1/72 Meteor night fighter

It's back to the 50s again and another old bargain, the Matchbox Meteor night fighter. I'll be making this one out of the box, as WS810 of 264 Sqn, an NF.14, the version which I've always considered the nicest looking of all Meteor variants (along with the F.8). 

The decals look quite good for an old kit, and there's no flash on any of the parts or sprues. I've made notes to use the same nose as the NF.12 (ie. not the extra long one erroneously purported to be for the NF.14) and the wider engine intakes.

I'll be painting the Meteor in its 50s colours of dark sea grey/dark green camo and medium sea grey lower, I believe for this aircraft with the high demarcation line. 

IMG12581525807342.jpg

• Like 5

I think the Belgians only flew earlier NF versions. Mine will definitely be RAF, 264 Sqn from Linton-on-Ouse, as the kit decals, they look pretty good.

There's one for £12 Inc delivery on eBay. It has taken some effort, but I have resisted.

There's a CyberHobby/Dragon one for £11 in my LMS, but I'm having that once my resolve crumbles.

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 1

Always safer to belt up ...

IMG34101525963945.jpg

Pilot's instrument panel. I painted it all over then just dabbed on a kitchen towel to gently wipe off the layer over the instruments themselves. Matchbox didn't include any cockpit decals.

IMG34111525963939.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 2

The top of the fuselage needed a bit of filling where the top section joined front and back. I found out it's best to sand the dry filler before removing the tape as that saves filing away the surface detail next to the gap. 

IMG34131526027682.jpg

• Like 2

I think this is close enough to medium sea grey. Looking at photos it looks as though quite a few Meteors had faded paint too. I'll mask and spray the upper surfaces dark sea grey then hand paint Tamiya XF-81 dark green.

Unless anyone knows of more realistic colours for Meteor NF.14s? I assume they were the same upper colours as Meteor F.8s, Hunters and Javelins?

IMG34311526303032.jpg

• Like 2

Masked then dark sea grey spray applied. I'll let this dry overnight now then hand paint the dark green.

IMG34341526314132.jpg

IMG34331526314136.jpg

IMG34351526314134.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 3

This looks good! Definitely not one of Matchbox’s finest hours fit-wise.

I’ve just finished a PR.10 conversion using an Aeroclub conversion set so know all about filler!

25515506877_4964f18089_b.jpg

First time I’ve carved off filler........

Trevor

• Like 3

It's a small cockpit but I've tried to make it as detailed as my ability allows. 

Matchbox didn't provide any instrument panel decals for this one. I used a cut up Attacker instrument decal for the nav's panel, and painted the little green screen in there.

IMG34371526328478.jpg

• Like 2