Catch a Falling Star

USAF s/n 64-14858, a JC-130H with the 6593rd Test Squadron, 6594th Test Group out of Hickam AFB. Images taken at Edwards AFB in November 1984.

As the tail motif reflects, this squadron's primary mission was Project Catch a Falling Star, the mid-air retrieval of reconnaissance satellite film canisters over the Pacific Ocean near the Hawaiian islands.

64-14858 6593ts KEDW 19841104 23cr

64-14858 6593ts KEDW 19841104 19cr

64-14858 6593ts KEDW 19841104 14cr

The C-130 and their accompanying HH-53Cs took over the mission from the C-119J and HH-3. TheBaron currently is running a WIP for the C-119J with modifications for mid-air retrieval.

Print Scale has a decal sheet, 72-134, for an HH-53C from the 6594th Test Group. I don't think anyone does the markings for the JC-130.

Thanks for looking,

Sven

• Like 18

12 hours ago, Britman said:

When will the manufacturers give us a really decent kit in both 144th and 72nd that doesn't brake the bank?

That's the crux of the matter, isn't it? I've got four different 1/72 Herk kits, and I've been put off by all of them when I see what needs to be done to make them more-or-less accurate. Would love to see a RoG Herk considering what they've done with the Atlantic and A400 in recent years.

Don't tell anyone, but I wanted to be a Herk driver when I was in officer training. When I was a teen, I watched the New York ANG 106th ARRS practice picking up dummies from boats off the coast of Long Island with the Fulton system. Thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. So I would have to build an HC-130E. 

My second Herk model would have to be a stock C-130E from what was then called "The Hollywood Guard".

When I was in Test Pilot School, the 115th Tactical Airlift Squadron of the California ANG would bring a C-130E to Edwards every six months for each class to take their aircraft performance phase final exam. Of the 24 students in my class, only one pilot had previous C-130 time and most of the pilots were fast jet types, so this exam was the first (and only) time most of us had ever been at the controls of a Herk. A student team of a pilot and flight test engineer would put the aircraft through its paces and take data for a final report. An ANG instructor pilot would man the right seat to make sure we didn't do anything stupid. To keep it interesting almost all of the test points were done with one engine shut down and all test points had to be completed in a fixed period of time. We got extra points if we had enough time to execute a tower-fly-by before pitching up and turning to the base leg for landing. Great fun diving for the eastern shore of Rogers Dry Lake bed and making a level pass at about 100 feet off the deck. I think that fly-by was the maneuver that made the ANG pilot the most nervous. 

62-1851, my TPS performance exam Herk.

62-1851 146taw ca-ang KEDW 19810900 22cr

Sven - long retired flight test engineer

Edited by Old Viper Tester
photo added
  • Like 8

• 2 years later...
On 5/9/2018 at 6:23 PM, Red Dot said:

Wonder what happened when they missed the cannister? 🙂

If the Herk crew missed the cannister mid-air (and that was a rare occurrence), the HH-53C crews came into play. Their helicopters were equipped with a winch system in the rear cargo compartment that was used to lift the film canister out of the water. The cannister was then recovered into the cargo compartment through the rear cargo door.  As far as I am aware, the HH-53Cs had their own Hercules dedicated to the mid-air refueling role for the long-range missions that were required. 

Decals in 1/72 and 1/48 are available for the 6594th HH-53Cs. I'm not sure what is there for the C-130.

BM. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/9/2018 at 7:37 AM, Old Viper Tester said:

Print Scale has a decal sheet, 72-134, for an HH-53C from the 6594th Test Group. I don't think anyone does the markings for the JC-130.

Thanks for looking,

Sven

Caracal released a C-130 decal sheet with a JC-130B on it, you could use most of the markings on the sheet to make a JC-130H (Serial number change required).