F-4E Phantom II

As I will be going back to work on 17th I've pulled this out of the stash to tide me over for the remaining days of my leave.

IMG_6044

An old kit,  the instructions say 1984 but probably older, a nice simple build (hopefully) so fits the bill for a few days relaxation. My only concern is the decals which look a bit ropey. 

IMG_6045

If the worst comes to the worst and the finished model is worth it I'll get this set to replace them,

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MPEC72019

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice choice there, both markings and kit. 

I'm just trying to decide if I should go ahead and buy the Milspec decals or not. As there are two options included in the kit I could do a test run with the ones I don't intend on using. 

• Like 1

I personally have no real issues with Hasegawa or Tamiya decals. So i would try to use what i could from the kits decals. Scrounge or paint what i don't have. But thats me working in a very tight budget. If you feel like the A/m are easier and worth it id go that route. Once upon a time when i had $ i would almost always use A/m decals.  Thats why i have 4 binders full of them now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

Thanks for that Tim.

Looks like aftermarket decals then, £7.99 + postage... ouch! 

Let me check my spares.  I've got some for Michigan ANG - just not certain they're F-4E. 

10 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Here they are, still not sure of the Mk.

63 numbers were all F-4Cs.

64s were F-4Ds.

F-4E started in '66.   

Thanks very much Tim, unfortunately I think those are for a C. It's a shame as the Michigan ANG F-4's I've found photos of look really nice.

I appreciate you digging them out though.

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks like a C or D Phantom. You could always put a wanted post in the sales area ? 

I might just do that, I'll experiment with the unused ones on the kit sheet first.

Great choice Roger !

I'll come to see from time to time

Really like the Phantom, It's also a bent wing bird is n't it ?

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Hello Roger,

Was'nt sure but I get in my stock and found this

WP_20180508_11_06_22_Pro

Those are bought by my late little brother years ago, and I will never use it since I'm more a 48 guy !

there's 3 F-4E, the famous "Betty Lou" 469th TFS, the "Wreckin crew" 34th TFS and the F-4E of Steve Ritchie 58th TFS

If you're interested, PM your adress and I send it for free.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Roger,

Was'nt sure but I get in my stock and found this

Those are bought by my late little brother years ago, and I will never use it since I'm more a 48 guy !

there's 3 F-4E, the famous "Betty Lou" 469th TFS, the "Wreckin crew" 34th TFS and the F-4E of Steve Ritchie 58th TFS

If you're interested, PM your adress and I send it for free.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

That's fantastic, thank you very much indeed. PM inbound.

• Like 1

I built this kit (different box & decals, but otherwise the same) when I got back into modeling last year. With a little care it can look pretty nice.

34166628526_889cefa42c_c.jpg

Biggest problem  (like many other Phantom kits) is the fit at the intakes and on the belly, where the wing joins the forward fuselage. And as you've discovered, the decals are terrible.

My WIP is at: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019428-trials-and-tribulations-an-old-dog-learning-new-tricks/  . Hope it helps.

Best of luck!

Edited by billn53
  • Like 5

Looking good! Filling and sanding is tiresome, but usually feels good when done! :)

Håkan

18 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Looking good! Filling and sanding is tiresome, but usually feels good when done! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan. Funnily enough just after posting those photo's I thought I'd just give it another little go and it's now looking much better. Filling and sanding is indeed tiresome work, I just needed a little rest. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good job Roger !

Have a pint on my behalf, well deserved ! :cheers:

Filling and sanding are the roots of modelling .... :owww:

Where would be the pleasure !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Good job Roger !

Have a pint on my behalf, well deserved ! :cheers:

Filling and sanding are the roots of modelling .... :owww:

Where would be the pleasure !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thank you. Funnily enough I had a pint in my break from filling and sanding lol.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Getting a bit fed up with filling and sanding now, I'm almost at the point of enough, that'll do.

IMG_6060

IMG_6062

IMG_6063

And the infamous ridge....

IMG_6059

That certainly brings back memories haha!  You're doing a fine job with this aged kit, keep at it! 

Edited by billn53