1/48 F18 SUPER HORNET

Good evening everyone time for the latest build to go on show.

The Revell 1/48 F18 super hornet.Built entirely out of the box.As usual completely brush painted with enamels.

Good fitting moulding with good detail,no real problems as such only had to mix the blue paint to get a match with the blue decals.

All comments welcome

IMG_1313

IMG_1314

IMG_1316

IMG_1317

IMG_1318

IMG_1319

IMG_1320

IMG_1321

IMG_1322

IMG_1323

IMG_1324

IMG_1325

IMG_1326

IMG_1315

IMG_1327

• Like 30

35 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:worthy: Thats Brush painted ??? 🤯 Positively mind blowing. I built the “E” last year and had a lot of issues with the intakes. Curious to know if they worked better for you ? 

Dennis

Now you mention it I did have 2 go's at the intakes to get them right.I have never owned an airbrush,the thought of it kind of scares me so all my builds are brush painted.For good results I use a good quality flat brush about 10-12mm wide,thin coats painted fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now I know that I can try to get a kit done with a brush as I have the same fears. Plus I don’t have the space to do airbrushing. Wonderful wonderful job.

Any tips on the brush painting Chris?

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 1

great build - I love the undercarriage bays - is that extra wiring in there or just really well painted from the box?

Super build and model of the Super Hornet, nice to see this and well done on the brush painting - it scares me a lot more than airbrushing!

3 hours ago, FIGHTS ON said:

great build - I love the undercarriage bays - is that extra wiring in there or just really well painted from the box?

thanks for the comment,the bays are painted from the box.I was quite impressed with the details of the moulding for a lower end kit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Simon382 said:

Stunning result, thanks for sharing. What did you use to get that very realistic weathering effect?

Thanks for the comment,the weathering was done by drawing on the panel lines with a fine artist pen,nib is only .005 mm then before it dries lightly smudge with a cotton bud.Rivets are done with the same pen afterwards but left to dry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, whiskey said:

Now I know that I can try to get a kit done with a brush as I have the same fears. Plus I don’t have the space to do airbrushing. Wonderful wonderful job.

Any tips on the brush painting Chris?

Thanks for the comment.I find brush painting works best with a good quality flat brush 10-12mm wide.Paint a thin first coat and paint it fast so brush lines aren't left before it dries.A second coat is usually enough which is still done quickly getting a good finish before it dries to much.If required I use medical tape to mask off areas as it leaves no residue.

23 hours ago, whiskey said:

Thanks for the advice. What did you do for the panel lines, a wash? Did you prime it or base it with anything before adding the final coats?

I did the panel lines with a very fine tipped artists pen which I then lightly wipe over with a cotton bud to get the weathered effect I find this easier and more controlled than washes

• Like 1