4K shape, but then had the Doppler antenna added underneath which is unique to XT597.

Finish was Halfords Appliance White, Xtracolour Post Office Red and Xtracolour Oxford Blue. Main decals came from Xtradecal but I used the old Modeldecal sheet for the fuselage red stripes and extensive stencilling. By the way, Xtradecal provide large white underwing serials but I could find no photographic evidence of this aircraft carrying them so i left them off. It’s a pity that Xtradecal didn’t provide the A&AEE A Squadron fin badge which was carried by this aircraft – I’m claiming that it wasn’t applied initially.

One day I will dig out my other two Matchbox Phantoms from the attic (an RN 892 Sqn FG.1 and RAF 29 Sqn FGR.2) for a joint photoshoot...

Phantom 01

Phantom 02

Phantom 03

Phantom 04

Phantom 05

Phantom 06

Phantom 07

Phantom 08

Chris

• Like 24

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Phantom 👍 ... Never quite understood why it is called Raspberry ripple though ? 

Maybe this will give you a clue?

944ee89c-a072-42d1-956f-fa013cb1d83c.jpg

Great modelling too.

• Like 1

Very nice indeed,..... I remember seeing this aircraft flying over my barracks from nearby Boscombe Down,..... along with quite a few other classics!!! 

I`ve always wondered about the `rasberry ripple' name,..... I`ve never seen blue in a rasberry ripple ice cream! 

Cheers

Tony