1/6 Tamiya BMW R90S

I've been looking for this kit for 2 years. Finally got an unstarted kit off eBay a few months back. My plan was to paint it in the alternative colour that was daytona orange, all freehand airbrushed and the red pin stripes to be masked and airbrushed on. Am I up to the challenge? Well, let's find out.

First problem was Tamiya had cocked up the tank badge location, the tank badges should sit in a recessed circle just like the tail unit, well that was soon modified and I got the paintwork underway. More to come.

XYLzLIm.jpg
OPLHqWs.jpg
ihSc03I.jpg
nlvtdRS.jpg
aWlRTTx.jpg
TquC4ta.jpg
F2oSasN.jpg
QrZK9Qo.jpg
Enm2drJ.jpg
iaEkrkA.jpg
2g3Z3Ta.jpg
4aCz0Ie.jpg
BYsbfzK.jpg
yjZa2rD.jpg
fDc41D5.jpg
ifiErXL.jpg
xwuPPJF.jpg
RPmR7he.jpg
tH8J7Qv.jpg
dMObwX5.jpg
WAd7HXC.jpg
lxIUsqO.jpg
6hLlrcr.jpg
j6iC0va.jpg
v8BFcw3.jpg
RR93eAw.jpg
ACOyC7h.jpg
thxc0en.jpg
WduXB3i.jpg
uGECris.jpg
Zs97LVD.jpg
MuKzT7M.jpg
KYnC9ao.jpg
yiAvqiX.jpg
nN4Lc4D.jpg
GUxNS0w.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, this is the second update for the Tamiya 1/6 BMW R90S. Almost finished this interesting build, the kit dates back to the 70's and shows in places, Tamiya missed some details for the 90s, as this kit was originally a R750/5 hence I had to correct some parts that were not accurate. For example on the 90s the front brake discs were drilled, so I had to spend an hour drilling out the holes in the correct pattern, also the handlebar switchgear was for the 750, not the more modern looking 90s, so I had to scratch build new switchgear.

The metal castings on the engine cases, rear bevel gear housing and front fork lower sliders as well as the clock binnacle and inner fairing dashboard had a rough stippled pattern to them. The kit came with all smooth parts, but at this scale I felt the model needed the details, so I came up with a plan to distress the surface of the styrene.

I plunged each part into 2k thinners for a few seconds which starts to soften the surface, then I pushed the part into a bowl of sugar, the sugar crystals stuck to the soft styrene, then I washed the part under warm water to remove the sugar and like magic you are left with an accurate looking pattern on the styrene with no damage to the part.

Final reveal coming shortly, now where is that 13mm spanner!

T6FFYe1.jpg
xdc0Lqz.jpg
yX2JVmW.jpg
sgFrisD.jpg
bigJpEN.jpg
9r98qvK.jpg
dtMfijQ.jpg
aWM266D.jpg
abHPerS.jpg
bOUFMAV.jpg
YyBpWXR.jpg
JMoslvJ.jpg
Mt3TzR2.jpg
U8UOsYY.jpg
YFKyjk2.jpg

• Like 3

Fantastic build and finishes. The cast texture technique is something I'll try out, thanks for sharing.

Some of those assembly photos look like a real motorcycle disassembled in a driveway.

2 hours ago, Ted said:

Fantastic build and finishes. The cast texture technique is something I'll try out, thanks for sharing.

Some of those assembly photos look like a real motorcycle disassembled in a driveway.

Cheers Ted !

That's an absolute stonker Lee.

I was lucky enough to have 10 laps around Oulton Park on one of there stunning bikes at a BMW event one race day.  What a machine and streets ahead of the R75/5.

You have really captured the distinctive paintwork of the original.

Chris.

2 hours ago, stringbag said:

That's an absolute stonker Lee.

I was lucky enough to have 10 laps around Oulton Park on one of there stunning bikes at a BMW event one race day.  What a machine and streets ahead of the R75/5.

You have really captured the distinctive paintwork of the original.

Chris.

Cheers Chris !

Beautiful work to behold, Lee!  I think you've done a crackin' job, mate!!

If I may say, though ( just my personal opinion, of course), I think BMW made some lovely looking bikes, but their engines at the time, had to be among the worst looking EVER!!! 

Cheers, H

2 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Beautiful work to behold, Lee!  I think you've done a crackin' job, mate!!

If I may say, though ( just my personal opinion, of course), I think BMW made some lovely looking bikes, but their engines at the time, had to be among the worst looking EVER!!! 

Cheers, H

I am no fan of the boxer engine,i did love my r1150gs,but only because the handling and build quality were top draw,but got poor service from a local BM dealer.

• Like 1

Hi Lee!

Great build on the BMW, I love the paintwork the engine looks like it's been cast in alloy and weathered!!

I built the Police Bike version a few Years back,a great kit for It's age, went together really well, and I have The R75/5 in the stash (along with the Harley/sidecar combo, My last two 1/6 kits to do!)

Keep Sticking!  Cheers,  Pete

Edited by morty_3333

17 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

Hi Lee!

Great build on the BMW, I love the paintwork the engine looks like it's been cast in alloy and weathered!!

I built the Police Bike version a few Years back,a great kit for It's age, went together really well, and I have The R75/5 in the stash (along with the Harley/sidecar combo, My last two 1/6 kits to do!)

Keep Sticking!  Cheers,  Pete

Cheers Pete,yes all those kits are getting hard to find these days and at a reasonable price,i really want to get hold of a 1/6 Z1300 kit,although Tamiya made some nice kits Heller's approach to how they engineer the construction of their 1/8 kits is amazing,their BMW R750/5 has 20 individual engine fins to put together so you get no seams to deal with,and the Z1000 kit has 14,the Z engine is really superbly molded.

Hi Lee!

Will have to have a look at the 1/8 offerings,as You say the Tamiya 1/6 choice is drying up for Me now, the first biggie I built was the Z1300 Tourer,finished it when off work for My honeymoon (😮!) In 1984, the kit new cost Me £37! (Over half a weeks wages!!!)

Will get some pics posted of this one, a bit rare now.

Keep Sticking!    Cheers, Pete