Hawker Siddeley Trident 1C

Trident 1C G-ARPK

British Airways, Heathrow, 1970s

This is the Airfix kit, of course, but this was refurbished after an original build back in the early 90s. The original build had the classic Red Square BEA livery, but it’s white paint (enamel in those days) had gone a fetching shade of cream. I had also attempted extended flaps, spoilers and droop but was never very happy with it so in the refurbish I glued everything shut, filled it with Milliput and gave it all a good sanding, re-profiling the old Airfix wing in the process. This is what it used to look like :

Trident G-ARPF002

Trident G-ARPF001

This time around I also added about 4mm to the fin chord (the original never looked right), added some wing root fairings (they’re very different port and starboard by the way) and generally tidied up the shapes of most things. Why didn’t I put those classic BEA markings back? Mainly because I bought 2 other Tridents to do the red square and speedjack versions....sometime...

Trident 08

Trident 07

Trident 06

Trident 05

Trident 04

Trident 02

My original plan was to do G-ARPF again, but then found out that it never made it to the final BA scheme and hence G-ARPK!

Chris

• Like 31

Hi Chris,

great refurbishment work! I am not really an airliner man, but I a soft spot for the Trident, as I used to travel a lot in it many, many eons ago.

Beautiful result!!!

JR

Very neat result of the refurbishment – looks like a commercial desktop model.

I'm not an airliner man, either, but I do admire modelling skills in whatever form. 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

I used to like travelling in the Trident.

I thought it the working mans Caravelle (belt and braces) and not quite the panache..... but a nice aeroplane.

Great looking Trident ! 26 decals ? if they were how were they.

Lots of noise and smoke !

Excellent job Chris.  :thumbsup:

It's good to see you've added the wing-fuselage fairings which are very often overlooked.  The extra fin chord also makes quite a difference.  

I hope we'll see the Red Square and Speedjack before too long.

Dave G

Hi Chris,

Great job you've made refurbishing the old girl, I agree with Dave regarding the extra chord on the fin, it really improves the whole look of the model. Along with the work you've done on the wings and fairings that's a pretty decent 1C!

Looking forward to your Red Square and Speedjack Tridents.

Cheers,

Ian