Qantas cheatline colour query

Hi Sturmovik,

Some images it looks orange in others it's a more ochre/light brown colour.

I was hoping someone had access to the actual colour Qantas used. If not I'll pop to a model shop and compare the paints they have.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian, 

I happen to work for said airline so like the theme of your thread for obvious reasons. I know that we recently painted our newest B737-800 (VH-XZP) in this retro livery and it's proved to be very popular with both staff and the flying public. I have access to the official paint drawings however as a shift worker and on days off, do not have access to this system until I return this Saturday. I'm not sure if will indicate any specific colour that can be matched with model paint, however I'll see what I can find out. 

To my eye, and from what I know it is an Ochre colour rather than any shade of Orange, however agree that if veiwed in certain lighting conditions it does look more orange than ochre? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Wow thanks, if you can find that info it'll really help! I doubt it can be matched directly with a model colour I agree but as long as I can get close I'm sure it can be tweaked by a little mixing.

There's no rush Saturday is fine I have plenty to get on with!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Sturmovik,

Thanks for the link that's very interesting, in particular the Humbrol mixing instructions. I might give that a go if I've got the colours here and let you know if it looks good.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Hmmm.... I thought I posted the comment yesterday. Looks like I did not hit the submit button!

The colour is Ochre, I think Humbrol Orange Lining (Hu82) is a good match.

I used it on my Australian Airlines B767 a few years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Sturmovik,

Thanks for the link that's very interesting, in particular the Humbrol mixing instructions. I might give that a go if I've got the colours here and let you know if it looks good.

Cheers,

Ian

Ha, Ha Ha. That post about the mixing instructions was posted by me! Wow, doesn't time fly!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ian, 

I happen to work for said airline so like the theme of your thread for obvious reasons. I know that we recently painted our newest B737-800 (VH-XZP) in this retro livery and it's proved to be very popular with both staff and the flying public. I have access to the official paint drawings however as a shift worker and on days off, do not have access to this system until I return this Saturday. I'm not sure if will indicate any specific colour that can be matched with model paint, however I'll see what I can find out. 

To my eye, and from what I know it is an Ochre colour rather than any shade of Orange, however agree that if veiwed in certain lighting conditions it does look more orange than ochre? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Dave,

You will most likely find the paint drawings will reference a Boeing colour, like the grey for the wings is a Boeing colour: BAC 707 grey (or 708).

• Like 1

@Turbofan, I've dragged myself back to work, however I'm afraid I've come up short.

The drawings for VH-XZP seem to have been removed from the database that I can access, so I'm unable to send through any official drawings of Orange paint codes.

Having said that, I can find the drawings for our second Retro 737 VH-VXQ, however (as Ray mentions) these are just Boeing paint codes that do not seem to match any known commercial equivalents.

Apologies - and kind regards... Dave  

Thanks for trying Dave, I really appreciate it.

What I'm going to do now is mix my own colour using Ray's 2005 recommendation of Humbrol 9 and 69 which I have in my tray of paint tinlets. Now I just need to find an image with a colour I'm happy with to match to!

Keep an eye on RFI for the finished model sometime over the summer.

Cheers,

Ian

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:42 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

@Turbofan, I've dragged myself back to work, however I'm afraid I've come up short.

The drawings for VH-XZP seem to have been removed from the database that I can access, so I'm unable to send through any official drawings of Orange paint codes.

Having said that, I can find the drawings for our second Retro 737 VH-VXQ, however (as Ray mentions) these are just Boeing paint codes that do not seem to match any known commercial equivalents.

What are the Boeing paint codes on the later aircraft ?

Looks as if the weather is going to be reasonable for PX.

@Mick4350

I'm afraid I can only access these drawings from work and as a shift worker, I'm now not due back until Monday. 

PM me your email address and I'll scan a set of these to you when I return. 

PX should be good, hope to pick up a bargain or five to add to the ever growing stash. See you there. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

There was a very weird mix quoted on a very old Hawkeye sheet by Steve Evans that was for Tamiya acrylics, used red, orange and RLM70 or something similar, I thought it would never make QF red which is what it stated it was, but I think that was totally wrong, and the decal sheet was for a later red/white 747, not the Ochre stripe version, but did mix it up and lo and behold it was came out Ochre, very close, but maybe just a tad too dark from 25 yo memory, and never painted anything in it, but could hunt it down if anyone is really interested.

Although I've never been to their hanger Flying Colours are the ones who painted Retro Roo II,

and are less than 5 kms from me, I could drop by and see what they can tell me if I can gain public access their office, and if anyone is really interested.

https://www.flyingcoloursaviation.com/press-releases

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the suggestion for the red, I painted the red ages ago and can't remember what I used!

For the ochre though I mixed Ray's suggestion of Humbrol 69 and 9 but in a ratio of 5 parts 69 to 1 part 9 as I found the 1 to 1 ratio too dark for my liking. It is possible my ratio is a tad too light but I needed to match the 'Australia' titles I have on the decal sheet. Those two colours definitely provided the best hue, IMHO, so thanks for the suggestion Ray!

All major painting done now so just the engines and undercarriage then my favourite part decals and detailing to do.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2018 at 7:51 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

I know that we recently painted our newest B737-800 (VH-XZP)

Here its is :)-   Seen at Melbourne 2nd May this year while waiting for the Cairns flight at stupid o'clock in the morning

721b75e4-9466-4b6c-bd76-8eb1ddaacbc2.jpg

Edited by Pinback
Typo
  • Like 2

On 5/16/2018 at 9:03 PM, Mick4350 said:

What are the Boeing paint codes on the later aircraft ?

Looks as if the weather is going to be reasonable for PX.

Mick, 

I can send you some drawings with these paint codes if you’d like. Send me a PM with your email address and what aircraft type(s) you’re specifically after and I’ll shoot some stuff through. 

Must have missed you at PX. I was hovering around a table in the middle row at the far end, the good looking chap chatting with two fat blokes!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Must have missed you at PX. I was hovering around a table in the middle row at the far end, the good looking chap chatting with two fat blokes!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

I was there and tried to ask some IPMS members to find you, but obvious we did not meet. I was everywhere until midday and bought only two kits. I'll send you a PM when I can figure how to do it.

Mick