Westland Sioux AH.1

Westland Sioux AH.1

660 Squadron, Army Air Corps, Topcliffe, Yorkshire, 1968

Way back in the mid 60s I remember going past Waddington in my Dad’s car. My eyes were glued to the camouflaged Vulcans, but as I watched a Sioux hover taxied past making a contrasting impression on a young teenager. And so in memory of that time I recently ambled through Italeri’s fiddly little kit, and here is the result (I’m still waiting to do the Vulcan, which has been in the stash in the attic for....quite a long time)

Sioux 04

Sioux 08

Sioux 07

Sioux 06

Sioux 03

Sioux 02

Chris

• Like 53
  • Thanks 1

These photos must have been taken with one hell of a magnifying lens!

Beautiful build indeed!

JR

Very neat '47! Somehow, I think that Italeri's 1:72nd mouldings look better in camouflage – the dark colours seem to make the tail boom tubing less massively overscale than it really is.

Excellent work within the unavoidable mouldning limitations.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat '47! Somehow, I think that Italeri's 1:72nd mouldings look better in camouflage – the dark colours seem to make the tail boom tubing less massively overscale than it really is.

Excellent work within the unavoidable mouldning limitations.

Kind regards,

Joachim

There's no doubt the framing is too big. I had intended to reduce the thickness but when you start to work with it you realise that Italeri compromised quite well to give a workable kit without it being impractically fragile.

• Like 2

An excellent looking Sioux that belies it's tiny proportions in 1/72.  I did some filming with the AAC's airworthy one a few years back.  A lovely aircraft.  The guys and gals at Middle Wallop couldn't have been more helpful.  The colonel even bought me a pint in the officer's mess. 

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice indeed. I have FIVE of these kits and plan to make the Army's Blue Eagles team, as I flew with them in 1970. Like flying in a goldfish bowl!