Defiant - Airfix - 1/72

I was so impressed with the skill and patience in bringing this kit to such a fine finish - especially the exhaust staining - that I failed to notice the appalling colouring of the fin flash. Absolutely terrible. I mean, really the whole thing is just well, still a great piece of work! 

Michael

• Like 1

If you look at this image then you will see that the markings on the tail of PS-U are different to the rest (apart from PS-Z!).  Probably pre-war colours?  lets not open that can of worms 🙂

Boulton_Paul_Defiant_crown-copyright.jpg

Tim

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Fishbed said:

If you look at this image then you will see that the markings on the tail of PS-U are different to the rest (apart from PS-Z!).  Probably pre-war colours?  lets not open that can of worms 🙂

Boulton_Paul_Defiant_crown-copyright.jpg

Tim

Wow.

Great picture.

I can see where Airfix got their idea from.

Super work, that is a really exquisite Defiant you have made there!

I must admit that these new tools are a real eye opener for an old fart like me who remembers building the antique release from a blister pack in the mid-late 70's... I remember not being particularly pleased with my model back then even with the critical sensibilities of a 8-9 year old!

You're sorely tempting me to pick one of these red boxes up and give it another bash forty years on... There is a nightfighter option you say? Uh-oh...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazontipede said:

Super work, that is a really exquisite Defiant you have made there!

I must admit that these new tools are a real eye opener for an old fart like me who remembers building the antique release from a blister pack in the mid-late 70's... I remember not being particularly pleased with my model back then even with the critical sensibilities of a 8-9 year old!

You're sorely tempting me to pick one of these red boxes up and give it another bash forty years on... There is a nightfighter option you say? Uh-oh...

Oh yes! A nightfighter with a shark mouth...

Very nice, I'm actually currently working on this kit too but I'm doing the night fighter version.

How was the flash on yours? Mine is not great. On some parts it actually seems less like flashing and more like the molds were slightly mis-aligned. Otherwise it is a nice kit though, cockpit detail is quite decent for 1/72 as is the rest of the kit. I did add riveting to it though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marco said:

Oh yes! A nightfighter with a shark mouth...

A nightfighter with a shark mouth??

Augh!

You. Are. Not. Making. It. Easy. To. Resist!

Dammit, resistance is futile. I must have one!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CzarPeppers said:

Very nice, I'm actually currently working on this kit too but I'm doing the night fighter version.

How was the flash on yours? Mine is not great. On some parts it actually seems less like flashing and more like the molds were slightly mis-aligned. Otherwise it is a nice kit though, cockpit detail is quite decent for 1/72 as is the rest of the kit. I did add riveting to it though.

There was a little flash.

The misaligned parts were a bit annoying. Some panel lines didn't meet and needed rescribing.

img_20180322_082231.jpg?w=736

On 5/12/2018 at 9:06 AM, Marco said:

There was a little flash.

The misaligned parts were a bit annoying. Some panel lines didn't meet and needed rescribing.

img_20180322_082231.jpg?w=736

Yeah I had to spend quite a lot of work on that as well. One nice thing was I didn't have to use any filler. 

This is where I'm at right now, I'm basing it off a photo I found of an extremely weathered night fighter version. 

IMG_20180514_172114.jpgimage host

97f20e90ffb474beb28744d490213606.jpg

Edited by CzarPeppers

10 hours ago, CzarPeppers said:

Yeah I had to spend quite a lot of work on that as well. One nice thing was I didn't have to use any filler. 

This is where I'm at right now, I'm basing it off a photo I found of an extremely weathered night fighter version. 

IMG_20180514_172114.jpgimage host

97f20e90ffb474beb28744d490213606.jpg

That´s some weathering.

Nice job.

• Like 1

Whoa there CZP are you sure that isn't a Japanese aircraft? ;)

Bonkers weathering, it looks great!

Marco, you've successfully tempted me to the Dark Side by saying the magic word (sharkmouth) and I now have in my hot little hands one of these kits too. It sure looks nice.

Being the sort who can never do anything simply or sensibly, I'm thinking of setting aside the AI Mk.IV aerials out of my Tamiya Mossie NF.II/FB.VI kit (I intend to build this as a Banff FB.VI so these bits are spares) and trying my hand at an AI equipped Defiant NF.IA. These seem to have been the result of a few Defiant NF.I being fitted with AI sets modified to AI Mk.IVa standard* in early '41 (Feb-Mar?) prior to the introduction of the AI equipped Defiant NF.II.

More research is obviously required. Or I'll just do the sharkmouth. Or both. Anyway, it's all your fault. B)

*If a handful of conversions can be called 'standard'...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazontipede said:

and I now have in my hot little hands one of these kits too.

Well, Marco et. al., it looks like you've accomplished a real feat of inspiration there!

And with good reason - it's a beautiful build.

That B&W Defiant photo is incredibly evocative too - thanks for sharing it.

:clap:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

Whoa there CZP are you sure that isn't a Japanese aircraft? ;)

Bonkers weathering, it looks great!

Marco, you've successfully tempted me to the Dark Side by saying the magic word (sharkmouth) and I now have in my hot little hands one of these kits too. It sure looks nice.

Being the sort who can never do anything simply or sensibly, I'm thinking of setting aside the AI Mk.IV aerials out of my Tamiya Mossie NF.II/FB.VI kit (I intend to build this as a Banff FB.VI so these bits are spares) and trying my hand at an AI equipped Defiant NF.IA. These seem to have been the result of a few Defiant NF.I being fitted with AI sets modified to AI Mk.IVa standard* in early '41 (Feb-Mar?) prior to the introduction of the AI equipped Defiant NF.II.

More research is obviously required. Or I'll just do the sharkmouth. Or both. Anyway, it's all your fault. B)

*If a handful of conversions can be called 'standard'...

hahaha!🙂😈

Get one of these too:

img_20180311_112054239.jpg?w=736

img_20180319_114201826.jpg?w=736

• Like 1