This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

So to go with the build of my 1/72 Academy Schwimmagen I tried my hand at a simple diorama to try and mimic this famous photo. I haven't really done many dioramas so this could be a bit of hit and miss.

Men from 1st SS Panzer Div at Kaiserbaracke crossroads, between St. Vith and Malmedy, December 1944.

A piece of insulating foam cut to shape with the sides painted dark acrylic grey

41864984792_0c86c0d8c7_b.jpgBase 1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Ground work was a mix of white glue, wall filler and some sand.

40100613590_643b49614f_b.jpgBase 2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I then painted it acrylic black to help with shadow and texture but I felt the groundwork was just too deep for a road going through a forest..

41864998882_4e94af1ce9_b.jpgBase 5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

So sliced it off and a lot less wall filler and white glue and hardly any sand...much happier.

41908325671_86500f1758_b.jpgBase 4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

At this stage, i forgot to take pictures of the groundwork but it was a stone gray for the road with dark earth & mud brown for detail in places. I also started on the road signs. These were printed on paper, scaled to about the right size and then glued to plastic card.

41908321731_dc69b8a6bb_b.jpgBase 6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Mounted onto a wooden skewer which was painted white and then the edges picked out in black.

41864991692_71daf8e50f_b.jpgBase 7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Final details were to add the photo to the front of the base and a 1/72 rifle hanging off the sign...you can see it here in a German newsreel at about 1:18

41908316391_648ff40d71_b.jpgBase 8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And with that, it's done! Will add some more pics in the RFI and thanks for looking.

40100610400_639d8bdc67_b.jpgBase 9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

That is brilliant - can I ask - which font did you use for the road signs - it is spot on.

Always great to see a diorama based on a period photograph. Well done sir!

Rearguards

Badder

9 hours ago, BIG X said:

That is brilliant - can I ask - which font did you use for the road signs - it is spot on.

Thanks very much everyone.

The font is 'Agency FB' which you can find in Microsoft Word...I applied 'bold' to it and while it's not 100% accurate, was as close as I could find.

44 minutes ago, Dermo245 said:

Thanks very much everyone.

The font is 'Agency FB' which you can find in Microsoft Word...I applied 'bold' to it and while it's not 100% accurate, was as close as I could find.

Thanks for that Dermo - I couldn't find anywhere on my system for some reason - but I've just downloaded it now - Perfect for a little project I have planned.

Fantastic build Dermot, you've captured the image very nicely.

Posted (edited)

Brilliant, that looks spot on to me. I'd love to see a closer shot of the schwim kubelwagen though.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Brilliant, that looks spot on to me. I'd love to see a closer shot of the schwim kubelwagen though.

Steve.

Thank you Steve and a couple more below..

39696544945_6794a1b968_b.jpg

25720802877_d6d0a4e46b_b.jpg

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links

Thanks, well worth a close up squizzry, you've done a great job of catching what is a lot happening within that group in such a small area. Nicely done indeed. :)

Steve.